Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:09 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
WE:Consulting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
WE:Consulting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Re: Article: What and How to negate (6 Exercise questions) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Manpreet,

manpreetsinghkohli wrote:
Hi Chiranjeev,

Thanks for your detailed explanation.

Here is my answer for D (We can I guess ignore choice C too as it uses a "most" which won't correct while negating "All").

Correct till this point
By reverse relationship what I mean is:

All people who got sick>>>> Did not get vaccinated. (question argument)
All people who got vaccinated>>>> Did not become sick. (choice D)

The argument says that those who got sick did not get vaccinated. But from that by no means we can infer that all those who got vaccinated did not get sick. There might be certain people who got sick even after getting vaccinated. This would be going beyond the scope of the question if we make a statement such as D.

Statement 1: Every Indian is a non-American
Statement 2: Every American is a non-Indian

Can you infer Statement 2 from statement 1? If yes, then you can infer option D from the given statement.

However, our job is not to find an inference but to find a negation.

For the NOT VERB negation part.
Yes, I think I applied double negation here which won't be right. But if I had to apply the "NOT+VERB" form in the argument what would the negated statement be? "Not everyone who got sick did not get vaccinated"? If this is the answer this adds to further confusion (I think this is the answer as per your reply to Nishok on 2 Nov 2011).

So we have a negated statement which says "Not everyone who got sick did not get vaccinated". Now if I were to convert this to "Some people who got sick got vaccinated" (which is the correct answer in this question) wouldn't this be double negation too?
1. Change of verb from "did not get vaccinated" to "got vaccinated"
2. Change of logical opposite from "Not everyone" to "some people"
Further to that wouldn't this amount to negating an already negated statement?

PS - too much confusion I know. :/

Many Thanks,
Manpreet

Statement 1: He did not fail in the exam
Statement 2: He passed in the exam

Is statement 2 a double negation of statement 1? Also, don't they mean the same?

When we double negate a statement, we arrive at the original statement.

Now, use this understanding to evaluate what you wrote. (Confusion is good. You always learn from it :))

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
ex 1 : A,E,G
ex 2 : A,D
ex 3 : A,D
ex 4 : A,B
ex 5 : A,B
ex 6 : B,C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Hello e-GMAT,

Thanks for the article. I just wants to confirm that Assupmtion : "Harvard only admits super-smart GMAT aspirants. " is not valid here?
As it does not pass the negation test i.e. When i negate this assumption i.e.("Harvard does not only admits super-smart GMAT aspirants. ") it does not falsify the conclusion "Hence, every Harvard admit is a registered student at GMATClub."

Because there could be few non super smart students who registered on GmatClub and now are admitted into Harvard.

Please confirm.

Thanks
Manoj
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Expert Reply
manojISB wrote:
Hello e-GMAT,

Thanks for the article. I just wants to confirm that Assupmtion : "Harvard only admits super-smart GMAT aspirants. " is not valid here?
As it does not pass the negation test i.e. When i negate this assumption i.e.("Harvard does not only admits super-smart GMAT aspirants. ") it does not falsify the conclusion "Hence, every Harvard admit is a registered student at GMATClub."

Because there could be few non super smart students who registered on GmatClub and now are admitted into Harvard.

Please confirm.

Thanks
Manoj

Hi Manoj,

Thank you for your query. :)

Let’s have a look at the argument in question:

Every super-smart GMAT aspirant registers on GMATClub. Hence, every Harvard admit is a registered student at GMATClub.

Let’s break down the logical structure of the argument:

Conclusion: Every Harvard admit is a registered student at GMATClub.
Premise : Every super-smart GMAT aspirant registers on GMATClub.

After analyzing the above structure, you will be able to see that the missing link among the above three elements (super-smart GMAT aspirants, GMAT club members and Harvard admits) is between super-smart GMAT aspirants and Harvard. Unless that link is established, the author will not be able to make the cited conclusion. For example, think of an alternate scenario in which Harvard also admits people who are not super-smart? Let’s make this scenario in to a statement form:

• Harvard does not admit only those people who are super-smart GMAT aspirants.

In the above scenario, we open up the possibility that Harvard admits non-supersmart GMAT aspirants or people belonging to other categories as well. Whether it actually does that or not is a different case and we are not commenting on that. But in the above scenario, it is definitely possible that it does.

Given the above situation, do you think the author will be able to make a connection between every Harvard admit and GMAT Club aspirants? The answer is a big NO! After all one could argue that how does a general rule about super-smart GMAT aspirants apply to non-super smart GMAT aspirants or other categories? So in such a case, the conclusion of the argument will not hold on the basis of the cited premises. Now if you see, the scenario I created arises from negating the below-mentioned assumption of the argument:

Assumption: Harvard only admits super-smart GMAT aspirants.

This shows that the author necessarily has to assume a link between super-smart GMAT aspirant and Harvard admits. And since the conclusion is an absolute one – Every Harvard admit- the author is assuming that Harvard only lets in people who are super-smart GMAT aspirants.

Coming to the situation cited by you:

There could be few non- super smart students who registered on GmatClub and now are admitted into Harvard.

My question to you is : Is the situation cited by you similar to the one that arises when we negate the assumption? Let’s see:

Commonality: Both of us are saying that there could be a situation in which Harvard admits non-super smart GMAT aspirants.
Difference: The only difference is that you are saying that in this case the non-super smart aspirants are also registered GMAT club members. This means that we can still say that Every Harvard admit is a registered student at GMATClub.

But look at how you arrived at the above conclusion. You added an additional piece of information to the negated version of the assumption. Your statement is not based purely on the negation of the assumption. It has factored in something else as well! If you limit your statement to only the negated version of the assumption, the conclusion will not hold. :)

Does the above discussion help?

Regards,
Neeti.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Is there any one place where we can find the answers and detailed explanations to all the above questions? I am a current EGMAT student. Please help. Thank you.
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Expert Reply
nehabansal123 wrote:
Is there any one place where we can find the answers and detailed explanations to all the above questions? I am a current EGMAT student. Please help. Thank you.

Hi Neha,

The answers are on this link:

article-what-and-how-to-negate-6-exercise-questions-138510-20.html#p1314731

Detailed explanations are still not out. However, you'll find our replies on most of the confusions in the thread.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 407 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Hi eGMAT,

This is really amazing article. Can you help me negation technique for below example ?

Studies have shown that a large percentage of car accidents are caused by aggressive driving. To help reduce the number of accidents and to promote traffic safety in general, insurance companies have begun to issue discounts to drivers who take defensive driving courses. Research shows that people who practice defensive driving are considerably less likely to get into a car accident. Therefore, the insurance company’s plan should help reduce the number of accidents.
Assuming the statements above are true, which of the following can be inferred from them?
A. The majority of accidents are caused by drivers who possess insurance.
B. People who manage to consistently avoid car accidents are likely practicing defensive driving.
C. Young males and other demographics known for disproportionately being involved in car accidents are less likely to practice defensive driving than other demographics.
D. An individual who does not practice defensive driving is always more likely to get into a car accident than an individual who does practice defensive driving.
E. Discounts are the most effective way for insurance companies to promote defensive driving.

Answer is C.
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Expert Reply
umeshpatil wrote:
Hi eGMAT,

This is really amazing article. Can you help me negation technique for below example ?

Studies have shown that a large percentage of car accidents are caused by aggressive driving. To help reduce the number of accidents and to promote traffic safety in general, insurance companies have begun to issue discounts to drivers who take defensive driving courses. Research shows that people who practice defensive driving are considerably less likely to get into a car accident. Therefore, the insurance company’s plan should help reduce the number of accidents.
Assuming the statements above are true, which of the following can be inferred from them?
B. People who manage to consistently avoid car accidents are likely practicing defensive driving.
C. Young males and other demographics known for disproportionately being involved in car accidents are less likely to practice defensive driving than other demographics.
D. An individual who does not practice defensive driving is always more likely to get into a car accident than an individual who does practice defensive driving.
E. Discounts are the most effective way for insurance companies to promote defensive driving.

Answer is C.

Hi Umesh,

The article talks about applying negation test to assumption questions. However, as you are probably thinking, the same can be applied in Inference (Must be true) questions as well.

In this case, if you negate option C, it becomes:

Young males and other demographics known for disproportionately being involved in car accidents are more likely to practice defensive driving than other demographics.

Now, this would directly go against the information presented in the passage:

Research shows that people who practice defensive driving are considerably less likely to get into a car accident

Can you see how these two statements are contradicting? or Should I elaborate more here?

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
so we can we get official answers from e-gmat here???
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Economics
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi I wanted to know some answers reasons and have some techniques in getting the correct answers regarding negation. Please do let me know.

Ex1: Most GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation perform better than they did in their first mock. (Multiple answers may be correct)

a) Most GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation do not perform better than they did in their first mock.
b) All GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation perform better than they did in their first mock.
c) No GMAT test taker who takes the exam after 1 month of preparation performs better than they did in their first mock.
d) At least half of GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation perform better than they did in their first mock.
e) Up to half of GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation perform better than they did in their first mock.
f) Up to half of GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation do not perform better than they did in their first mock.
g) Half or more of GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation do not perform better than they did in their first mock.

I feel firstly seeing the question I will negative Most and I can ssee Upto Half is the correct options so I have E and F are the only options right ?

So let me follow the rules I will see Upto Half is the negation version of Most I will see where verb ruloe negation is not applied ?

So considering E option I find this is not verb negated and F is verb negated. So clearly E is the answer.

Lets see the next options now I will see where Most is there in the options . So it means I will Apply Verb Rule Negation and there is no change in the subject So I have G as the option and let me see whether verb is negated in this case yes it is undoubtedly ("do not perfeorm better"). So G is my second option.

Now lets go to the third option that Most is same so let me apply verb rule in First option that is so I find ("Do not perform better") so this is my third option.

Answers : A,E,G

My Logic is also same like yours see whether subject is changed then no verb change should be there and whereever ver change is there no subject change should happen. Please do let me know why in your answer sets i do not find option A as the correct answer.

Ex2: Every internet dating profile in the world begs for some spontaneity (Multiple answers may be correct)

a) Not every internet dating profile in the world begs for some spontaneity
b) No internet dating profile in the world begs for some spontaneity
c) Most internet dating profiles in the world begs for some spontaneity
d) Some internet dating profiles in the world do not beg for some spontaneity

Applying same logic as in Ex 1 first let me negate subject so I have A as the option and there is no verb change here so A is the correct answer .

Applying Verb Negation Rule Some is the super set of Every and there is a verb change in option D("Do Not beg spontaneity") option D is correct one.

Answers A and D

Ex3: Innovations such as iPhone happen nowhere outside Apple. (Multiple answers may be correct)

a) Innovations such as iPhone do happen outside Apple.
b) Innovations such as iPhone do not happen outside Apple.
c) No other company is as innovative as Apple is.
d) Innovations such as iPhone happen both inside Apple and in other companies.

Applying verb negation Rule it happens outside these so A and D are correct

Ans: A,D

Ex4: No sane person who has never given a ride to a stranded passenger will give a ride to someone dressed in a hood (Multiple answers may be correct)

a) Some sane people who have never given a ride to a stranded passenger will give a ride to someone dressed in a hood
b) Atleast one sane person who has never given a ride to a stranded passenger will give a ride to someone dressed in a hood
c) All sane people who have never given a ride to a stranded passenger will give a ride to someone dressed in a hood
d) No sane person who has ever given a ride to a stranded passenger will give a ride to someone dressed in a hood.
e) Some sane people who have given a ride to a stranded passenger will give a ride to someone dressed in a hood

Applyling Subject Negation I do find No negation is All and Some and its present in option C and A and there is also no verb change.

Applying verb change I find D has no subject change but there is verb change as well ("Never Given a Ride")

Answers: A,C,D

Please do let me know is this the correct approach as I am finding the
Quote:
negation
article quiet confusing

And I have attended some Free verbal Questions and Am really struggling to find the answer I find out of 20 question I have given only 15% correct. what could I do to improve it. Please do let me know.

Thanks in advance waiting for a reply.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Chiranjeev Sir

Could you please reply to my query

Thanks
Sunil
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi I wanted to know some answers reasons and have some techniques in getting the correct answers regarding negation. Please do let me know.

Ex1: Most GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation perform better than they did in their first mock. (Multiple answers may be correct)

a) Most GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation do not perform better than they did in their first mock.
b) All GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation perform better than they did in their first mock.
c) No GMAT test taker who takes the exam after 1 month of preparation performs better than they did in their first mock.
d) At least half of GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation perform better than they did in their first mock.
e) Up to half of GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation perform better than they did in their first mock.
f) Up to half of GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation do not perform better than they did in their first mock.
g) Half or more of GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation do not perform better than they did in their first mock.

I feel firstly seeing the question I will negative Most and I can ssee Upto Half is the correct options so I have E and F are the only options right ?

So let me follow the rules I will see Upto Half is the negation version of Most I will see where verb ruloe negation is not applied ?

So considering E option I find this is not verb negated and F is verb negated. So clearly E is the answer.

Lets see the next options now I will see where Most is there in the options . So it means I will Apply Verb Rule Negation and there is no change in the subject So I have G as the option and let me see whether verb is negated in this case yes it is undoubtedly ("do not perfeorm better"). So G is my second option.

Now lets go to the third option that Most is same so let me apply verb rule in First option that is so I find ("Do not perform better") so this is my third option.

My Logic is also same like yours see whether subject is changed then no verb change should be there and whereever ver change is there no subject change should happen. Please do let me know why in your answer sets i do not find option A as the correct answer.

Ex2: Every internet dating profile in the world begs for some spontaneity (Multiple answers may be correct)

Applying same logic as in Ex 1 first let me negate subject so I have A as the option and there is no verb change here so A is the correct answer .

Applying Verb Negation Rule Some is the super set of Every and there is a verb change in option D("Do Not beg spontaneity") option D is correct one.

Answers A and D

Ex3: Innovations such as iPhone happen nowhere outside Apple. (Multiple answers may be correct)

Ex4: No sane person who has never given a ride to a stranded passenger will give a ride to someone dressed in a hood (Multiple answers may be correct)

a) Some sane people who have never given a ride to a stranded passenger will give a ride to someone dressed in a hood
b) Atleast one sane person who has never given a ride to a stranded passenger will give a ride to someone dressed in a hood
c) All sane people who have never given a ride to a stranded passenger will give a ride to someone dressed in a hood
d) No sane person who has ever given a ride to a stranded passenger will give a ride to someone dressed in a hood.
e) Some sane people who have given a ride to a stranded passenger will give a ride to someone dressed in a hood

Applyling Subject Negation I do find No negation is All and Some and its present in option C and A and there is also no verb change.

Applying verb change I find D has no subject change but there is verb change as well ("Never Given a Ride")

Please do let me know is this the correct approach as I am finding the negation article quie confusing
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Sunil

Please see a detailed analysis of your solutions below. I've tried to answer most of your doubts.

sunil1989 wrote:

The sample space occupies 51-100 (most). So the negated space needs to occupy 0-50. Please keep this in mind as we look through the answer choices.

sunil1989 wrote:

Yes. E and F are the only options which talk about this.

sunil1989 wrote:

This is correct too.

sunil1989 wrote:

G is correct but not because of the reason you mentioned. If you see carefully, G uses half or more, which is not the same as most. Most doesn't include half. It only includes more than half.

But G says that half or more do not perform better, i.e. 50-100 don't perform better. This is same as saying 0-50 perform better, which is the negated sample space. So G is correct.

sunil1989 wrote:

Let's look at A. It says most don't perform better, i.e. 51-100 don't perform better. This is same as saying 0-49 perform better, which is different from the correct negated space (0-50) we saw earlier. Hence, A is incorrect.

sunil1989 wrote:

You need to look at the negated space you come up with carefully and match it against the required negated space.

sunil1989 wrote:

Every profile begs for.. -> 100
Negation -> 0-99

sunil1989 wrote:
Correct so far.

sunil1989 wrote:

Answers A and D

Some is not the super set of every.
D says some profile do not..., i.e. 1-100 do not. This is same as saying 0-99 do, which is the correct negation. So D is correct but not for the reason you mentioned.

sunil1989 wrote:

Negation -> Innovations such as iPhone happen outside Apple.

sunil1989 wrote:

A is correct but D isn't because it talks about both Apple and outside, whereas the correct negation talks about only what happens outside.

sunil1989 wrote:

Subject -> sane people who have never given a ride to a stranded passenger
Statement -> No such subject will give a ride to someone dressed in a hood. -> Covers 0
Negation -> Needs to cover 1-100, i.e. some such subjects will give a ride to someone dressed in a hood.

sunil1989 wrote:

Negation of none is some, not all. So only A is correct, not C.
Some is also the same as at least one. Both refer to 1-100. Therefore, B is also correct.

sunil1989 wrote:

Both D and E change the subject under consideration from "people who have never given a ride to a stranded passenger" to "people who have given a ride to a stranded passenger" and that's why they are incorrect.

sunil1989 wrote:
Please do let me know is this the correct approach as I am finding the negation article quie confusing

The best approach would be to first determine the universe we are talking about, then look at the space under consideration in the question and then look for its negation. When you match this negation with the answer choices, you'll find it easier to solve such questions.

I’d also advise you to go through the article once more and numerically look at each question which is being solved. Later when you attempt practice questions, you can come up with the correct negation after reading the question and before looking at the answer choices. At e-GMAT we always recommend that you go through this ‘pre-thinking’ stage and then only look at the answer choices and match them against your understanding reached in the pre-thinking stage.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Prashant
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Prashant I didnt get all of your reasons. My point is why mine Verbal Negation cant be applied. And the reasons which states the sample spaces is still not clear.

Can I be explained little more clearly as I am struggling to understand the concept.

Thank
Sunil
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Prashanth

To be more specific my queries are listed as below:

Q1. The reason which states A is not correct.

"Let's look at A. It says most don't perform better, i.e. 51-100 don't perform better. This is same as saying 0-49 perform better, which is different from the correct negated space (0-50) we saw earlier. Hence, A is incorrect."

If 51-100 dont perform better then how come 0-49 will perform better what about 0-50 why we are considering only upto 49. Please do clarify this.

Also if you could please clarify which is different from the correct negated space (0-50) we saw earlier. Hence, A is incorrect why this is considered and basically what doe sit mean

Q2.

Seems to be OK

Q3.

Seems to be ok

Q4.

Totally Unclear.

The most important point which I am finding difficult to understand is that when I change the subject all answers are OK but when I am looking for verb change I am finding the answers are going wrong.

Cant we simply go and apply either subject change or verb change in negation and get the answer. This sample space and numbering is becoming pretty difficult. Can anyone please help and help to understand bit clearer. Please do let me know.

Thanks
Sunil
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Hi,

I don't get the logic of g) in example 1. If it means that 50-100 do not perform better, it doesn't mean that 0-49 performs better. It can be that 0-49 performs similar or same. How is g then a negation?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
egmat wrote:
umeshpatil wrote:
Hi eGMAT,

Answer is C.

Hi Umesh,

The article talks about applying negation test to assumption questions. However, as you are probably thinking, the same can be applied in Inference (Must be true) questions as well.

In this case, if you negate option C, it becomes:

Young males and other demographics known for disproportionately being involved in car accidents are more likely to practice defensive driving than other demographics.

Now, this would directly go against the information presented in the passage:

Research shows that people who practice defensive driving are considerably less likely to get into a car accident

Can you see how these two statements are contradicting? or Should I elaborate more here?

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

very interestin. so in addition to finding the assumption type qustion , can we apply the negation technique to finding the inference type questions as well ? if yes , what would be the process ?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts