Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [26]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: ISB '15
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Veritas Prep Live Online-My Take [#permalink]
Hey Souvik,

That's an awesome review !

I undoubtedly agree with the above that Veritas Prep CR and RC books are great !
I have actually gone through the complete Veritas Prep SC book twice. I would agree they are not here to cover each and every grammar rule unlike Mgmat SC ! But yes they give a significant emphasis on use of logic in SC. you need not remember every hard and fast rule, as most of the incorrect answer choices in SC test second tier errors like "because vs due to" , "idioms", "parallelism between gerunds and action nouns". But the good thing is, even without the knowledge of these second tier errors, we can eliminate the wrong answer either though one of the core errors or through logic. I loved Veritas's coverage on illogical meaning and "subject predicate must make sense (termed as logical predication in their book)". Most of the incorrect choices has wrong idiomatic expressions and correct answer choice has the correct idiomatic expression. But if you understand the logic / meaning of the sentence, you can easily recognize the correct choice given the fact that " usage of idioms is a way of encapsulating the correct answer choice, it only misdirects the test taker in thinking hard of the correct idiom or may be make him rely on his ear to eliminate the wrong ones" But use logic and even if you are unaware of the correct idiom or a second tier error, you can easily zero down to the correct answer choice.

So, that's a good aspect Veritas SC preaches you! But as Souvik says, it is not too detailed.

I thought Veritas prep SC + Aristotle SC grail 3rd edition + SC strategies from Veritas advanced verbal strategy book is a great combo.

Alternatively Veritas prep SC + Ron's SC videos work wonders too.

However, I followed the former approach and for folks who's seen me asking for SC help initially , I could say with confidence that the former approach did increase my accuracy to above 80% in OG.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
AbhiJ wrote:
Man you are a GMAT Monster. You have studied almost everything under the sun.
How would you rate MGMAT Advanced SC Workshop as far as its CORE technique is concerned ? Does it offer a new perspective to attack SC problems.

Thanks for the kind words man.
MGMAT SC advanced workshop is good but I am doubtful about the ROI.
Sure the questions are a bit on the 750 side, but you get those on the OG and GMATPREP SC question pack as well.
And separating the core out of the modifiers is a common technique to be used in most questions anyway.
The latest thursdays with Ron takes that into picture as well.
250$ is a lot of money IMO.
Its better to buy the gmatprep Q Pack, watch thursdays with Ron and browse the MGMAT verbal forum extensively with your time.
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
igloo wrote:
Hey Souvik,

I undoubtedly agree with the above that Veritas Prep CR and RC books are great !
I have actually gone through the complete Veritas Prep SC book twice. I would agree they are not here to cover each and every grammar rule unlike Mgmat SC ! But yes they give a significant emphasis on use of logic in SC. you need not remember every hard and fast rule, as most of the incorrect answer choices in SC test second tier errors like "because vs due to" , "idioms", "parallelism between gerunds and action nouns". But the good thing is, even without the knowledge of these second tier errors, we can eliminate the wrong answer either though one of the core errors or through logic. I loved Veritas's coverage on illogical meaning and "subject predicate must make sense (termed as logical predication in their book)". Most of the incorrect choices has wrong idiomatic expressions and correct answer choice has the correct idiomatic expression. But if you understand the logic / meaning of the sentence, you can easily recognize the correct choice given the fact that " usage of idioms is a way of encapsulating the correct answer choice, it only misdirects the test taker in thinking hard of the correct idiom or may be make him rely on his ear to eliminate the wrong ones" But use logic and even if you are unaware of the correct idiom or a second tier error, you can easily zero down to the correct answer choice.

So, that's a good aspect Veritas SC preaches you! But as Souvik says, it is not too detailed.

I thought Veritas prep SC + Aristotle SC grail 3rd edition + SC strategies from Veritas advanced verbal strategy book is a great combo.

However, I followed the former approach and for folks who's seen me asking for SC help initially , I could say with confidence that the former approach did increase my accuracy to above 80% in OG.

@igloo
you are absolutely right. Logic and meaning should be the first step in understanding a sentence correction question.
However, some idiom/rule tricks do come in handy.
For example I did not know "is descended" and "has descended" means entirely two different things and appears to be the deal breaker in one of the official questions.
MGMAT forum and daagh were probably the ones who pointed it out.
Also, whenever I see terms like "ability for", "capability to", my spider sense starts tingling and I get on high alert.
I do, however, think that spending too much time on idioms is a BAD idea holistically.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
igloo wrote:
Hey Souvik,

@igloo
you are absolutely right. Logic and meaning should be the first step in understanding a sentence correction question.
For example I did not know "is descended" and "has descended" means entirely two different things and appears to be the deal breaker in one of the official questions.
Also, whenever I see terms like "ability for", "capability to", my spider sense starts tingling and I get on high alert.
I do, however, think that spending too much time on idioms is a BAD idea holistically.

can you guys share a direct link to Ron's SC lessons?
thanks again :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.02
WE:Other (Education)
Send PM
Do you recommend this class for someone who isn't strong in quant?
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
roygush wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
igloo wrote:
Hey Souvik,

@igloo

can you guys share a direct link to Ron's SC lessons?
thanks again :)

Here you can get the recordings
https://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
Vixen wrote:
Do you recommend this class for someone who isn't strong in quant?

yep I would definitely, if you can afford it its a pretty good deal :-)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Souvik-Awesome analysis man and Kudos for the effort you've put in to compile this thread.

Really helpful for course selection.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
debayan222 wrote:
Souvik-Awesome analysis man and Kudos for the effort you've put in to compile this thread.

Really helpful for course selection.

Thanks dude :-)

Glad it helped.

Sure thing :)

Just sent you a PM about Veritas Prep books.Please check.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Hey Souvik,
I've few queries on the Veritas prep books :

1.Can you please let me know that between Veritas prep's SC1 and SC2 what's the basic difference ? If I consider it for practice,which book should be better-1 or 2 ?

2.Also it would be great if you shed some light on Algebra book...how many Questions(700+),any special strategies etc.!

3.Which one is better and worth to own Algebra or Arithmetic book in your opinion?

Appreciate your feedback.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
debayan222 wrote:
Hey Souvik,
I've few queries on the Veritas prep books :

1.Can you please let me know that between Veritas prep's SC1 and SC2 what's the basic difference ? If I consider it for practice,which book should be better-1 or 2 ?

2.Also it would be great if you shed some light on Algebra book...how many Questions(700+),any special strategies etc.!

3.Which one is better and worth to own Algebra or Arithmetic book in your opinion?

Appreciate your feedback.

Hi!

1. I got the latest 10th anniversary Veritas books which did not have SC1 and SC2. It had 4 Verbal books. 3 for SC, CR and RC and 1 advanced verbal workbook.
2. I have not gone through the quant books except the probability and the word problems book :P. I completely trust the GMATClub tests and Sir Bunuel.
3. None. For quant I would just do GMATClub tests, browse the forum, watch thursdays with Ron, follow Bunuel, try Bunuels signature and if possible do grockit (very good questions on a low budget)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [1]
Send PM