Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 12:00 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
Schools: IMD '15 (M)
GPA: 2.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: IMD 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Perhaps, an old analysis from 2008 but still an interesting one that shows that IMD has one of the highest yield rates amongst business schools. Top 3 following Harvard and Schulich.

Yield measures how many applicants who received an offer end up going to the program.

https://adam-markus.blogspot.co.uk/2008/ ... ed-by.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Applicants from Asia, Australia and Latin America, can you please share how well is IMD brand known in your country/region, how big and strong is the network?

Other regions are more than welcome to share their info as well.

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Am from Canada. IMD is not all that well known.

Btw, applied in Round 2.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
imdapplicant2012 wrote:
Am from Canada. IMD is not all that well known.

Btw, applied in Round 2.

Thanks imdapplicant2012 and good luck with R2 application!

Also good luck to those remaining groups to go through the interview in R1, both in Lausanne and Singapore.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: IMD '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
I've returned from the assessment day on April 3rd. There were 7 of us, all male. As for the nationalities - two from France, three from China, one from India and one from Ukraine. Engineering background was prevalent in our group (only one of us was with finance background), many of the fellows had significant int'l experience. Everything went quite good in my opinion, the day was an excellent and pleasant experience, Lisa told us that we should expect the reply not earlier than in two weeks due to the Easter holidays. Let me know if you have any particular questions - I'll be happy to answer them in case I can. :)

PS libraal, thank you for the kind words, and please be informed that IMD brand is not very well known within Ukraine (most of the high-level executives I know about here are associated with another school)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
For the well known stuff!!! I think it has a lot to do with the alumni network.

Internationally nothing can beat Insead brand in Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia... (only HSW)
But in the US due to a fewer alumni base (compare to the US schools) Insead is not well known (they have even opened a new office there to market their brand).

So this is certainly the worse drawback for IMD but on the other hand IMD has one of the best career services of the world so you don't really need that huge network to secure a good job post-MBA and frankly once you are on the right track and 4-5 years out of school your work experience will carry much more weight than the name of your school.

Thats my 2 cents guys ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: IMD (M) LBS (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Send PM
libraal wrote:
Applicants from Asia, Australia and Latin America, can you please share how well is IMD brand known in your country/region, how big and strong is the network?

Other regions are more than welcome to share their info as well.

Thank you!

Hi libraal,
I contacted quite a few IMD alums in Australia, to clarify the brand recognition specifically in that country . The feedback was consistently that the programme was less known than {HBS/INSEAD/LBS/...} but that none of them had experienced much of a problem when seeking a position in Australia.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Send PM
I had my interview on 30-March and the results were out today. There were four in our group and these are the results for them

Canadian - admitted
Italian working in Belgium = Not sure ( he already had an admit from Harvard)
Georgian working in Turkey = Waitlisted
Indian working in US ( i.e me) = Waitlisted.

I have an admit from Oxford for which I have to pay the first installment by April 26. So will wait till then if I hear anything from IMD.

All the best guys.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
KIRANR9P wrote:
I had my interview on 30-March and the results were out today. There were four in our group and these are the results for them

Canadian - admitted

I have an admit from Oxford for which I have to pay the first installment by April 26. So will wait till then if I hear anything from IMD.

All the best guys.

Since you have to make a decision very soon, I would let IMD know. There is nothing to lose.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
noinpac wrote:
Hi libraal,
I contacted quite a few IMD alums in Australia, to clarify the brand recognition specifically in that country . The feedback was consistently that the programme was less known than {HBS/INSEAD/LBS/...} but that none of them had experienced much of a problem when seeking a position in Australia.

Thanks noinpac!

Are you in Australia or looking to relocate there? What were the occupations and industries the alums you connected with in Australia?

I was analysing LBS employment report from 2011 yesterday to see how many students from different regions got jobs in other regions and here's what I got in terms of students receiving jobs that were not from the region:
31 students got jobs in Europe excl. UK
7 students got jobs in Asia
13 got jobs in US/Canada
4 got jobs in Lat. America
169 students got jobs in the UK

Middle East and Africa and Australia got a negative demographics in a sense that people from those regions preferred to stay elsewhere, resulting in a net negative flow.

With regards to IMD, I know 2 guys got jobs in Korea with Samsung and a couple got jobs in Singapore who were not from there.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
KIRANR9P wrote:

Canadian - admitted

All the best guys.

Kiran, hang in there man! I think you may still have a chance - a hard deadline for our group is when the first installment must be paid on 12-April. If someone with your profile decides not to go you may get off the wait list! I know there are a couple of us still weighing up and deciding, so there's a chance.

Now it would not hurt to engage with IMD and let them know that if they accept you you will reject all other offers. Schools are interested in maintaining their yield rates high, so they may decide to go for you in case you give them enough assurances.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
libraal wrote:
Thanks noinpac!

Are you in Australia or looking to relocate there? What were the occupations and industries the alums you connected with in Australia?

I'm looking to relocate there. The people who answered were mostly either in the energy industry or in consulting.

libraal wrote:
I was analysing LBS employment report from 2011 yesterday to see how many students from different regions got jobs in other regions and here's what I got in terms of students receiving jobs that were not from the region:
31 students got jobs in Europe excl. UK
7 students got jobs in Asia
13 got jobs in US/Canada
4 got jobs in Lat. America
169 students got jobs in the UK
(...)

That's exactly the kind of figure I've been looking for about IMD, because I want to see to what extent IMD's geographic relocation statistic is made of non-Swiss people working in Switzerland after IMD. I'd be interested in anybody's views about this.

BTW, libraal, you may want to post this analysis of yours on the LBS thread if you haven't already done so ;) it is most interesting.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Noinpac
I don't have any figures, but after talking with current students and alumnus I don't see much concern about finding a job in switzerland for non-swiss or even non-UE citizens.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
vd9 wrote:
I've returned from the assessment day on April 3rd. There were 7 of us, all male. As for the nationalities - two from France, three from China, one from India and one from Ukraine. Engineering background was prevalent in our group (only one of us was with finance background), many of the fellows had significant int'l experience. Everything went quite good in my opinion, the day was an excellent and pleasant experience, Lisa told us that we should expect the reply not earlier than in two weeks due to the Easter holidays. Let me know if you have any particular questions - I'll be happy to answer them in case I can. :)

PS libraal, thank you for the kind words, and please be informed that IMD brand is not very well known within Ukraine (most of the high-level executives I know about here are associated with another school)

Best of luck vd9, I hope you get the phone call! The fact you're from the Ukraine works in your favour!

I had an interesting phone call today with an IMD alum working in my company. Here's the summary (comparing IMD vs. LBS):
1. The internships at LBS may give a real smell of the place, but on the other hand the quality depends on who is your coach/buddy in the company and what tasks you're entrusted. With IMD, an alternative to internship is the consulting project. Because companies pay tens of thousands CHF for the project, these projects normally get support from the senior management and they expect results. So, the consulting project is an intense 2(?) weeks with a (high profile) deliverable. On the other hand, LBS gives you the opportunity to experience the day-to-day work in a company/sector + you get paid for it. I suppose an equivalent of the IMD consulting project would be to get on to the LBS consulting team, however, competition may be quite tough.
2. With regards to the alumni network, IMD's smaller class might be compensated by IMD's bigger executive education programs. Here, IMD has better standing than LBS, although I can't judge how much better. It does rank quite highly in most rankings though. If we trust wikipedia, IMD puts through 8000 executives in one year, LBS puts through 3000. Students may get access to executives when their on-campus, e.g. during lunches. However, this needs to be carefully managed through Career Services as sometimes some students who don't know what they are after may abuse this option, thus, creating potential hassle for the executives and also depriving other students of opportunity. The reasoning in favour of IMD is that it is executives who may make the recruitment decisions, so if IMD is better known with them than LBS, obviously you may have better chances. Having said that, LBS has circa 10,000 living alums, whereas IMD has circa 3000. However, where LBS alums may be equally spread between financial services, consulting and industry, IMD is heavy on industry. Web2.0 (Facebook and Youtube) statistics show an interesting picture in favour of IMD vs. LBS.
3. With regards to the class bonding, at the end of the year in IMD you do get to know all 90 people in the class very well. This is because you change the study groups 4 times a year, each month you change the places in the lecture theatres + you get to know each other in interest clubs. As to the interest clubs, I get the impression that they are not necessarily as big in IMD compared to LBS due to the number of students + in LBS you get better access to guest speakers and companies due to the location.
4. As to the personal development, leadership and self-awareness, it's achieved through 8 psychoanalytical assignments in 1 year (these are reviewed and commented by a psychological coach), 12 regular feedback, 20 hours of Jungian psychoanalytical coach + each group is assigned with a coach who looks after the group dynamics. I believe in LBS, you also get regular feedbacks and are assessed for the group activities. However, psychoanalytical assignments and 20 hours of coach could be unique to IMD. In LBS, you don't get to choose your first year study group, but you do get to choose all others. I suppose in LBS you can also get subjected to various group work activities through club participation and leadership.
5. In terms of jobs seniority on exit, the alum's impression was that it was easier to land a more senior position at exit at IMD if you are older and have a profile to substantiate higher expectations. His impression was also that recruiters' expectations at IMD or perception of the students is a bit different from INSEAD or LBS. I don't know if I fully agree with it. There may be some truth in it, but I've also been told that whatever the school those with outlying profiles will have to do a bit more work to find a job of their dream. It may be easier at IMD since they are used to dealing with more mature students, however, my LBS interviewer also mentioned that LBS's Career Services have such experience through placing Executive MBAs.
6. In terms of cost, IMD MBA is obviously more expensive than it used to be. My comparison render the cost of the 11 month program similar to 15 month program in LBS. Lausanne rental prices are comparable with London and food prices may even be more expensive. However, IMD's MBA program is actually subsidized with revenues from exec. education, so if they were to recoup all of their costs or run it at a profit it would have cost even more.

Well, I wish I could summarise the above with my conclusion and choice in favour of one school vs. the other, but I'm afraid I'm still thinking. But then each and everyone's personal situation is different, so you may not have the same constraints as I.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Send PM
libraal wrote:
KIRANR9P wrote:

Canadian - admitted

All the best guys.

Kiran, hang in there man! I think you may still have a chance - a hard deadline for our group is when the first installment must be paid on 12-April. If someone with your profile decides not to go you may get off the wait list! I know there are a couple of us still weighing up and deciding, so there's a chance.

Now it would not hurt to engage with IMD and let them know that if they accept you you will reject all other offers. Schools are interested in maintaining their yield rates high, so they may decide to go for you in case you give them enough assurances.

Thanks librarl. This is really reassuring. When I keep thinking about it, Oxford appeared to be better and better ( considering my decision to either go back to India or US where Oxford brand is very much stronger than IMD, and moreover 30K USD fee less). But after visiting IMD, I liked the place very much and the placement statistics and ranking of of IMD really attracked me. So really feeling ambivalent on the decision. So the waiting continues till Apr 23 and after that I will go with Oxford. I will be writing back to IMD on this too.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
noinpac wrote:
That's exactly the kind of figure I've been looking for about IMD, because I want to see to what extent IMD's geographic relocation statistic is made of non-Swiss people working in Switzerland after IMD. I'd be interested in anybody's views about this.

BTW, libraal, you may want to post this analysis of yours on the LBS thread if you haven't already done so ;) it is most interesting.

I think the number of people who stay in Switzerland post IMD is quite high. It may be as high as 30%. A couple of factors, you would earn in Swiss Francs, thus, making it easier to repay the loans + the Swiss economy so far is faring better than others.

Noinpac, would you mind sharing your profile and post-MBA goals?

I'll copy-paste my post into LBS thread.

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mazwaz wrote:
Noinpac
I don't have any figures, but after talking with current students and alumnus I don't see much concern about finding a job in switzerland for non-swiss or even non-UE citizens.

Hi mazwaz, my concern is the other way round: I'm wondering to what extent it is easy to relocate geographically after IMD to a country which is neither your home country/last country you worked in and neither Switzerland. In the first, one can expect you still have a decent network; and in the second, IMD has a tremendous reputation. But what about a European guy wanting to relocate to Australia after IMD?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  21   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts