Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 16:42 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [14]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT Date: 09-10-2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [4]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1013 [1]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Sustainability, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Re: The health-care economy is replete with unusual and even unique econom [#permalink]
Bookmarks
blueseas wrote:
Transcendentalist wrote:
C,a,b,a,c,c,d,c 6mins 15 secs. Oa?

how you did that man..in 6 min 15 secs.
all correct.

any special strategy...or you are very good reading...

please share.

I am pretty sure i replied to your comment yesterday unless the mods found something untoward with my recommendation. No special strategy, i just happen to be a voracious reader since a very young age. My match practice has been a little off lately with all that life's been throwing at me so before i started attacking the gmat, i did blitz through a bunch of books including murakami, rushdie, hedayat etc to name a few and subscribed to FT, Nat Geo, Economist articles online and continue to make sure i read them even if i dont necessarily like the subject. As i read earlier in an 800 score debrief, you have to live the GMAT. i am not joking when i say i am seeing idioms and modifiers whenever i read in a freaky beautiful mind kind of way. Keep practicing and brushing up on your reading and grammar is never going to hurt.

I also recommend you read this very good post by Karishma from veritas. https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/0 ... bal-score/

jaituteja wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone explain how doctor's are acting as consumers???
I could not understand this part in the passage where in the eyes of the hospitals, doctors are the consumers..

Doctors are the ones making purchasing decisions on behalf of the patients.

3. According to the author, when a doctor tells a patient to “return next Wednesday," the doctor is in effect
(A) taking advantage of the patient's concern for his health
(B) instructing the patient to buy more medical services
(C) warning the patient that a hospital stay might be necessary
(D) advising the patient to seek a second opinion
(E) admitting that the initial visit was ineffective

Why is A incorrect and B correct in this question???

It cannot be distinctively proved that the doctor is taking advantage. The doctor might be asking him to return next week just to be on the safe side.

4. The author is most probably leading up to
(A) a proposal to control medical costs
(B) a discussion of a new medical treatment
(C) an analysis of the causes of inflation in the United States
(D) a study of lawsuits against doctors for malpractice
(E) a comparison of hospitals and factories

The passage discusses more about the doctors and how doctors have control over things. Due to the doctors, patients have to incur high medical costs.
Why is D incorrect?? as the passage is emphasising more on the practices of Doctors than talking about medical costs.

Also, in the end the passage states that "We estimate that about 75-80 percent of health-care expenditures are determined by physicians, not patients. For this reason, economy measures directed at patients or the general public are relatively ineffective."

It is the doctors in the end who are responsible..

Please clarify.

Malpractice is a very strong accusation and oversubscribing medical services and goods cannot necessarily be construed as malpractice. Would you sue your doctor coz he asked you to take an ECG and MRI scan just to be on the safe side and knowing that its your insurance policy which is paying for it?

6. With which of the following statements would the author be likely to agree?
Ⅰ. Most patients are reluctant to object to the course of treatment prescribed by a doctor or to question the cost of the services.
Ⅱ. The more serious the illness of a patient, the less likely it is that the patient will object to the course of treatment prescribed or to question the cost of services.
Ⅲ. The payer, whether insurance carrier or the government, is less likely to acquiesce to demands for payment when the illness of the patient is regarded as serious.

Can anyone explain how option I is correct????

The reason a patient goes to a doctor/hospital is because they believe that qualified professionals will be able to better help one than self treatment and that they are in safe hands. Most patients wouldn't object to the views of someone they deemed knowledgeable enough to entrust their lives with in the first place.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: The health-care economy is replete with unusual and even unique econom [#permalink]
It might be a silly question :? , but how did you guys count line number 33 in question 8. I got to a different line number and made a wrong inference. :D

My attempt: read and comprehend = 4mins.
Attempt @ questions = 7mins.

Got 2 wrong. (1 cauz of line number; DAMN!). :x
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi Guyz,

I have completed this RC within 8 mins,with all the questions correct. Happy for this.

But RC is killing me big time for my exam. My D-day is 5th Sep.

Till now I am not able to achieve consistent accuracy in RC :( .
It goes 90%-100% for some passages and for some it is 30-40% only :(

Can any1 help.... only 10 days are left :(

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [0]
Send PM
prepgmat7 wrote:
Hi Guyz,

I have completed this RC within 8 mins,with all the questions correct. Happy for this.

Regards

Hi,

Just want to put in my word or two. What is your accuracy in mock tests? You will see that you accuracy will suffer in mocks. This is because of
- mental exhaustion
- time crunch and other related factors.
We have to master this bit. I have tried to simulate the environment by taking 3-4 700 level RC passages and set the timer. Now in order to create a time crunch (as we face in mocks) I tried to allocate the like 9-10mins to a long passage with 6-8 questions and 7-8mins to short one's with 4-5questions. This drill will show you where you stand in terms of accuracy, comprehension etc.

Like yesterday, I did 6 RCs (all 700 level) within 60 mins. My score was 26/34. I found out that more often than not I m doing mistakes in inference based questions. I have started to create a log for myself where I note down things I gather from my mistakes. I will keep these in mind when the next time I do this RC drill. I would suggest you to do this and I hope you will find out where you are going wrong. The problem with doing individual RC passages is that you are not simulating the test conditions in which you have to comprehend the passage. And that becomes the decisive factor.

I am gonna take GMAT in 1st week of September myself. :D I too wish to achieve 80-90% accuracy in RC consistently. For me its Work In Progress.

Kudos if it makes sense. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
vabhs192003 wrote:
prepgmat7 wrote:
Hi Guyz,

Regards

Hi,

Just want to put in my word or two. What is your accuracy in mock tests? You will see that you accuracy will suffer in mocks. This is because of
- mental exhaustion
We have to master this bit. I have tried to simulate the environment by taking 3-4 700 level RC passages and set the timer. Now in order to create a time crunch (as we face in mocks) I tried to allocate the like 9-10mins to a long passage with 6-8 questions and 7-8mins to short one's with 4-5questions. This drill will show you where you stand in terms of accuracy, comprehension etc.

Like yesterday, I did 6 RCs (all 700 level) within 60 mins. My score was 26/34. I found out that more often than not I m doing mistakes in inference based questions. I have started to create a log for myself where I note down things I gather from my mistakes. I will keep these in mind when the next time I do this RC drill. I would suggest you to do this and I hope you will find out where you are going wrong. The problem with doing individual RC passages is that you are not simulating the test conditions in which you have to comprehend the passage. And that becomes the decisive factor.

I am gonna take GMAT in 1st week of September myself. :D I too wish to achieve 80-90% accuracy in RC consistently. For me its Work In Progress.

Thanks man !!

Do you follow any specific approach for improving your inference questions ?
Means how do you change your way of reading and comprehending, once you have the error log.

Coz as far as I understand, answers completely depend on the way we comprehend.

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
prepgmat7 wrote:
vabhs192003 wrote:
prepgmat7 wrote:
Hi Guyz,

Regards

Hi,

- mental exhaustion

Thanks man !!

Do you follow any specific approach for improving your inference questions ?
Means how do you change your way of reading and comprehending, once you have the error log.

Coz as far as I understand, answers completely depend on the way we comprehend.

Regards

Hi,

It does depend on the way we comprehend the passages. I have noticed that, I generally get the correct answer once I re-do the inference questions which I got wrong.

So this may mean a couple of things:-
-either i am rash when selecting the answer choices.
-I am losing the perspective of inference which is needed to answer the question.
-i am not concentrating hard enough and not actively reading the text (Active reading: Being involved in the passage and Answer choices).

There is certainly nothing wrong with my thinking, since I get the answer correct in 2nd attempt. So I have planned to give that extra 10-20 seconds to these questions and be absolutely sure of the text references from the passage to which these questions relate to. Double check the remaining options and have valid reasons to eliminate the wrong one's. Also at the same time I need to keep the perspective of the textual references from passage fresh in my mind, while answering the question; many a times we lose the references and context while reading a long passage. Actual GMAT RCs are very dense(and not extremely long) and some times may have a lot comprehend. Possibly taking down few notes here and there might help too.

As I said, I am still working on it. But some where I am sure I will get the desired results.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 899
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
Send PM
Please clarify Question 2, 6 and 7 in depth?
And pls post the OE Sajjad1994
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32982 [1]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
junii wrote:
Please clarify Question 2, 6 and 7 in depth?
And pls post the OE Sajjad1994

Explanation

2. It can be inferred that doctors are able to determine hospital policies because

Difficulty level: 700

Explanation

Read the text in the passage:

Once an individual has chosen to see a physician-and even then there may be no real choice-it is the physician who usually makes all significant purchasing decisions: whether the patient should return “next Wednesday,” whether X-rays are needed, whether drugs should be prescribed, etc. It is a rare and sophisticated patient who will challenge such professional decisions or raise in advance questions about price, especially when the ailment is regarded as serious.

Also read these lines

Little wonder then that in the eyes of the hospital it is the physician who is the real “consumer.” As a consequence, the medical staff represents the “power center" in hospital policy and decision-making, not the administration.

Clearly point out the answer A

(A) it is doctors who generate income for the hospital
Correct! [read the text above]

(B) most of a patient's bills are paid by his health insurance
We know that the most patient's bills are paid their health insurance companies then what? Is this the answer to the question that doctors are able to determine hospital policies? No at all.

(C) hospital administrators lack the expertise to question medical decisions
We know nothing about the expertise of hospital administration, this option is trying to induct outside information.

(D) a doctor is ultimately responsible for a patient's health
It depends according to the situation a doctor could or could not be responsible of patient's health but why are talking this all? this make no sense what question is asking about.

(E) some patients might refuse to accept their physician's advice
Distortion, this is not related. This option is rather opposite if patients didn't comply on doctor's suggestion then why doctors are important for the hospitals?

Answer: A

6. With which of the following statements would the author be likely to agree?

Difficulty level: 700

Explanation

Read the lines from the passage:

It is a rare and sophisticated patient who will challenge such professional decisions or raise in advance questions about price [Support for I], especially when the ailment is regarded as serious [Support for II].

We have no support for III so I and II are correct.

Answer: C

7. The author's primary concern is to

Difficulty Level: 600

Explanation

To answer this global question one needs to read and understand the complete passage, there is no line or phrase from which we can deduct the answer.

(A) define a term
No term is defined in the passage at all

(B) clarify a misunderstanding
This is a bit close, i will not cross it immediately unless i find something better than this.

(C) refute a theory
Nothing is refuted in the passage

(D) discuss a problem
This seems real deal, lets keep it until we finished reading all the answer choices

(E) announce a new discovery
Out of context cross this one.

B and D were close a bit, B is wrong for word misunderstanding as there is nothing misunderstood in the passage, the problem is evident which the author is discussing. Author is just discussing how thw health-care economy works and that's all.

Answer: D

Let me know this make sense to you?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13966 posts