Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [3]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30797 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Re: Article: What and How to negate (6 Exercise questions) [#permalink]
Quick question about the first example from the article:

Quote:
Every super-smart GMAT aspirant registers on GMATClub. Hence, every Harvard admit is a registered student at GMATClub.
Assumption: Harvard only admits super-smart GMAT aspirants.

I might be overthinking here, so please correct me if I am out of scope. Although every super-smart GMAT aspirant registers on GMATClub, you don't have to be a super-smart GMAT aspirant to register on GMATClub. Therefore, does the assumption here stand? Although every Harvard admin is a registered student at GMATClub, does it only have to be a super-smart GMAT aspirant member that makes it? Indeed the following assumption does not seem to shatter the conclusion above if we take the above into consideration:
Quote:
Harvard does not only admit super-smart GMAT aspirants.

Thanks.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
when you publish the part 2, pls, notify in this posting so that we can follow . Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 497 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Exercise Sentences:

Ex1: Most GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation perform better than they did in their first mock. (Multiple answers may be correct) Most: 51-100 performed well. Answer should cover 0-50 performed well

a) Most GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation do not perform better than they did in their first mock.51-100
b) All GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation perform better than they did in their first mock.100
c) No GMAT test taker who takes the exam after 1 month of preparation performs better than they did in their first mock.0
d) At least half of GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation perform better than they did in their first mock.50 -100
e) Up to half of GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation perform better than they did in their first mock. it covers 0-50 space
f) Up to half of GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation do not perform better than they did in their first mock.double negation
g) Half or more of GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation do not perform better than they did in their first mock.
50- 100 do not perform well

Ex2: Every internet dating profile in the world begs for some spontaneity (Multiple answers may be correct)
means 100 (all). Correct answer should cover 0-99
a) Not every internet dating profile in the world begs for some spontaneitysimilar to "not all"
b) No internet dating profile in the world begs for some spontaneity.0
c) Most internet dating profiles in the world begs for some spontaneity . 51-100
d) Some internet dating profiles in the world do not beg for some spontaneity1-100 do not beg. implies 0 beg

Ex3: Innovations such as iPhone happen nowhere outside Apple. (Multiple answers may be correct)

a) Innovations such as iPhone do happen outside Apple.
b) Innovations such as iPhone do not happen outside Apple.
c) No other company is as innovative as Apple is.
d) Innovations such as iPhone happen both inside Apple and in other companies.
answers choice are not comparable. i chose the answer because only that option (a) make sense

Ex4: No sane person who has never given a ride to a stranded passenger will give a ride to someone dressed in a hood (Multiple answers may be correct). 0. Answer should cover 1-100

a) Some sane people who have never given a ride to a stranded passenger will give a ride to someone dressed in a hood
b) At least one sane person who has never given a ride to a stranded passenger will give a ride to someone dressed in a hood
c) All sane people who have never given a ride to a stranded passenger will give a ride to someone dressed in a hood.100
d) No sane person who has ever given a ride to a stranded passenger will give a ride to someone dressed in a hood.
e) Some sane people who have given a ride to a stranded passenger will give a ride to someone dressed in a hood[/highlight]

Ex5:Every writer will tell you: first, find a good café. (Multiple answers may be correct)
Every=All= 100 will tell. Ans should cover 0-99 will tell
A. Every writer will not tell you: first, find a good café.0 will tell
B. Some writers will not tell you: first, find a good café
C. No writer will tell you: first, find a good café.
D. Most writers will not tell you: first, find a good café.

Ex-6: All the people who became sick did not get vaccinated.(Multiple answers may be correct)

A. Not everyone who became sick got vaccinated.
B. Some people who became sick did not get vaccinated
C. At least one person who became sick got vaccinated
D. All people who got vaccinated did not become sick
E. Most people who did not become sick got vaccinated
F. Most people who did not get vaccinated did not become sick.

I have highlighted my answers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
why "some" does not include zero ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Warrior,

If I understand your question. 'Some' necceasrily means that at least one person holds the point of view.

If you say 'some' apples are nice - then at least one has to be nice....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
plumber250 wrote:
Hi Warrior,

If I understand your question. 'Some' necceasrily means that at least one person holds the point of view.

If you say 'some' apples are nice - then at least one has to be nice....

Hi Plumber,

Thanks for replying,
What would be the result if you negate above example

"some apples are nice"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi,

I am confused about the first and second questions

Ex1: Most GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation perform better than they did in their first mock. (Multiple answers may be correct)

a) Most GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation do not perform better than they did in their first mock.
b) All GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation perform better than they did in their first mock.
c) No GMAT test taker who takes the exam after 1 month of preparation performs better than they did in their first mock.
d) At least half of GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation perform better than they did in their first mock.
e) Up to half of GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation perform better than they did in their first mock.
f) Up to half of GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation do not perform better than they did in their first mock.
g) Half or more of GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation do not perform better than they did in their first mock.

I understand that E and G are correct but my doubt is with choice A
choice A says that 51-100 takers did not perform better or 0-50 did perform better
Now question says that 51-100 performed better or 0-50 did not perform better so isn't choice A negating the question.

I know I am missing a piece of info here but just cannot get it sad

Ex2: Every internet dating profile in the world begs for some spontaneity (Multiple answers may be correct)
a) Not every internet dating profile in the world begs for some spontaneity
b) No internet dating profile in the world begs for some spontaneity
c) Most internet dating profiles in the world begs for some spontaneity
d) Some internet dating profiles in the world do not beg for some spontaneity

I get that a and d are correct answer choices but I was wondering why can't B be correct isn't that also falling under the sample space of 0-99.
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ankitD wrote:
Hi,

I am confused about the first and second questions

Ex1: Most GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation perform better than they did in their first mock. (Multiple answers may be correct)

a) Most GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation do not perform better than they did in their first mock.
b) All GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation perform better than they did in their first mock.
c) No GMAT test taker who takes the exam after 1 month of preparation performs better than they did in their first mock.
d) At least half of GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation perform better than they did in their first mock.
e) Up to half of GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation perform better than they did in their first mock.
f) Up to half of GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation do not perform better than they did in their first mock.

I understand that E and G are correct but my doubt is with choice A
choice A says that 51-100 takers did not perform better or 0-50 did perform better
Now question says that 51-100 performed better or 0-50 did not perform better so isn't choice A negating the question.

I know I am missing a piece of info here but just cannot get it sad

Hi Ankit,

Interesting doubts.

Look at the highlighted portion above.

Let's look at your analysis of choice A: It mean 51-100 did not perform OR 0-50 did perform

Are both the sets consistent? If I say, 50 performed - would that be in line with choice A? The answer is No. Because choice A says a majority did not perform. So, the lowest number who did not perform well is 51 and therefore, the highest number that performed well is 49 and not 50.

So, choice A actually means either 51-100 did not perform or 0-49 did perform. (Another way to look at it is that the sum of both the sets have to be 100 (total number of takers), so 51+49 = 100 and 100+0=100)

Now, if you look at the original sentence, it means 51-100 performed or 0-49 did not perform.
So, the negation of original sentence is 0-50 did not perform or 50-100 did perform.

Now, look at option A - isn't it different?

ankitD wrote:

I get that a and d are correct answer choices but I was wondering why can't B be correct isn't that also falling under the sample space of 0-99.

No means "zero". Why do you think that No means 0-99.

If I say, no one has every slapped President Obama. What does this mean?

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6043 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
What are the answers for the quiz after the article?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 880 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-06-2013
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
A very nice article on negation.

I have 2 queries:
1) I am still not able to figure out why option A in question# 1 is incorrect :(
2) Can we have some examples from OG on which we can apply this learning?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
egmat wrote:

Negation: Not everyone who became sick did not get vaccinated. This implies, 0-99 people who became sick did not get vaccinated.

Lets now map this space to the vaccinated space:

1. If "0" people who became sick did not get vaccinated, then 100 people who became sick got vaccinated or in other words, All people who became sick got vaccinated. (note: everyone either gets vaccinated or does not get vaccinated)

2. If 99 people who became sick did not get vaccinated, then 1 person who became sick got vaccinated.

Summarizing the above, Not everyone who became sick did not get vaccinated is equivalent to "1-100 people who became sick got vaccinated.".

At least one person who became sick got vaccinated. => 0-99 got vaccinated. Note, not everyone would be 0-99. Therefore, our negated space is 0-99 who became sick got vaccinated.

Hi e-GMAT representatives,

I was fine with till summarizing i.e, till Not everyone who became sick did not get vaccinated is equivalent to 1-100 people who became sick got vaccinated. But how did this change to 0-99 got vaccinated ?

I could deduce only two negation:
1.Not everyone(0-99) who became sick did not get vaccinated. (Subject change)
2.Some of the people(1-100) who became sick got vaccinated. (Verb change)

I am completely perplexed . Please help me clarify this.

Regards,
Nishok
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30797 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
nishoknm wrote:
egmat wrote:

Negation: Not everyone who became sick did not get vaccinated. This implies, 0-99 people who became sick did not get vaccinated.

Lets now map this space to the vaccinated space:

1. If "0" people who became sick did not get vaccinated, then 100 people who became sick got vaccinated or in other words, All people who became sick got vaccinated. (note: everyone either gets vaccinated or does not get vaccinated)

2. If 99 people who became sick did not get vaccinated, then 1 person who became sick got vaccinated.

Summarizing the above, Not everyone who became sick did not get vaccinated is equivalent to "1-100 people who became sick got vaccinated.".

At least one person who became sick got vaccinated. => 0-99 got vaccinated. Note, not everyone would be 0-99. Therefore, our negated space is 0-99 who became sick got vaccinated.

Hi e-GMAT representatives,

I was fine with till summarizing i.e, till Not everyone who became sick did not get vaccinated is equivalent to 1-100 people who became sick got vaccinated. But how did this change to 0-99 got vaccinated ?

I could deduce only two negation:
1.Not everyone(0-99) who became sick did not get vaccinated. (Subject change)
2.Some of the people(1-100) who became sick got vaccinated. (Verb change)

I am completely perplexed . Please help me clarify this.

Regards,
Nishok

Hi Nishok,

I agree that the last paragraph of the post does not go in line with the rest of the post. I think some inadvertent copy pasting has resulted in this. Both of your negations are correct.

I am actually going to delete the last paragraph to avoid any future confusions.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Hi EGmat team,

Can you please post responses for the above examples. My responses are :

1. e and g
2. a and d
3. a
4. c and d
5. a and c
6. a and b

Appreciate the quick response.
Thank you ...... you are really doing impressive job out there . :)
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
GmatDestroyer2013 wrote:
Hi EGmat team,

Can you please post responses for the above examples. My responses are :

1. e and g
2. a and d
3. a
4. c and d
5. a and c
6. a and b

Appreciate the quick response.
Thank you ...... you are really doing impressive job out there . :)

Hi,
The correct answers are:

1. e and g
2. a and d
3. a
4. a and b
5. b
6. c

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
egmat wrote:
vikram4689 wrote:

Ex-3: D overlaps with the space in sample set occupied by the argument and misses some cases as it considers companies only. Hence, it is NOT equivalent to negation but A considers all the cases except those in argument and is therefore the correct answer

Dear Vikram, You are correct about example 4. For Ex -3. Look at choices A and D again. For the purposes of our discussion, is there a difference between these choices. What does "Such innovations do happen outside Apple" mean.

Hi,

In EX-3, Option (A) talks about the ALL possible region outside Apple. In other words the word "Nowhere" in the original question is negated by using the word "ALL"

For option (D), it takes a different approach where the sentence moves outside of the sample space (i.e Outside Apple) and considers INSIDE Apple space which again negates the original sentence.

Folks please share your views if my understanding on the above is correct. Thanks.

Best Regards,
Atif Jawed
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Hi - Can you please validate if my analysis of this question is right?

Pre thinking -

Every = 100

Here the super set is " All profiles that beg for some spontaneity"
Negated Space = All (0 -100) - Every (100) = 0 - 99 profiles that beg spontaneity

Now , when 0 profile beg spontaneity, 100 do not beg spontaneity
and when 99 beg spontaneity, 1 do not beg.

The space 1 - 100 - who do not beg spontaneity can be defined by "Some"

POE :
a ) Correct - Not every (same as not all) is logical opposite of Every
b) In correct - No means zero. Doe not represent the right space
c) In correct - Most represent only 51 - 100.
d) Correct - Some is right because of reasoning stated in pre thinking

Many Thanks
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
crackball wrote:
Hi - Can you please validate if my analysis of this question is right?

Pre thinking -

Every = 100

Here the super set is " All profiles that beg for some spontaneity"
Negated Space = All (0 -100) - Every (100) = 0 - 99 profiles that beg spontaneity

Now , when 0 profile beg spontaneity, 100 do not beg spontaneity
and when 99 beg spontaneity, 1 do not beg.

The space 1 - 100 - who do not beg spontaneity can be defined by "Some"

POE :
a ) Correct - Not every (same as not all) is logical opposite of Every
b) In correct - No means zero. Doe not represent the right space
c) In correct - Most represent only 51 - 100.
d) Correct - Some is right because of reasoning stated in pre thinking

Many Thanks

Awesome job, Crackball. You are absolutely correct in your reasoning and answers. :)

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts