Last visit was: 19 May 2024, 05:44 It is currently 19 May 2024, 05:44
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
 Q46  V34
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: CEIBS '16
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
Re: Best US bschool to get a job in asia [#permalink]
You should look at the MBAs who are working in the offices in the location you desire. Asia is a big place and different brands carry different weights in different countries. For example, Kellogg, Sloan and Haas have a stronger brand than Booth, Fuqua, Johnson etc. in Thailand (from what I see). That is not to say that a Booth/Fuqua/Johnson MBA couldn't land you a McKinsey/BCG gig in Thailand (continuing the example), but brand equity does indeed vary.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
westsidah408 wrote:
You should look at the MBAs who are working in the offices in the location you desire. Asia is a big place and different brands carry different weights in different countries. For example, Kellogg, Sloan and Haas have a stronger brand than Booth, Fuqua, Johnson etc. in Thailand (from what I see). That is not to say that a Booth/Fuqua/Johnson MBA couldn't land you a McKinsey/BCG gig in Thailand (continuing the example), but brand equity does indeed vary.

For consulting maybe, but for asian finance jobs, only HSW are stronger than Booth.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
aerien wrote:
Besides what's mentioned above, you can also look at Yale, Cornell, UCLA, and MIT. In my experiences, those names open up lots of doors in Asia.

If you want to attend a US school in Asia, NYU and Duke both have campuses in China.

Yale som, cornell, and ucla, are weak mba programs though. MIT Sloan is obviously quite strong.

I've asked a version of this question to people before, regarding hong kong finance jobs. It seems that after HSW, it's booth/columbia, and after that LBS/INSEAD.
Manager
Manager
 Q46  V34
Send PM
thanks ppl,
that was insightful, i was wondering
would an exchange program with an asian b school increase my chances?
for example,i can see UNC kenan-flagler has an exchange prog. with thai univ.?
will that help me with my job search in thailand?
Manager
Manager
 Q46  V34
Send PM
hi westsidah,
i can see your location is thailand.
can you tell me what is the job situation(for foreigners) like in thailand?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
vinzycoolfire wrote:
thanks ppl,
that was insightful, i was wondering
would an exchange program with an asian b school increase my chances?
for example,i can see UNC kenan-flagler has an exchange prog. with thai univ.?
will that help me with my job search in thailand?

I would say it would help a lot! If you want to be in Thailand and you'll be at Thai University for a quarter/semester, that gives you enough time to network with students and faculty there. You can also reach out to their career services office and get to know the companies that recruit at Thai University -- you might even be able to use your time there to secure interviews at those places.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
vinzycoolfire wrote:
hi westsidah,
i can see your location is thailand.
can you tell me what is the job situation(for foreigners) like in thailand?

First off, I would agree completely with what aerien has already said. Being in that foreign country would allow you to network with students and companies there and would definitely help in landing you a job. However, you should note that Thai firms are different to firms in HK etc., in that, more often than not, in order to hire an international, you would have to have a certain level of experience. It also depends on the jobs/industries you're looking for.

For example, I currently work for a Big 4 accounting/consulting firm. I only see one or two expats who are below Assistant Manager level. And even then, the company is trying to reduce its expenses by not renewing the contracts of many expats at the firm. I've had colleagues move to Singapore/Australia/etc. (within the firm) because their contracts would not be renewed.

PM me if you want to discuss more about this, and the sort of companies/industries you're looking at. Maybe I can be of some help.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Shawshank wrote:
westsidah408 wrote:

For consulting maybe, but for asian finance jobs, only HSW are stronger than Booth.

Yeah, I meant for consulting. I don't know much about finance, but Booth's brand equity has steadily been rising, even in this part of the world, so it would not surprise me if only H/S/W are stronger than Booth.
GMAT Club Bot