Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 13:13 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [3]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Operations, Statistics
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Sloan '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Re: Tepper 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Got my interview invite today, looks like I'll be flying in to check out the school at the same time.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [2]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Well, things went better than I could have ever imagined with Ross, so I have officially withdrawn from Tepper. Hopefully that will open 1 more spot for R2 decisions. I'm sad to let it go because my experiences with the entire community were amazing.

Good luck again to everyone this week. I wish you all the very, very best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Tuck, Kellogg, Tepper
Send PM
Kudos
method wrote:
Well, things went better than I could have ever imagined with Ross, so I have officially withdrawn from Tepper. Hopefully that will open 1 more spot for R2 decisions. I'm sad to let it go because my experiences with the entire community were amazing.

Good luck again to everyone this week. I wish you all the very, very best!

Congrats on Ross method!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q41 V42
GPA: 3.6
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Hi guys! Anybody knows at what time Tepper will start sending decision emails? Do they send financial support or scholarship information the same day?

It's the last decision I'm waiting for, I already have admits and partial scholarships from McCombs and Ross. I'm dying to know and make a decision. What do you guys say in McCombs Vs Ross Vs Tepper? I'm interested in entrepreneurship and social entreprise.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
aleboughton wrote:
Hi guys! Anybody knows at what time Tepper will start sending decision emails? Do they send financial support or scholarship information the same day?

It's the last decision I'm waiting for, I already have admits and partial scholarships from McCombs and Ross. I'm dying to know and make a decision. What do you guys say in McCombs Vs Ross Vs Tepper? I'm interested in entrepreneurship and social entreprise.

I can only comment on Ross vs Tepper throw down. I'd vote Ross for those two.

I know, i know, I haven't decided yet but i'm interested in operations, management science, and to a lesser extend consulting.

Tepper beats Ross in Ops and Management science but I think the brand of Ross is stronger than Tepper.

I like the smaller class size of Tepper for my money to be honest. I think you would probably get more attention and help to find your direction.

Ross is a great general management program with a lot to offer but it is bigger and you have to figure it out for yourself. More companies recruit at Ross which could help you find a job easier or get lost chasing everything that sounds interesting.

Ross has a greater focus on leadership training and communication (although Tepper just added it to the new Curriculum for the 2014 class)

I am not suggesting big class sizes equates to less attention or help but since I am considering these schools I am taking it to that level!

Method Care to Ad here?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
great post explorer, as always. kudos

Just to add my thoughts about Tepper (did not apply to Ross or McCombs). When I visited and spoke with current students, there was a general hesitancy about the effectiveness of the career center. "They're helpful...but..." sort of thing.

I'm not sure how they fare in entrep/social entreprise but I feel that Ross has the upperhand in terms of reputation, resources, and class diversity. You'll find more people with similar interests...or diverse but complementary...to help you out.

Re decision emails and financial support, I got my R1 email around 3pm on decision day. Financial info is included.

And since you have admits/$$ from other schools, do not be afraid to NEGOTIATE - it works if you can make a good argument. They gave me a 50% increase in my scholarship money after a few friendly emails.

GOOD LUCK!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
purpleshirt wrote:

Just to add my thoughts about Tepper (did not apply to Ross or McCombs). When I visited and spoke with current students, there was a general hesitancy about the effectiveness of the career center. "They're helpful...but..." sort of thing.

GOOD LUCK!

interesting, poets and quants had their career services department get high marks. I thought that was a strength of the school. I guess it varies though.

I'm not 100% clear on my goals so I'd love to be guided a little bit. I'm not sure how much it is worth to me but i'm leaving no stone unturned.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
explorer21 wrote:
Method Care to Ad here?

Sure, I think a lot of your points are spot on. I haven't heard anything that purpleshirt's heard about the career center, so I can't comment much on that. My job search was always going to be self-initiated, so I never looked into it.

I think entrepreneurship is a huge bucket. If you have a really solid idea, it might depend what your idea is centered on or how it's delivered. CMU is (obviously) a big time computer science and engineering school, and offers the James Schwartz fellowship which will place you with an existing startup or tech company. There's also a program that will fund you working on a startup over the summer at CMU, but its name escapes me at the moment. I did get a sense of, and bought into, Tepper's connections to the Bay Area. McCombs owns Austin, which has been and continues to be a massive launching pad for tech startups. Ross has Zell Lurie and a lot of funding challenges and incubation space through TechArb. Plus, it's one of the strongest universities in the world across the board, so if you are looking for partners in non-tech spaces, it might be a more attractive option. Ross also seems to have a ton of alumni on the west coast, but U of M has a ton of alumni everywhere -- lets be honest lol.

Social enterprise is also another huge bucket. For the things I want to do, which revolve around public service through governmental and nonprofit organizations, the interdepartmental institutes at Michigan are AMAZING. But if you define social enterprise as a for-profit business that makes its money by solving/improving a social problem, then you're sort of back in the general entrepreneurship bucket really. Ross has the Social Venture Fund, so you can get an inside look at how investors conduct due diligence and choose social investments. CMU doesn't have a huge social rep, but obviously I was willing to go there. Heinz College has a lot of DC-type connections, and is regarded as one of the top public policy and management schools in the country.

Again, it may depend a lot on what specific ideas you seem to come up with. Are they tangible, engineered products? Are they software based? Is it more service delivery? But this is all just to begin splitting hairs and finding a few relative advantages. Ultimately, you will be able to pursue your goals at any of those schools.

Originally posted by method on 15 Mar 2012, 10:28.
Last edited by method on 15 Mar 2012, 10:34, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
explorer21 wrote:
purpleshirt wrote:

GOOD LUCK!

interesting, poets and quants had their career services department get high marks. I thought that was a strength of the school. I guess it varies though.

I'm not 100% clear on my goals so I'd love to be guided a little bit. I'm not sure how much it is worth to me but i'm leaving no stone unturned.

If we're referring to the same article, yes you are correct- Tepper received high marks....but Ross received even better. 3 vs 7 times in the 20% https://poetsandquants.com/2012/02/04/wo ... centers/2/

One student or alum could tell you it's heaven on earth while someone else will say the complete opposite. Maybe the students I spoke with did not have a good experience. But as always, bschool is what YOU make of it :)

Preaching to the choir, I know....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
purpleshirt wrote:
If we're referring to the same article, yes you are correct- Tepper received high marks....but Ross received even better. 3 vs 7 times in the 20% https://poetsandquants.com/2012/02/04/wo ... centers/2/

One student or alum could tell you it's heaven on earth while someone else will say the complete opposite. Maybe the students I spoke with did not have a good experience. But as always, bschool is what YOU make of it :)

yep same article. UH-OH Sloan is ranked lower than both!!! You may want to reconsider :lol:!

Well Ross hasn't been on the list in the past 3 cycles (06, 08, 10). While Tepper joined the list in 2010. That decline startled me a little. What can we draw from this info? Probably not much. All top schools have probably have similar success with their career services departments.

The one thing i heard at Ross is that most recruiting occurs through clubs not the career office (which would explain the drop off in career services ranking). That could be the norm but Tepper seems to heavily rely on career services based on the chats I've had.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
explorer21 wrote:
purpleshirt wrote:

yep same article. UH-OH Sloan is ranked lower than both!!! You may want to reconsider :lol:!

Well Ross hasn't been on the list in the past 3 cycles (06, 08, 10). While Tepper joined the list in 2010. That decline startled me a little. What can we draw from this info? Probably not much. All top schools have probably have similar success with their career services departments.

The one thing i heard at Ross is that most recruiting occurs through clubs not the career office (which would explain the drop off in career services ranking). That could be the norm but Tepper seems to heavily rely on career services based on the chats I've had.

HAHA, Yep I was a bit disappointed by Sloan's stats on there. However, anecdotal feedback about their career office is pretty positive so I'm putting faith there :)

Interesting point about Ross and clubs. I do wonder what caused them to drop off the list in the last few years.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q41 V42
GPA: 3.6
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Thanks guys for your input! Its really helpful. As I see it:

Tepper - I love the smaller clases and the very flexible curriculum. Have my doubts about entrepreneurship resources.
Ross - Michigan U is a well-known think tank, for me that gives it high marks.
McCombs - More access to venture capital and business plan competitions, better weather! hahaha

I agree any of these are amazing opportunities. I'm really having a hard time figuring out which program/university will give me more resources towards launching my own social enterprise (for-profit business that makes its money by solving/improving a social problem). I already have some concrete ideas, leaning towards providing services not engineered products or software.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi,

I have submitted my application for R3. Has anybody got a interview call in R3?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Send PM
mlsaha wrote:
Hi,

Submitted at the R3 deadline and received my invite this morning; still trying to figure my travel plans and such. [also, does the CMU status in your profile need to be adjusted?]
Manager
Manager
Send PM
imalawyer wrote:
mlsaha wrote:
Hi,

Submitted at the R3 deadline and received my invite this morning; still trying to figure my travel plans and such. [also, does the CMU status in your profile need to be adjusted?]

haha i was thinking the same thing!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Send PM
explorer21 wrote:
imalawyer wrote:
mlsaha wrote:
Hi,

haha i was thinking the same thing!

hey, it's a rough job market -- it never hurts to double up lol!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
method wrote:

hey, it's a rough job market -- it never hurts to double up lol!

wow method, our productivity at work must be terrible to be posting this much!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  20   21   22   23   24   25   26  ...  31   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts