Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 09:56 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 09:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.09
WE:Analyst (Health Care)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Prospects for European Placement for American MBAs [#permalink]
Thank you both for your views. I think I may turn this post into an aggregate of my research on the subject. If anyone else is interest or has information, please post to this thread also. I think this may be an overlooked aspect of the b-school equation, especially for career-switchers like myself. We take at face value the placement data offered by the respective schools to which we're applying, without giving much thought to how people like themselves fare after graduation.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [2]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hmmm, I wonder if these numbers are relevant at all. Because these numbers mention what actually happened. But to find out if you can do what you want you, you need to find out how many Americans WANTED to stay in Europe and could or couldn't. And I'm guessing you won't find any stats on that but only anecdotal evidence.

If it helps, I know quite a few Americans who work in Europe with no problem at all. Also, keep in mind two things 1. If you land a decent professional job you are basically guaranteed to get a visa 2. Americans have a privileged situation when it comes to asking for Visas from European countries,
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
JonAdmissionado has a great point about factoring in those who wants a job in Europe. Besides that, you can improve your chances of getting a visa by going to a HSMP school (https://www.skillclear.co.uk/hsmp-mba-provision.asp). All of the schools you listed qualify.

You also mentioned that you are a career switcher. European MBA makes career switching more difficult, since it is harder to work a meaning internship during your MBA.

You also need to watch out for the quality of the job placement, and the difficulty in job placement. Anecdotally, I hear that it is difficult for non-EU citizens to place in Europe, from recent alum at elite-level European b-school. You will be on your own if you are looking to work in South America as an American (easier if you have fluent language skills and willing to take a pay cut).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
asimov wrote:
JonAdmissionado has a great point about factoring in those who wants a job in Europe. Besides that, you can improve your chances of getting a visa by going to a HSMP school (https://www.skillclear.co.uk/hsmp-mba-provision.asp). All of the schools you listed qualify.

You also mentioned that you are a career switcher. European MBA makes career switching more difficult, since it is harder to work a meaning internship during your MBA.

You also need to watch out for the quality of the job placement, and the difficulty in job placement. Anecdotally, I hear that it is difficult for non-EU citizens to place in Europe, from recent alum at elite-level European b-school. You will be on your own if you are looking to work in South America as an American (easier if you have fluent language skills and willing to take a pay cut).

HSMP? Really?
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
asimov wrote:

I'd also point out that if you are planning on working in any country, and having a moderately successful career in the long term, you HAVE TO learn the language, and the quicker you do so, the better. Holland Germany and the Scandinavian countries seem to be rather forgiving on this point, but still, when you learn the language it WILL help a lot.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
wouldbecrazy wrote:
asimov wrote:

HSMP? Really?

Exactly. HSMP is long gone. So is its pseudo-replacement, Tier 1.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
To John's point about language fluency, I wonder if a big difference between these schools in international placement has much to do with each school's language requirement? Is the reason for lack of international mobility more a function of placement opportunities post-grad, or an MBA student limiting themselves by not knowing a second language?

Insead requires a student know a second language rather well, so does LBS. IE and IESE, however, have no such requirements. There seems to be a correlation, now as for causation....
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot