Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:39 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [46]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1833 [11]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.9
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5416 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: Unique among the Romance languages, Portuguese features days that are [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Ziko,

Your thinking is correct. Heritage can be used for languages. see https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/heritage

the meaning "A tradition; something that can be passed down from preceding generations."
can be used for a language.

Vercules
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1833 [0]
Send PM
Re: Unique among the Romance languages, Portuguese features days that are [#permalink]
Quote:
language having a mercantile heritage ?? doesn't make sense.

@ Ziko as I said before the expression mercantile heritage was odd enough to eliminate the option in the first go but good to know that heritage can also be used wrt a language

@ Vercules Thanks for the link
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2261 [1]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Re: the Romance languages [#permalink]
Kudos
Unique among the Romance languages, Portuguese features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of their strong mercantile heritage.

A. features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of their strong mercantile heritage - Portuguese as a Language is Singular, thus ITS must be used.
B. features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of its strong mercantile heritage - Free of any error. Correct placement of STRONG etc
C. has numbered rather than named its days, evidence of its strong mercantile heritage- This option means that the Language (Portuguese) did the numbering on its own, and thus distorts the original meaning
D. numbered rather than named its days, out of its strong mercantile heritage- This option means that the Language (Portuguese) did the numbering on its own, and thus distorts the original meaning
E. features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of the strong Portuguese mercantile heritage - Adjective STRONG is used at a wrong place (before Portuguese). The use would mean that language is strong rather than heritage.

So, IMO, the answer has to be B.

Fame
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
You have to repeat Portuguese because it does not make sense to refer to it with "its". In the beginning of the sentence, "Portuguese" refers to the language whereas the "its" in the second part refers to "Portugal" (the mercantile heritage of the language Portuguese does not make sense) therefore you can't use this pronoun. Answer E corrects this issue by adding the adjective "Portuguese"

Quote:
E. features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of the strong Portuguese mercantile heritage - Adjective STRONG is used at a wrong place (before Portuguese). The use would mean that language is strong rather than heritage.

I don't think that is a problem, "strong" modifies the whole clause "Portuguese mercantile heritage"
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1833 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Here is the discussion on the same problem
portuguese-heritage-145927.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
Unique among the Romance languages, Portuguese features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of their strong mercantile heritage.

b. features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of its strong mercantile heritage

e. features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of the strong Portuguese mercantile heritage

I was confused between b. and e. as well.

It makes more sense for it to read:
Unique among the Romance languages, Portuguese features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of Portuguese's strong mercantile heritage
(provided here Portuguese's is the heritage not the language). But since it is the language in this context it makes no sense.

Unique among the Romance languages, Portuguese features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of Portugual's strong mercantile heritage

eg: Just like You can't say Chinese (as a language) strong mercantile heritage. You can say China's strong mercantile heritage.

Therefore, E was the better option for me.

Hope that helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 774 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
I choose B over E. I dont quite get the heritage hangup. Its quite difficult to be certain mercantile heritage cant be applied to a language. I do however, see in retrospect a parallelism problem with B ' features days that are not named but (are) numbered'. Does this make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [3]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
vibhav wrote:
I choose B over E. I dont quite get the heritage hangup. Its quite difficult to be certain mercantile heritage cant be applied to a language. I do however, see in retrospect a parallelism problem with B ' features days that are not named but (are) numbered'. Does this make sense?

Portuguese is not a noun it is an proper adjective. Proper adjectives are formed from proper nouns such as Japan. The point is adjective can't be the antecedent of any pronoun. Everything gets killed only E remains.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 946 [0]
Given Kudos: 206
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi Experts,

In this question
Only B and E stands out but to be honest I don't know why its doesn't have clear antecedent. I feel "its" clearly refers to portuguese.

Of course, option E is more clear but then what should be the basis for eliminating B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
Send PM
a. their...Portuguese is shown as language. so their is incorrect.
b. its seems awkward. The first Purtugese is represented as language. what is language's heritage.
c. its days...awkward
d. its days...
e. The second Portuguese is Portuguese heritage and the first one is language...seems correct.

mihir0710 wrote:

features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of their strong mercantile heritage
features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of its strong mercantile heritage
has numbered rather than named its days, evidence of its strong mercantile heritage
numbered rather than named its days, out of its strong mercantile heritage
features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of the strong Portuguese mercantile heritage
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Experts ,

In my opinion,
phrase "days that are not named but numbered" talks about specific kind of days only which are numbered.
But logically this doesn't make sence.

Whereas option C has structured same in better and logical manner, keeping aside modifier "evidence of .......".

Someone pls suggest , how all other options excepts C make better sense with "that" modifier.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
egmat

Your take, please.

I choose B, because in E, "strong Portuguese mercantile heritage", means strong language mercantile heritage.
In B, "evidence of its strong mercantile heritage", means language's strong mercantile heritage.

I really don't think that there is any pronoun error, as a possessive pronoun can perfectly refer to Portuguese.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
sid0791 wrote:
egmat

Your take, please.

I choose B, because in E, "strong Portuguese mercantile heritage", means strong language mercantile heritage.
In B, "evidence of its strong mercantile heritage", means language's strong mercantile heritage.

I really don't think that there is any pronoun error, as a possessive pronoun can perfectly refer to Portuguese.

E is actually trying to mention the heritage of "portugal" or "portuguese people" rather than the heritage of the language whereas B says that the language has a strong mercantile heritage. I think it makes sense for people or a country to have a heritage related to trade, commerce,etc as opposed to a language. You might argue that the language was/is used mostly for trade but then might distort the overall meaning.

I am no expert, but I hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Brian123

I agree with you somehow, but doubt remains the same,
first thing, we have to retain the meaning of the original sentence.
The second thing, Portuguese refer to language, so how- "evidence of the strong Portuguese mercantile heritage" refers to Portuguese people?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [1]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos
sid0791 wrote:
Brian123

The second thing, Portuguese refer to language, so how- "evidence of the strong Portuguese mercantile heritage" refers to Portuguese people?

I agree we are talking about the language, I may not have made that point well but to me "strong portuguese mercantile heritage" refers to the heritage of portugal in general. It seems a good reason for the language of a country to be a certain way due to the country's heritage. On the other hand, in option B, a language having a trade related heritage sounds a little odd. Though, I totally understand your point as well and hopefully an expert can give more clarity.

Cheers!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [1]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Kudos
sid0791 wrote:
Brian123

When a sentence mentions 'Portugese heritage', it does not mean 'heritage of the Portugese language'.

It means the heritage of the Portuguese people or the heritage of Portugal as a country.

If an author wants to discuss the heritage of the Portugese language, it will be better (clearer) to say just that: "heritage of the Portuguse language" or even "Portugese language heritage"

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
vv65

Ok ok, I get that point as you said "When a sentence mentions 'Portuguese heritage', it does not mean 'heritage of the Portuguese language'.

It means the heritage of the Portuguese people or the heritage of Portugal as a country."

But regarding your second point- "If an author wants to discuss the heritage of the Portugese language, it will be better (clearer) to say just that: "heritage of the Portuguse language" or even "Portugese language heritage"

Doesn't B option say exactly the same what you have in your second point
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts