Last visit was: 22 May 2024, 18:49 It is currently 22 May 2024, 18:49
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 185 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2065 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Schools: IESE '15 (M$)
WE:Consulting (Accounting)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2065 [1]
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation- Mehul Sayani [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey there sunshine avenue!
Thanks for writing us.
I have to say, I think you are the FIRST Ugandan applicant I've run into on these forums! So welcome!
And it's great news for you too. Because schools LOVE to diversify their class profile, and especially when it comes to African businessmen and women, because they get so few candidates from the continent, and there is so much potential. Of course you won't get in based on the fact alone that "I am a Ugandan". That alone is not enough, you have to be a Ugandan with a DREAM, with GOALS, with good experience and test scores. And THEN you become a very interesting candidate.

From what you have written here, my first thought is that you should start planning NOW for an application NEXT year. I understand from your note that you want to apply this year, but you may want to think about applying next year. Why?
1. You are a bit on the low side as far as experience goes.
2. You don't yet know your GMAT
3. If you start your applications after the GMAT you may find that you don't have enough time to develop your application as much as you would like
3. If you apply next year, you could apply first round (and with more knowledge about the schools you are interested in)

Write us your thoughts on this, and maybe I have a few more tips and comments that I can share with you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM

Originally posted by sunshineavenue on 02 Nov 2012, 01:49.
Last edited by sunshineavenue on 05 Nov 2012, 04:47, edited 1 time in total.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2065 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
You know what? That sounds like the best reason I have heard in ages for starting this year. I think you should write this in every single application you have, so that they will understand that you have strong reasons and good logic for applying this year and not next.

And I wish you the best of luck,
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sunshineavenue wrote:
Hi Jon,
Thank you very much for your reply. I guess the reason why I am keen to apply this year is because I am guaranteed funding and political stability now, and probably not next year. It may sound strange and far fetched but for me, it is a very big factor. One year could be the difference between a stable country with a working banking system and a civil war with chaos everywhere. But from what I have read, I can see that i am definitely low on experience. I have started working on my applications though. I put the gmat off till I was sure that my verbal score would be decent. the moment I get my results, I shall hopefully be in the position to hit the submit button.

Hi sunshineavenue,
I understand you are curious and excited to ask the experts, but I would really appreciate if you create a new topic altogether so that the experts can address your profile individually. In case you don't know how to create a new topic, go to active dicussions and click on new topic.
Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Mehu,
thanks for writing us!
Let's jump straight into things. From your profile that you posted here, I actually don't really know all that much about you. You have an excellent GMAT, good grades, and worked 1.5 years in IT. Which makes you almost like every other Indian candidate, except you have less work experience. with this alone, you won't be that competitive at Harvard or Wharton or maybe even Oxford.

First, you need more work experience. At least one more year if not two. Second, the BIG question here is WHAT you are doing during your work experience. Are you coding? Are you making deals? Are you leading others? Are you getting promoted? There are a billion candidates who work in IT, so what is different and impressive about you? (we need to find it(. This also applies for personal items - What do you have in your history that will make you STAND OUT? Do you have any exceptional volunteer work? Any exceptional achievements? Did you found a start0up? Do you come from an important family? Do you have a family business? etc. etc. All of this things are important in evaluating what your chances might be, and of course in INCREASING those chances!

I hope this helps you out, sir!
And if you have anything else, don't hesitate

Hey, I am planning to apply next year. Meanwhile, can you suggest something to improve my profile so that my application stands out when compared to most applicants?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Oh I am so sorry I didnt realise thats how it worked, Il stop now and delete my entries
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2065 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
mehulsayani wrote:
Hey, I am planning to apply next year. Meanwhile, can you suggest something to improve my profile so that my application stands out when compared to most applicants?

Yes, in one word: leadership. And if you can get leadership in exactly what you propose, i.e. something that will help your country economically, etc. this will be even better. We are talking about real PEOPLE leadership. Now at work, this may be a bit out of your control (although you can always offer to take on responsibilities like interviewing, training, you can always innovate new projects, etc) but you can probably take the lead at volunteer-work places, etc. Other things that look great: taking more volunteer work, getting politically involved, getting a promotion/raise.

Your GMAT is fine, so no need to retake that... just concentrate on all the other stuff.
Moderator:
Admissionado
9229 posts