Last visit was: 28 May 2024, 20:15 It is currently 28 May 2024, 20:15
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
WE:Operations (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V41
Send PM
Re: 4th GMAT attempt and truely disappointing..... [#permalink]
If this was your 4th attempt then you might have already tried self study......... i will say look into some of the GMAT prep courses which will help you understanding basics. I am also in the same boat for Verbal section....Manhattan GMAT course is good for both the Quant and Verbal....worth taking a look at ....most of these Gmat prep courses will let you attend their first class for free.....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@wallstreetbarbie - I have access to 6 MGMAT tests now and I agree their diagnostic break down in good. Well I used scored 800.com, GMATlife, and some paper tests that I got through a friend of mine which are the official paper ones.

I also have access to the 8 MGMAT books so will be using those as well in combination with the strategies discussed before.

@01dynamic - I did do a months intensive course with Veritas and I have their books as well, I think i can still go to any of their classes for free as well as see a personal tutor if necessary.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GMAT Date: 03-30-2012
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
cedric7 wrote:
Hey All

So i have taken the GMAT as of today for the 4th time and came out truly disheartened when the score came up on screen got a 480 again. So at the moment I am stuck scratching my head wondering what I am doing wrong, as when I do practice tests I am scoring around the 650 mark.

Has anybody got any advice as to what I should do next in terms of study strategy?
should I consider a retake in the next month? as there are school deadlines approaching or take a longer view?

any tips would be helpful

Thanks!

Hi,
Many of them have given excellent advise but here's my two cents. I'm also in the same boat but have not taken the GMAT yet. Have been studying for a few mo's now and took the Kaplan GMAT course which has helped me with my fundamentals. My practice CAT's (3 of them) with kaplan have scored 560 but have taken a 2 week breather and want to work on the final stretch to see whether i can hit the 700 barrier. I've scheduled my GMAT last week of May and am going to go full force for the next 2 mo's.
My advice: Don't lose hope and practice will make you perfect. Good Luck!!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I guess I posted without finishing the whole thread.

Took a quick look at your MGMAT diagnostic. While I am no expert I will share with you what I know. Any area where you are scoring below 50% is considered a weakness. You should revisit those chapters of the MGMAT books (or whatever source you are using). Your goal should be to be able to answer all the 300-500 level questions with 100% accuracy.

SC looks pretty good and for the time being is a strength... Spend time getting through the CR and RC books. Skip the foundations of verbal book as that is mostly grammar focused from what I have seen. However, for quant make sure you go through it. I found it helpful. I would read the foundations chapter first, do their in action problems and then move on the same chapter on their strategy guide. The fundamentals allowed me to build upon what the strategy guide was teaching.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@wallstreetbarbie - thanks for having a look through, I have started like you say and the strategy by bgpower to go through RC and CR for a couple weeks intensively. Will then look at the quant foundations its seems like number properties and FDP seem to be my main weaknesses based on the report on the CAT.

Is there anything I can do like on the way to work and at work?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
cedric7 wrote:
Is there anything I can do like on the way to work and at work?

You may download the i-phone application by gmatclub
gmat-toolkit-iphone-ipod-ipad-application-82830.html
or you may prepare your own flashcards or download them from gmatclub or btg. :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I second the gmat club app... Unfortunately on the subway I am unable to pull out a book and read or solve problems so I play around with the gmat club flashcards as well as the decks i have already made.

Also, when I first started prepping I found that I made tons of silly arithmetic mistakes. I have not done mental math in ages so I guess its to be expected. So I went online and downloaded 3rd grade math sheets with multiplication, addition, subtraction, division. Each sheet had like 40 problems each and I would work on them if I got a seat on the subway lol... yes i got many weird stared but who cares! Did this for about 3 months and it has helped me tremendously.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ok will get that app as well as it probably be better that people watching and listening to music! I have the MGMAT app as well which has flashcards also good?

agreed on the silly mistakes on the math maybe i should do the same as you and do more arthimetic type questions. I noticed that when i did a bit of fraction/decimal type prep it was definitely apparent.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 629 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
At 450 and 4 GMAT attempts, you need to reinvent your strategies, both in verbal and quant.

I would suggest you to get a local tutor or if you can afford try to get in touch with Grockit Tutors ( 50$/hour). Do not take a tutor for learning concepts: rather tell them about your time constraints and study sources and ask them to schedule weekly goals for you. Communicate your progress with them on a weekly basis.

For Math Basics:
Try this book
https://www.amazon.com/GRE-GMAT-Math-Sys ... 1453633987

Then move to MGMAT/Veritas Books.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@AbhiJ - I had a tutor from Veritas but at the moment he is booked up, are there any Grockit tutors in London? how would I arrange a session with them?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hi

so been working on RC most of this week and all, and I seem to be getting stumped on inference questions a lot, is there any tips for this? I seem to read a few strategies that all same roughly the same thing, that statements must be true from information provided and to look out for extreme language.

is there another way?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hi all

so its been 3 weeks now and have worked through RC and now on to quant number properties and equations. Just had a question about topics that are completed would it be advisable to contine doing questions on those areas while doing the new topics? so in this case continue with RC questions?

thanks
Retired Moderator
Send PM
cedric7 wrote:
hi all

so its been 3 weeks now and have worked through RC and now on to quant number properties and equations. Just had a question about topics that are completed would it be advisable to contine doing questions on those areas while doing the new topics? so in this case continue with RC questions?

thanks

Highly recommended to do some prac of the previously learned topic(RC in ur case, must do atleast 3 RCs a day), otherwise you will unlearn whatever you have learned so far.
All the best.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
just thought I would come back on here, done all the RC questions in the GMAT verbal review 2nd is there any other sources I could use to get more practice questions? or should I purchase the question pack from the new GMAT software?

Also was wondering have worked through the number properties and still feel I need more practice on these where is a good place to get more questions?

thanks
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Hey Cedric, straight way dive into the RC and Quant sections of GMATCLUB forums, there is plethora of valuable resourses out there. BB has already sorted out the questions level wise and topic wise.
good luck buddy.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi again all

so its about 2 weeks or so before the 5th June Gmat change over, and I think I have come to the realisation that I dont think I will be prepared enough to take the exam before then...which kind of sucks as I thought I wouldnt need to study for this new section of integrated reasoning. Feel as though this is another set back, any thoughts??

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2