Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 09:13 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 09:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Send PM
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Consulting2Finance wrote:
I completed my interview on campus this week. While the school speaks for itself, I was really impressed with how well organized the day was for prospective students. It's not shocking Darden has one of the best ranked B-School administrations.

In addition, I was impressed with how welcoming and helpful everyone was, even those outside the formal recruitment circle. After completing my activities at Darden, I wanted to check out the Rotunda and was offered a ride by a stranger. After I decided to walk and explore campus, when I got lost and asked some for directions, the person was an alum that also worked in the alumni career services center and talked to me for 10 minutes about the school.

It was really an enjoyable trip. Darden showed well. Hopefully I did as well during my interview.

P.S. my "task" before class was to name 2 truths and 1 falsehood about myself and have the crowd guess. Luckily, the suggestion of a "dance off" was vetoed.

Glad to hear, thanks for the feedback, I'll send the message out!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Consulting)
Send PM
1/3 of the month to go...any Indians got an interview invite yet?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
I 've just got an interview invitation. The mail said that "An alumni interviewer will contact you within the next 10 business days to schedule your interview at a convenient location. If you are not interested in continuing the application process, please contact us as soon as possible. If you have not scheduled your interview within ten business days of receiving this invitation, please let us know."

I guess now I just sit tight waiting for the alumnus...One question: do I need to reply the email (I guess not, since it is sent from the common email address, just ask to be sure). Thanks!

FYI, i'm based in East Asia. Hope more interview invites will come for the rest here :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
International applicant here -Got an interview.

28/M/Europe 6 years-WE (telecom)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Got an invite too (my perfect record continues ;) )
M/25/Indian applicant here...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Got an interview at 8:50AM CT. International applicant working in the US.
The only available dates are Mar 1 and 2. is this odd?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hello all!
I got an interview invite today!
M/Indian

I tried to schedule but can't find any available dates at all!!! I have been invited for a skype interview. Did anyone else face this issue? I suppose I'll wait another day and if I still am not able to will call the school.

Also, is there any difference (w.r.t. the interest they have in the candidate) b/w a skype/alumni interview? I am from India so those are the only 2 options I suppose.
Retired Thread Master
Send PM
Gryphon wrote:
gablaze23 wrote:
If I have my interview on campus at 3PM, do you all think it's safe to book a flight at 9PM the same day leaving Dulles Airport? I have enough time, right?

If you leave Charlottesville by 5:00 PM you should be fine. Realistically, you could probably leave a little later, but you don't want to push it. There's a modest amount of traffic getting out of Cville, but it thins out after Ruckersville. From there, it's pretty clear sailing until you hit Gainesville where you connect with I-64, which leads you toward Dulles. Once on 64, you're going toward DC instead of out of it so it's a reverse commute that isn't all that bad. Of course, all it takes is a couple of wrecks and then it slows to a glacial pace. You just need to factor in that you're dropping a car. Security at Dulles isn't that bad, but could be better.

Follow up question: On the way to Charlottesville, are there any toll fees and whatnot?

When you rent a car they always ask whether you want the e-toll gadget. I know some highways/roads in the US do not have toll booths all together and require these gadgets. Please don't think I am a control freak, it's just that I paid almost $300 in toll fee penalties last December for not knowing this.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
gablaze23 wrote:
Gryphon wrote:
gablaze23 wrote:
If I have my interview on campus at 3PM, do you all think it's safe to book a flight at 9PM the same day leaving Dulles Airport? I have enough time, right?

If you leave Charlottesville by 5:00 PM you should be fine. Realistically, you could probably leave a little later, but you don't want to push it. There's a modest amount of traffic getting out of Cville, but it thins out after Ruckersville. From there, it's pretty clear sailing until you hit Gainesville where you connect with I-64, which leads you toward Dulles. Once on 64, you're going toward DC instead of out of it so it's a reverse commute that isn't all that bad. Of course, all it takes is a couple of wrecks and then it slows to a glacial pace. You just need to factor in that you're dropping a car. Security at Dulles isn't that bad, but could be better.

Follow up question: On the way to Charlottesville, are there any toll fees and whatnot?

When you rent a car they always ask whether you want the e-toll gadget. I know some highways/roads in the US do not have toll booths all together and require these gadgets. Please don't think I am a control freak, it's just that I paid almost $300 in toll fee penalties last December for not knowing this.

From Dulles I do not believe there are any from what I remember on my last drive out there.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 508 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
gablaze23 wrote:
Gryphon wrote:
gablaze23 wrote:

I drove from IAD and there were no toll roads.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
srjaidev wrote:
Hello all!
M/Indian

I tried to schedule but can't find any available dates at all!!! I have been invited for a skype interview. Did anyone else face this issue? I suppose I'll wait another day and if I still am not able to will call the school.

Also, is there any difference (w.r.t. the interest they have in the candidate) b/w a skype/alumni interview? I am from India so those are the only 2 options I suppose.

Hi srjaidev,

Did you receive an option between alumni or skype interview? I'm an Indian applicant too and I was told that an alum would contact me in the next 10 days.

My opinion is that the alum interview is much better than the skype one since you can connect on a personal level. The skype interview is much more mill-of-the-run thing if you know what I mean (P.S. - only heard from other sources, haven't actually given one). So I would prefer an alum interview for sure.

- V
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
vsetia wrote:
Hi srjaidev,

Did you receive an option between alumni or skype interview? I'm an Indian applicant too and I was told that an alum would contact me in the next 10 days.

My opinion is that the alum interview is much better than the skype one since you can connect on a personal level. The skype interview is much more mill-of-the-run thing if you know what I mean (P.S. - only heard from other sources, haven't actually given one). So I would prefer an alum interview for sure.

- V

I did not get a choice. I would choose the in-person alumnus interview too had I had the choice because there won't be any problems like poor network or power fluctuations, but then if I am able to create a good impression, then I have the advantage of the adcom being right there during the discussion of my candidacy.

I suppose it's skype interview for Bangalore folks while it is alumnus interview for Mumbai folks.

All the best, V! Hope we get to see each other at Charlottesville this summer :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
srjaidev wrote:
vsetia wrote:
Hi srjaidev,

- V

I did not get a choice. I would choose the in-person alumnus interview too had I had the choice because there won't be any problems like poor network or power fluctuations, but then if I am able to create a good impression, then I have the advantage of the adcom being right there during the discussion of my candidacy.

I suppose it's skype interview for Bangalore folks while it is alumnus interview for Mumbai folks.

All the best, V! Hope we get to see each other at Charlottesville this summer :)

Thanks! All the best to you too!

Considering Darden's essay this year, it leaves a lot to be said/done in the interviews I feel.

P.S. - I'm based in Delhi.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Send PM
vsetia wrote:
srjaidev wrote:
Hello all!
M/Indian

Hi srjaidev,

- V

I actually felt the same last year when I had the skype interview but it turned out to be exactly the same (except you can wear short pants as long as you don't get up). Don't worry about it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.66
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
vsetia wrote:
Considering Darden's essay this year, it leaves a lot to be said/done in the interviews I feel.

I asked the adcomm who conducted my interview about this. I do talent strategy work in my current job, and frankly adcomms are basically talent practitioners themselves imho. I was interested to know why Darden chose to have much shorter essays and if they felt they were still able to "see" as much about applicants using this method.

She basically said that the 150 word "career goals" and "community/learning team contribution" were giving the admissions team as much relevant information as previous longer essays, but cutting down the administrative time. She also said that it placed heavier burden on interviews and she was glad that the Darden interview remains so free-flowing as to give applicants more room to tell the stories they find most important.

Just one perspective...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Send PM
Along those same lines, when I visited campus another prospective student asked why there wasn't room to address "Why Darden?" anywhere in the application. The ADCOM flatly stated that they got tired of reading the same "Case Method is great" essay. You get the opportunity to demonstrate your knowledge of the program in person during the interview, where they can gauge your sincerity...as opposed to pulling some classes off the website and inserting them into an essay.
Retired Thread Master
Send PM
Anybody here going to the Open House on March 5?

I opted to have my interview on that day so I could attend the Open House. PM me if you want to meet up or maybe even share a ride.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  35   36   37   38   39   40   41  ...  57   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts