Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 18:41 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2012 intake [#permalink]
Ronnie, regarding your question, it depends on your budget but I don't think the cost of groceries is so high that it warrants a need to go to germany by train lol. I mean some students I knew would occasionally car pool to go there sometimes, but yeah I don't think you're saving thaaat much if you stick to basic stuff. also the nights aren't that cold in winter that you can't go outside by winter lol, it's definitely cold but it's not the polar circle :).

Have any of you received the letter? I got my "definitv zugelassen" status yesterday, any ideas how long it might take till we receive the offical letters etc?

Regarding the Cass debate, having some work experience I realize that 1) MBF is by far the most cost effective (unless you have a free ride elsewhere) 2) unless you're going to Oxbridge (Said and Judge) and maybe Imperial if you're looking for trading jobs, I don't think any of these masters is worth the additional cost in terms of placement. The MBF (and HSG in general) places very well, and you'll definitely get interviews with the top banks and MBB if the rest of your profile is decent. Cass, and even LSE to some extent with their dozens of masters do not warrant you good placement on the street, and I don't think it's worth paying that much when you can get an equivalent (or even better) master for almost nothing. If you look at the 3 biggest employers for HSG alumni in the past couple of years it's UBS, Mc Kinsey and Credit Suisse in that order.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Economics
Schools:Delhi University
Send PM
f4tality wrote:
Ronnie, regarding your question, it depends on your budget but I don't think the cost of groceries is so high that it warrants a need to go to germany by train lol. I mean some students I knew would occasionally car pool to go there sometimes, but yeah I don't think you're saving thaaat much if you stick to basic stuff. also the nights aren't that cold in winter that you can't go outside by winter lol, it's definitely cold but it's not the polar circle :).

Have any of you received the letter? I got my "definitv zugelassen" status yesterday, any ideas how long it might take till we receive the offical letters etc?

Regarding the Cass debate, having some work experience I realize that 1) MBF is by far the most cost effective (unless you have a free ride elsewhere) 2) unless you're going to Oxbridge (Said and Judge) and maybe Imperial if you're looking for trading jobs, I don't think any of these masters is worth the additional cost in terms of placement. The MBF (and HSG in general) places very well, and you'll definitely get interviews with the top banks and MBB if the rest of your profile is decent. Cass, and even LSE to some extent with their dozens of masters do not warrant you good placement on the street, and I don't think it's worth paying that much when you can get an equivalent (or even better) master for almost nothing. If you look at the 3 biggest employers for HSG alumni in the past couple of years it's UBS, Mc Kinsey and Credit Suisse in that order.

Congratz on the admit.
"nights aren't that cold in winter that you can't go outside by winter lol, it's definitely cold but it's not the polar circle :)"...Lol !!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
f4tality wrote:

I'm waiting for the letter, too..I guess it's gonna take a while..

Anyway, after a few months I've been thinking about it, I must say I agree with what you've said..I was just scared by the language, but I'm sure I can learn a decent level of German in a year and a half, and it would be a third language, a big plus..

I've been talking with some professors at my university (Bocconi), and they all said that Cass is not known for its quality of teaching, which can't be compared to that of other universities..And they all agree on the fact that HSG has a very quantitative program that is useful if you want to get a Phd, but that might be useless otherwise..But they said HSG is a good university anyway..
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
f4tality wrote:

i agree about the reputation of mbf for recruitment, statistics are really clear about it, but i'm not so sure it's so cheaper than other programs in uk with almost the same reputation. the university suggests a budget of 27,197 Swiss franc yearly so 40,795 for the full program. in warwick, just as an example, tuition fees are 27,500 and the average estimated expenditure is 11500, so it would mean a total of 39000 pounds which are equal to 58000 franc. at the same time you should consider that you would work in the second year, since in uk masters are 12-month-long
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Regarding the cost of life, I can't really speak for Warwick but I have lived in London for some time, and I don't think the cost of life is higher in general...Don't get me wrong, Switzerland is expensive, but St. Gallen is actually rather cheap for a swiss city, so per example the cost of housing is probably as low a you would pay in the UK (and probably lower than London). I've visited a flat share once where everyone had their own room and the total cost was 300CHF per person, so if have a tight budget it's definitely possible to have a far smaller budget than they say. There is a decent amount of students from Zurich and Germany that come from priviledged backgrounds that go to school with porsches etc and that spend a lot of money in the student parties each week, but that doesn't mean you can't have a very affordable life in st. gallen. I would say if you don't travel out of st. gallen and you don't spend a lot in nights out etc, a budget like 1000-1200 CHF per month is easily doable. Internships also pay fairly well in CH (4000 - 5000 CHF per month) so that might also be a good way to finance part of the master.

For my personally the only disadvantage with this master is that it's 1 and half year, and knowing st. gallen it's a loooot of work. I have seen other universities (including top universities like bocconi etc) and while it's also hard, you usually get 6-12 credits and more for an exam, whereas in st-gallen it's 2-6 credits for a similar amount of work. So overall I'd say it's a lot more work than other euro masters, and that's the only reason why I'd go to a master like LSE, but then again I don't like the idea of having any debt and that's only possible with HSG in my case :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
 Q49  V35 GMAT 2: 720  Q49  V39
Send PM
Congratulations to all the new admits!!

@f4atality - About the letter of admission, if you haven't received a soft copy through email, you could write to the university and ask for it. If you need the original hard copy, it's going to take some time as it took about 2-3 weeks for me to receive it by post (I live in India so could be the reason for delay).

About the cost of the program, I read on the HSG student forum (on Facebook) that it might go up to 3,000-5,000 CHF a semester (for Non-EU students)!! But I'd say it's still worth the investment as long as they don't increase it to and exorbitant amount!!

Cheers!
Pradeep
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hey everyone!

What's up with housing there?
I just figured that I need up to 12 (!!!!!!!) weeks to get student visa in Switzerland.

And need to figure my housing situation in advance.. I've seen housing application in service portal -what's that about?

And yeah, I'm glad to have that awesome boy:girl ratio :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Economics
Schools:Delhi University
Send PM
f4tality wrote:
Regarding the cost of life, I can't really speak for Warwick but I have lived in London for some time, and I don't think the cost of life is higher in general...Don't get me wrong, Switzerland is expensive, but St. Gallen is actually rather cheap for a swiss city, so per example the cost of housing is probably as low a you would pay in the UK (and probably lower than London). I've visited a flat share once where everyone had their own room and the total cost was 300CHF per person, so if have a tight budget it's definitely possible to have a far smaller budget than they say. There is a decent amount of students from Zurich and Germany that come from priviledged backgrounds that go to school with porsches etc and that spend a lot of money in the student parties each week, but that doesn't mean you can't have a very affordable life in st. gallen. I would say if you don't travel out of st. gallen and you don't spend a lot in nights out etc, a budget like 1000-1200 CHF per month is easily doable. Internships also pay fairly well in CH (4000 - 5000 CHF per month) so that might also be a good way to finance part of the master.

For my personally the only disadvantage with this master is that it's 1 and half year, and knowing st. gallen it's a loooot of work. I have seen other universities (including top universities like bocconi etc) and while it's also hard, you usually get 6-12 credits and more for an exam, whereas in st-gallen it's 2-6 credits for a similar amount of work. So overall I'd say it's a lot more work than other euro masters, and that's the only reason why I'd go to a master like LSE, but then again I don't like the idea of having any debt and that's only possible with HSG in my case :)

Regarding the workload of masters degree at HSG, is it true that students are usually able to complete full 90 credits in 4 semesters??
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
yeah baby "zugelassen mit vorbehalt" :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I got my official letter now. I have to take 20 credits of suplementary courses + German. Do I have to complete all this the first year and at the same time complete my regular courses or can I focus on my suplementary courses the first year and then on my MBF courses? ~70 credits in one year seems like a task for superman.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
TomasRotmos wrote:
Do I have to complete all this the first year and at the same time complete my regular courses or can I focus on my suplementary courses the first year and then on my MBF courses?

Here is the quote from official Requirments for Admission:
"Supplementary work must be successfully completed within one academic year from the point in
time at which students take up their studies at Master’s Level."

I think, I'll have even more than you do, anyways:) They don't accept like 50% of my courses, even though my math & statistics were way more deep than it is required.

Btw, how much did it take for you to get an official letter?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
TomasRotmos wrote:
I got my official letter now. I have to take 20 credits of suplementary courses + German. Do I have to complete all this the first year and at the same time complete my regular courses or can I focus on my suplementary courses the first year and then on my MBF courses? ~70 credits in one year seems like a task for superman.

Posted from my mobile device

Do they force you to study German if you don't know it? That sucks..

I mean, I would have studied it anyway, but having a German exam to take at the University is different :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Stacey wrote:
TomasRotmos wrote:
Do I have to complete all this the first year and at the same time complete my regular courses or can I focus on my suplementary courses the first year and then on my MBF courses?

Here is the quote from official Requirments for Admission:
"Supplementary work must be successfully completed within one academic year from the point in
time at which students take up their studies at Master’s Level."

I think, I'll have even more than you do, anyways:) They don't accept like 50% of my courses, even though my math & statistics were way more deep than it is required.

Btw, how much did it take for you to get an official letter?

Yeah, I've seen that. What I was wondering is whether I need to take a certain amount of courses in my MBF-degree (besides the compulsory courses) the first year or if I can push them one semester ahead if I need to.

I havent gotten my physical admission letter yet but got an email today with all the information.

I actually look forward to the 10 days of german before the real semester starts (and the real german course). I guess I'll see you guys there.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Has anyone applied for a room?

I've just found out the deadline for housing accomodation is on the 15th of May!
But I won't know by that day whether I accept the offer or not..And I guess you'll have to pay a non refundable 250 chf fee to apply..

Does anyone know how difficult is to find a room in St Gallen?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MrEmmeBi wrote:

I've just found out the deadline for housing accomodation is on the 15th of May!
But I won't know by that day whether I accept the offer or not..And I guess you'll have to pay a non refundable 250 chf fee to apply..

I am pretty sure that is just for exchange-students, i.e. not applicable for us.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MrEmmeBi wrote:

Yeah, I've heard this is only for exchange students...

As for room in St Gallen, a friend of mine told me that in existing shared flats there is usually a competition to get a room (like 10 candidates apply for one room and flatmates decide who is the best for them)

That's why it is easier to rent an entire flat share it with friends, but my problem is I don't know anyone there :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
TomasRotmos wrote:

Yeah, I've seen that. What I was wondering is whether I need to take a certain amount of courses in my MBF-degree (besides the compulsory courses) the first year or if I can push them one semester ahead if I need to.

I havent gotten my physical admission letter yet but got an email today with all the information.

I actually look forward to the 10 days of german before the real semester starts (and the real german course). I guess I'll see you guys there.

Oh, then I'm sorry, I don't know much about their requirments either.

And the email? how long did it take? I need it for Visa and I have to apply asap.
I called to the office and they told me do not expect physical letter at all, in my case it will be only an email.

And yep, German sounds pretty exciting:)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts