Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 20:09 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 20:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Re: Great application... with a criminal history [#permalink]
What sort of discharge did you receive from the military? Did one of the DUIs result in an other-than-honorable? That will have an impact on your application in addition to the fact that you're a repeat DUI offender.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Honorable discharge. I was in the service when I got the first one and went to mast for it, but didn't affect my discharge.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
That second DUI is a big problem IMO, because its very recent and it seriously calls your judgement into question. As cheeterah suggested, perhaps you should wait for 1 year to put a bit of distance between the app and your second DUI. In that time you can get treatment for your problem. You could even weave your struggle with alcoholism into your essays and portray it as something you've overcome rather than a weakness. But that hinges on applying next year, not this year. Good luck man, your profile is otherwise quite stellar.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Well, here's how I'm thinking of handling the situation:

My second case is slowly making its way through the legal system. I'm going to have all my applications completed and sent in before final disposition of the case. Since the applications ask about felony and misdemeanor convictions, I won't have to report it on the application since no conviction will have occurred. I am going to talk to my attorney about dragging this case out until at least late October.

It may seem a bit shady, but totally in my rights and probably my best chance of leaving the second incident off my MBA applications.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
stevehk wrote:
Well, here's how I'm thinking of handling the situation:

My second case is slowly making its way through the legal system. I'm going to have all my applications completed and sent in before final disposition of the case. Since the applications ask about felony and misdemeanor convictions, I won't have to report it on the application since no conviction will have occurred. I am going to talk to my attorney about dragging this case out until at least late October.

It may seem a bit shady, but totally in my rights and probably my best chance of leaving the second incident off my MBA applications.

So you haven't actually been convicted yet?? Is there ANY chance your lawyer could plea bargain it down to something other than DUI??
Intern
Intern
Send PM
pze wrote:
So you haven't actually been convicted yet?? Is there ANY chance your lawyer could plea bargain it down to something other than DUI??

No, I guess luckily the wheels of justice spin very slowly in Ohio. If it goes to trial, it won't be till around late October. My attorney is working on a plea agreement, but the next hearing is scheduled for Sept. 5th.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
I think your "dragging out the case" idea is the way to go. That 2nd DUI could be a big "No No" for any admission team. Even one DUI will be looked negatively upon, and could be a hickup for a top school like Harvard. With MBA Alumni and Applicants ethics called into question in the last few years, these types of things are definitely considered. Since you won't be convicted, technically you do not yet have a 2nd DUI. I know it sounds shady, but your lawyer is going to work as hard as he can to get you off with no DUI, and what if he succeeds? It wouldn't make any sense to have reported something that doesn't even exist. You need to do what is best for you. Right now you are assuming you have a 2nd DUI, but you won't until you are convicted. It might make sense to apply to a very wide range of schools this year before that 2nd DUI hits your record.

I would look into each school's policy though, b/c I'm not sure if once a conviction is or isn't made if you will have to report if you are convicted.

I wish you the best with your struggles with alcohol. Where I grew up, DUI's were a big problem, and I've seen lots of people hurt their personal and professional lives with multiple DUI's, arrests, or even felonys. It's not worth it. Here in CA if you get a 3rd DUI you can lose your license FOR LIFE.

Good luck
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Even dragging the case out may not work though right? I mean, doesnt it all depend on when they do a background check? Say you're convicted in November, and accepted somewhere in December... Wouldnt that still show up in a check if they do those in say Jan?

I wouldnt consider yourself in the clear at all... Try as hard as possible for a plea... Good luck man.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
Even dragging the case out may not work though right? I mean, doesnt it all depend on when they do a background check? Say you're convicted in November, and accepted somewhere in December... Wouldnt that still show up in a check if they do those in say Jan?

I wouldnt consider yourself in the clear at all... Try as hard as possible for a plea... Good luck man.

Your point is valid. But I would think it's easier to already have an admissions offer when reporting it vice having it during the application phase.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GPA: 3.9
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Could you please disclose if you ended up being admitted in to MBA program? I'm in a very similar situation...

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot