Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [6]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Insurance)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 419 [4]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE:Asset Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Each of the factory towns which has pollution as a severe problem is [#permalink]
Kudos
Got it right: B

(A) which has pollution as a severe problem is >> 'which' refers to towns (plural), so 'has' is wrong.
(B) where the pollution problem has become severe is >> correctly refers to 'towns'
(C) where the pollution problem has become severe are >> "each" is singular so 'are' is wrong
(D) in an area in which the pollution problem has become severe are >> wrong 'are'
(E) in which the pollution problem has become severe are >> wrong 'are'
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Schools: NTU '16
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V27
Send PM
Re: Each of the factory towns which has pollution as a severe problem is [#permalink]
Can you please clarify how does "which" refer to plural? Or if the first option had " which have" then would it be the correct choice? Please reply. Thanks in advance
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
sri30kanth wrote:
Can you please clarify how does "which" refer to plural? Or if the first option had " which have" then would it be the correct choice? Please reply. Thanks in advance

Yes your analysis is correct.

If option A had had have instead of has then it would have been one strong contender to OA, but I would still prefer to use where rather than which because where suits to modify a place such as town.

Further, for your first question : Can you please clarify how does "which" refer to plural?
I would say this is one of the signature format of GMAT; some official questions were created to test this logic and further other prep companies also created their own versions. Refer following sentence.

Lake Michigan, one of the lakes that flow through United States, is the largest fresh water source.

... one of plural that verb(plural) ...
... one of plural, which verb(plural) ...

Refer this question and explanation as well :
twenty-two-feet-long-and-10-feet-in-diameter-the-am-1-is-12821-20.html#p1381818
Note it down in your error log.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Schools: NTU '16
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V27
Send PM
Thanks a lot Piyush for the explanation. But I am still unable to internalize this plural usage. I have always thought that "Each of " and "One of" should be singular.
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [3]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
sri30kanth wrote:
Thanks a lot Piyush for the explanation. But I am still unable to internalize this plural usage. I have always thought that "Each of " and "One of" should be singular.

I think you are mixing two concepts. Refer following sentences.

Each of these shirts is nice. -- here subject is each ... so we used singular verb.
Each of these shirts, which were hanging on display, is nice. -- here relative pronoun which is referring to the shirts. Therefore, subject of relative clause is plural shirts and we need a plural verb inside relative clause. Further you can see main verb is still singular.

one of ... is special in this aspect as there is no exception to construction as recommended in my previous comment.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619062 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
dc1509 wrote:
Each of the factory towns which has pollution as a severe problem is in need of a drastically reformed system of industrial waste disposal.

(A) which has pollution as a severe problem is
(B) where the pollution problem has become severe is
(C) where the pollution problem has become severe are
(D) in an area in which the pollution problem has become severe are
(E) in which the pollution problem has become severe are

The official answer is given as B. I've studied that relative pronoun "where" is mostly used to represent specific place but here "Each of factory towns" is not a specific place. Please let me know what all are exceptions to this rule?

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

B

Let's start by deciding whether the verb at the end of the underlined section should be “is”or “are.”What is the subject of the verb? “Each of the factory towns.” Since “each” is always singular, the correct verb form must be “is”; this narrows our choices down to (A) and (B).“Which has pollution as a severe problem” is awkward and “where the solution problem is severe” is not, so (B) is the correct answer.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts