Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 16:44 It is currently 05 May 2024, 16:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

What's the best fit?

26% [14]
64% [34]
9% [5]
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Social entrepreneurship / impact investing? [#permalink]
I also applied to these three schools and am also interested in Social entrepreneurship and emerging markets.
For all the reasons exposed by cheetarah, I think that Kellogg has the strongest program for social entrepreneurship. Wharton tries to push this topic with social impact being one of the three priorities of the dean but I think it still trails behind Kellogg. MIT has the less focus on the topic, but many entrepreneurial projects at MIT touch this topic.

You can take a look at this article about social entrepreneurship mba rankings, more than the ranking itself, it's interesting as it summarizes some of the courses/programs... focusing on Social entrepreneurship at the ranked schools:
https://poetsandquants.com/2010/08/13/so ... -programs/
So for your interests, I think Kellogg makes the more sense, especially with the scholarship.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Re: Social impact investing: Kellogg w/ $$, Sloan or Wharton? [#permalink]
@ mbalady: i'm interested in Southeast Asia

I think with Sloan, they do a lot of experiential lab classes to do work in China/India/emerging markets for consulting projects, which I think is really cool. And the name is top notch all over the world. But I didn't get a strong sense of belonging when I went to AdMIT day. Felt too techy/engineer-ish for me? Not that it's a bad thing but my inner gut tells me that I would connect better with Kellogg kids (TBD at DAK...)

With Wharton, the brand abroad is amazing as well, and they have the student run social venture fund which is affiliated with acumen and looks pretty great too. But my concern is the schools incredibly finance oriented and I'm looking to get a more diversified experience (have done banking and private equity for 6 years now)

That's not to say I won't go back into finance, but only interested in emerging market impact investing. K and W seem best there, I'd venture to say W with the edge but K not too far behind?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Im a recent Wharton admit so I may be biased. As a social entrepreneur and former PE guy, I want to transition to impact investing. Next year, Wharton will introduce a new course on impact investing and the content looks great. In terms of social entrepreneurship, it really is not much about courses but experiential learning on the ground cos its a buzzword. Similarly impact investing is sometimes an euphemism for growth sustainable investments, so finance and strategy are essentials. I guess since you have the finance expertise, you may want to focus on experiential learning. Sloan is reputed for that.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Send PM
nsurpr wrote:
@ mbalady: i'm interested in Southeast Asia

I think with Sloan, they do a lot of experiential lab classes to do work in China/India/emerging markets for consulting projects, which I think is really cool. And the name is top notch all over the world. But I didn't get a strong sense of belonging when I went to AdMIT day. Felt too techy/engineer-ish for me? Not that it's a bad thing but my inner gut tells me that I would connect better with Kellogg kids (TBD at DAK...)

With Wharton, the brand abroad is amazing as well, and they have the student run social venture fund which is affiliated with acumen and looks pretty great too. But my concern is the schools incredibly finance oriented and I'm looking to get a more diversified experience (have done banking and private equity for 6 years now)

That's not to say I won't go back into finance, but only interested in emerging market impact investing. K and W seem best there, I'd venture to say W with the edge but K not too far behind?

Good stuff. For careers that are off the beaten path, my general suggestion is to go to the school that will equip you the best in that area - both in learning and career prospects. I know Kellogg has resources in the SE/Impact Investing space... I actually just did some quick googling and found that opportunities abound at Wharton as well. Keynesmba also provides good information above.

That all being said, my suggestions are:

1. Go to both admit weekends if you are able to and assess how you fit at each school.
2. While at each school, inquire about the specific initiatives that interest you/ find out if there are other efforts that aren't on the website but are relevant to your goals.. and learn how much access students have to them.

From what I have gathered, Wharton's reputation as being super-quant/stiff/unfriendly does not hold true, so even though it is strong in Finance, you will probably find folks who are interested in the same thing you are. In the same vein - Kellogg is much more than 'a marketing school'. 60k is a lot of money - however, if Wharton is the better school for you and your goals, that experience will be worth much more than 60k.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Come to wharton! I will further develop my social venture there through the Venture Initiation program :D..but to be honest all these schools are great, go visit, ring people up and follow your heart! Let us know of your decision!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2013
Send PM
Kudos
Along with all the other stuff other people have already said about Kellogg:

Kellogg already offers an Impact Investing class (I just finished it), which is in its 3rd or 4th year so far. For the class project, we get into groups and create a financial instrument or asset or vehicle. Many of these projects end up being real projects (example: Grain Fund Depot)

Furthermore, we host the International Impact Investing challenge (I can't post links yet but you can google)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
OK guys so I know the K/W/MIT programs in social impact / impact investing are all strong in their own ways. I think if I am interested in a specific area of focus or company, I will be able to find ways to get where I want to be because they are all great schools.

So said differently...

Are the Wharton or MIT brand names worth more than $60k if I am not interested in PE/HF/IM/high tech? My impression is that K/W/MIT will open pretty much the same doors and it will be up to me to capitalize. And 5-10 yrs down the line I will be judged on my body of work rather than on the school I went to. So I should go with the option that provides me a stellar education with less debt.

Please correct my logic or enlighten me if I am not thinking reasonably?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Wharton
 Q49  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: Law
Send PM
nsurpr wrote:
OK guys so I know the K/W/MIT programs in social impact / impact investing are all strong in their own ways. I think if I am interested in a specific area of focus or company, I will be able to find ways to get where I want to be because they are all great schools.

So said differently...

Are the Wharton or MIT brand names worth more than $60k if I am not interested in PE/HF/IM/high tech? My impression is that K/W/MIT will open pretty much the same doors and it will be up to me to capitalize. And 5-10 yrs down the line I will be judged on my body of work rather than on the school I went to. So I should go with the option that provides me a stellar education with less debt.

Please correct my logic or enlighten me if I am not thinking reasonably?

I think your logic is spot on and I would not pass up the $60k from Kellogg. Congrats on having a decision between 3 great schools!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks all... visiting wharton for welcome weekend and kellogg for DAK next two weekends. will have a decision by end of may :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
nsurpr wrote:
thanks all... visiting wharton for welcome weekend and kellogg for DAK next two weekends. will have a decision by end of may :)

Isn't Wharton's deposit due on May 3? I think you may need to decide before that. And please DO NOT pay two deposits just to give yourself more time to decide.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
..oops I meant end of April...

Wharton Welcome Weekend is next weekend and DAK is April 21st weekend. Kellogg deposit is due May 1.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1137 [0]
Given Kudos: 420
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.58
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
Hey guys!

I'm bumping this thread. Where did you guys join? How did you find your schools for a career in impact investing? What's your advice for prospective applicants interested in impact investing?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts