Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 01:27 It is currently 23 May 2024, 01:27
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 33112 [4]
Given Kudos: 4484
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT Date: 09-10-2012
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 33112 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT Date: 03-08-2013
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: How does ritual affect relationships between groups and [#permalink]
For me
1-c
2-e
3-a
4-a
help me with correct answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2822 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Nice passage .. Kudos
IMO E C A E
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 33112 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
D

The passage does not suggest that anthropologists and ecologists collaborate for best results (choice
A), even though the passage does suggest that anthropologists analyze ecological factors. Choice B is
incorrect because the author does not criticize the symbolic role of rituals; he or she instead extends
the discussion of rituals to include regulatory functions or mechanisms. The last sentence of the
first paragraph makes this point: “However, recent studies of the Tsembaga, a society of nomadic
agriculturalists in New Guinea, suggest that rituals do more than give symbolic expression to the
relationships between a cultural group and components of its environment …”
The author does not evaluate theories of culture as indicated by choice C. His or her sole example
is limited to the Tsembaga people. The author therefore does not prove that these studies show the
measurable effects of rituals on other environments (per choice E).

C

The effects of rituals on neighboring populations is not described in the second paragraph so choice
C would be the most unlikely candidate for inclusion in an anthropological study in support of the
author’s thesis. The influence of rituals on “the Tsembaga diet” (choice A), “the number of pigs owned”
(choice B), “planting and harvest cycles” (choice D), or “type and function of weapons made” (choice E),
all would be likely candidates for inclusion in such a report.

B

The first sentence of the second paragraph lists many ways that rituals act as regulating mechanisms.
It is obvious therefore that “ritual is multifaceted and performs diverse functions.” Choice A is not
incorrect per se, but rather it is incomplete. The author’s view that ritual does more than symbolize
relationships appears in the last sentence of the first paragraph: “However, recent studies of the
Tsembaga, a society of nomadic agriculturalists in New Guinea, suggest that rituals do more than give
symbolic expression to the relationships between a cultural group and components of its environment;
they influence those relationships in measurable ways.” Choice C is essentially opposite the author’s
view. The choice would have been better had it read: “Rituals imbue the events of the spiritual (symbolic)
world with material significance.” Choice D is also opposite in meaning. According to the last sentence
of the passage (it’s a long one), the author implies that anthropologists are in a better position to
understand a society’s culture than is the society itself. In choice E, we cannot confirm or negate this
answer choice based on information presented in the passage. It is not clear whether the spiritual
significance of ritual is deemed greater than the material benefits of ritual or whether the material
benefits of ritual are deemed greater than the spiritual benefits of ritual.

E

In choices A and B, the author is not pitting anthropologists and sociologists against one another, or
for that matter, the study of anthropology and sociology. Nor is the author suggesting that the two sides
work together as suggested by choice C. The author is also not concluding that anthropologists are
more interested in the regulatory function of rituals than the psychological or symbolic importance
of rituals (choice D), even though the former — regulatory functions of ritual — is the focus of this
passage. Note that the use of the comparative word “more” (choices A and D) often creates out of scope
answer choices.

;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Schools: CBS '18 (D)
Send PM
This is a great passage though I was scrolling between the passage and questions...that takes up a lot of time!

I chose ECBE, making my first answer incorrect (I was umm-ing and ahh-ing over D and E). On the second question, I chose C only because there was nothing in the passage to suggest worship, while E was somewhat ambiguous apart from the brief mention of warfare and territories - I spent a fair few minutes on this question because of said scrolling to eliminate wrong answers.

Anyway, I'll learn from my mistakes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
I hope i will not see this kind of passage in exam,
while reading, it was very smooth but the questions are horrifying;
:(
how realistic is this passage, are there any chances to get such a passage?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi All,

Can someone please share the explanations of the answers for this passage please ?

Thanks,
Somesh.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 852 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Reading Comprehension (RC) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6936 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14034 posts