Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [3]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [1]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Re: TO VERB VS FOR VERB-ING [#permalink]
+1 kudo for e-GMAT
Quote:
Scientists claim that the discovery of the first authenticated mammal bones in amber could provide important clues of determining, in addition to how, when mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies.

A: of determining, in addition to how, when mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies
B: in the determination of how and when the islands of the West Indies were colonized by mammals
C: to determine how mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies and when they did
D: for determining when the islands of the West Indies were colonized by mammals and how they were
E: for determining how and when mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies

It should be E..
Between to +verb vs for +verb+ing, I eliminate A, B, C.
Between D & E, I would select simple and smart correct answer E. D is so verbose and awkward.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
A very nice discussion folks,
I have collected all the questions and answers together. Find the post below.
ten-practice-questions-on-to-verb-vs-for-verb-ing-146392.html

consider +kudo if you like this post :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Sloan '15
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
WE:Architecture (Telecommunications)
Send PM
The answer should be E because the discovery could provide clues 'for' determining i.e. 'what for' aspect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Send PM
rajhere wrote:
The answer should be E because the discovery could provide clues 'for' determining i.e. 'what for' aspect.

@rajhere, You are the one who understood e-gmat session thoroughly. This article talks the same :lol:

Why D is not correct answer according to you then?

About the answers, D & E both explains 'what for' aspect, but D tries to elongate the sentence.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi everyone,

Thanks for posting your analysis of this question. Here is the detailed solution for this one.

Scientists claim that the discovery of the first authenticated mammal bones in amber could provide important clues of determining, in addition to how, when mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies.

Meaning Analysis:

The sentence talks about a scientific discovery. Scientists found the first authenticated mammals bones in amber that could provide clues that would help in determining:
A. How mammals colonized the islands of West Indies, and
B. when they did so

Error Analysis:

1. "clues of determining" is an incorrect expression. Per the context of the sentence, the correct expression should be "clues for determining".

2. "in addition to how, when mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies" is very awkward. It fails to communicate the intended meaning in a prices and clear manner.

PoE:

A: of determining, in addition to how, when mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

B: in the determination of how and when the islands of the West Indies were colonized by mammals: Incorrect.
1. "In the determination" is not what we need here.
2. The passive voice construction makes the choice wordy.

C: to determine how mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies and when they did: Incorrect.
1. "To determine" is incorrect because it was not the intention of the clues to determine how and when mammals colonized West Indies.
2. This choice is not written in the most concise manner.

D: for determining when the islands of the West Indies were colonized by mammals and how they were: Incorrect.
1. The passive voice construction makes the choice wordy.
2. Use if "were" is incorrect. It should be "did". However, even after that, the construction would not have been precise.

E: for determining how and when mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies: Correct.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
I have a doubt regarding To v/ For when both meant for ' for the purpose'.
Below is gmat prep question:

Responding to the public’s fascination with-and sometimes undue alarm over-possible threats
from asteroids, a scale developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may collide with Earth.

A. a scale developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may
B. a scale that astronomers have developed rates how likely it is for a particular asteroid or comet to
modifying astonomers so a, B out
C. astronomers have developed a scale to rate how likely a particular asteroid or comet will be to
D. astronomers have developed a scale for rating the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet will
E. astronomers have developed a scale that rates the likelihood of a particular asteroid or comet that may
its not the likely hood of comet but the likely hood of hitting also likely + may in same sentence

Now comparing C and D
C. astronomers have developed a scale to rate how likely a particular asteroid or comet will be to
D. astronomers have developed a scale for rating the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet will

I am not sure of OA, though some forums claim it to be C.

in C "likely X will be to" is it correct.
In D is 'for rating ' - wrong ;
In D is 'likelihood that ' is correct..

help me understanding the construction..
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Rec'd a PM regarding this topic. Its another question that uses the "to verb" vs "for verb-ing" concept. Posting my analysis on forum for benefit of all. :)

Quote:
The Skill and precision of the ancient people of the American SouthWest, in measuring the movements of the Sun and the moon is evidenced not only at Chaco canyon , but also at number of other sites.

A. -----
B. in measuring the movements of sun and moon are evidenced not only at
C. in measuring the movements of sun and moon is evidenced at not only
D. to measure the movements of sun and moon is evidenced at not only
E. to measure the movements of sun and moon are evidenced not only at

The correct answer for this is B, while I chose E. Please help me to understand the difference between "in measuring" and "to measure".

The sentence talks about the "Skill and precision" of a group of people. Let's pick a skill, say skill in teaching a complex concept.
Now when we mention this specific skill, we are literally describing the skill. What kind of skill, skill in teaching a complex concept.
Now if I said "skill to teach a complex concept", I would be wrong since this expression will imply that the intent of "skill" i.e. "some general term skill" is to teach a complex concept.

This is exactly what is happening in the sentence above. Now consider the following two sentences:

1: James' skills in teaching complex concepts are exemplary.
2: James' skills to teaching complex concepts are exemplary. (INCORRECT - Implies that the intent of skills of James is to teach complex concepts)
3: James has developed his skills in teaching complex concepts to make sure he can be employed by leading education companies.

Notice how in sentence 1 is correct but sentence 2 is incorrect. Also notice how sentence 3 uses both "to verb" and "in verb-ing" correctly. The former is used to express intent of developing the specific skills in discussion. The latter is used to describe the skills in discussion.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Payal
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
sujit2k7 wrote:
I have a doubt regarding To v/ For when both meant for ' for the purpose'.
Below is gmat prep question:

Responding to the public’s fascination with-and sometimes undue alarm over-possible threats
from asteroids, a scale developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may collide with Earth.

A. a scale developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may
B. a scale that astronomers have developed rates how likely it is for a particular asteroid or comet to
modifying astonomers so a, B out
E. astronomers have developed a scale that rates the likelihood of a particular asteroid or comet that may
its not the likely hood of comet but the likely hood of hitting also likely + may in same sentence

Now comparing C and D

I am not sure of OA, though some forums claim it to be C.

in C "likely X will be to" is it correct.
In D is 'for rating ' - wrong ;
In D is 'likelihood that ' is correct..

help me understanding the construction..

Hi Sujit,

Are you sure that this is an official question. I ask this since I am toggling between C and D (and that does not happen with official questions!!!). I do not think that "for rating" is essentially incorrect here. This is because we can very well say that Astronomers have come up with a certain scale and by the way this is what the scale does. So we can provide the description of the scale using "for verb-ing". At the same time, I would prefer going with "to rate" in choice C here since the context of the sentence renders a sense of purpose, which is best represented through to verb.

Along slightly different lines, choice D is more precise in presenting the likelihood.

So I actually doubt if this question is truly an official question. Where did you find this question - in gmat prep software?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Payal
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
egmat wrote:
So I actually doubt if this question is truly an official question. Where did you find this question - in gmat prep software?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Payal

Actually i picked this from a pdf file that contains collection of Gmat Prep problems. Might be this is not a official problem :pc

Thanks for the reply.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Kudos
egmat wrote:
Hi folks,

Found an interesting question that tests the knowledge of this topic here. Try it out and post your analysis. :)

A: of determining, in addition to how, when mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies

B: in the determination of how and when the islands of the West Indies were colonized by mammals

C: to determine how mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies and when they did

D: for determining when the islands of the West Indies were colonized by mammals and how they were

E: for determining how and when mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies

I think the answer is E.
Could you please tell the OA?
Thanx. G8 article... :) :)
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [3]
Send PM
Kudos