Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:40 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Schools:Kellogg MBA 2004
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 550 Q30 V36
GMAT 2: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 3: 670 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.27
WE:Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Veritas Prep Live Online-My Take [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Archit143 wrote:
Hi Souvik

Can you pls write on how accurate is Veritas prep CAT's. I took the CAT and found that its easy compared to MGMAT.....

Archit

I have only taken one and it depends really.
How easy an adaptive test is really depends on how well you perform in it.
So, its very hard to comment on the difficulty level of a test that is adaptive.
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Souvik..I hav ebeen following you since long...I have read nearly all your posts...But i did not find any post on various CAT's...May be i would have missed...If you have written sthn on various CAT's can you pls post the link

Archit
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2754 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:

Veritas Prep Live Online-My Take

DISCLAIMER: The author of this article has taken Knewton on demand course, veritas live online course, e-gmat SC cource, 5 e-gmat live classes, almost all thursdays with Ron classes, MGMAT Advanced SC workshop, a few MGMAT live classes, GMATPill free videos, gone through all MGMAT 4th edition books, 5th edition CR book (probably not in excruciating detail), all Veritas Prep 10th anniversary books (except geometry, AWA/IR), Aristotle new 3rd edition SC and CR grail and MGMAT Advanced Quant. He does not work for Veritas Prep or its competitors in any function and any resemblance to any character, living or dead, is probably intentional :)

Well, I thought I would write a very elaborate review on veritas prep live online course after I have taken my GMAT so that it adds some credibility. But due to some work issues I had to postpone my GMAT to at least February and so here we go, before I forget what happened in those Live Classes.

Details of the course

Instructor: Bill Robinson and Mark Douglas.
    Course duration: 6 weeks. 12 classes in total spanned over the weekends.
    Duration: Classes normally take around 3-3.5 hours and the instructor stays as long as you want him/her to (i have to stress this) for elaborate Q & A sessions.
    Instructor Support: Good. I have to mention that I did not hear back from my instructor after the course was over. Well, that happens everywhere I guess.
    Practice CATs: Took only 1. Score 750. Good verbal. DS became especially difficult during the end.

Quant: Problem Solving and Data sufficiency

Veritas completely aced here. Not only were the classes stimulating, but also were probably the best in the business (I have been in a couple of MGMAT classes: courtesy friends). Veritas classes on quants really take it hard from the very beginning and is especially helpful for guys with a quant background (*cough* Indian IT *cough*) who think that quant will be a piece of cake. It WILL NOT.
The book covers almost everything. Couple of things to mention here about the books:
  • Veritas has the BEST books on Statistics/Combinatorics, Word problems and Arithmetic. Dont get me wrong. The other books are awesome too. But these books stand out as the best in the market right now.
  • I doubt there is any type of quant question you are going to get on GMATPrep or the actual GMAT which tests concepts that has not been discussed in the material.
  • Veritas Prep does an excellent job by tackling data sufficiency as a standalone topic rather than fusing it with problem solving. Most companies do this but are not entirely successful.
  • Coordinate Geometry is the only topic which I think veritas prep should give more importance to. There are a couple of DS questions on Coordinate geometry which takes some analytical graphical skill (better explained in thursdays with Ron and Bunuel's sets). Bunuel is a human quant course anyway so any help would not be far away.
  • The problem sets were good and the instructor specifically mailed the problem lists containing the harder problems for people who are already familiar with the GMAT.

Sentence Correction/Critical Reasoning/Reading Comprehension

Although I used to be proud of my verbal skills, I was unpleasantly surprised with my verbal performance in couple of problem sets. I shared the class with Vips000 (moderator and an awesome contributor on GMATClub) and there was this day in which I just blanked out and we were getting almost all wrong (I would like to attribute my performance to fatigue after a nap, but then that would be as lousy an excuse as the new Apple Maps). Veritas CR and RC will make you cry if you thought you were a verbal prodigy. I had a CR accuracy of 93% in OG 13 in august and in 2 problem sets it was definitely below 80%. In RC, however it was below 70%. This not only served as a reality check, but also gave a nice little blow to my fledging over confidence. For people who struggle with RC, veritas prep, IMO, has the best RC strategy there is (STOP strategy they call it). Couple of points to note here.
  • Critical Reasoning book is definitely satisfactory and surprisingly thin. This is not bad at all because too many theories is CR essentially reduces one's power of comprehension, which the GMAT tests in the first place.
  • The RC book is nice and fat and worth every page. (thing to note here is that the books have plenty of spaces to take notes for a postponed review. Makes sense to include the space.
  • The SC book, IMO, lacks content and needs some work. No matter how much we hate it, SC does need a lot of rules which the veritas guys decided to skip. So a second SC book is necessary (see competitor analysis below)
  • Problem sets including SC are really great and a refresher to work through. Each problem is unique in the particular concept it tests which makes it more interesting.
  • There is a separate book for advanced verbal strategy. Stay away from the book until you are done with the other ones. This book might make you scream. Remember the super tough CR from the GMATClub contest? Its there.
  • The biggest advantage/disadvantage of the veritas problems is that they are not available in GMATClub or the other forum we go to sometimes. This enables you to really think about it rather than just looking through what other people said. I remember Vips (the same guy mentioned above) got into engaging conversations with a couple of questions, and I am sure it has helped him in some way or the other.

Final Thoughts

ROI: I won Veritas Prep live online course, thanks to the GMATClub contest. I got it for free. It is pretty expensive considering the conversion rates to international economy. However the ROI is pretty decent IMHO, as you get all the books, 15 CATs (too much though) and all the videos and the IPad app.
IPad App: This was the most brilliant feature of the course. I really really hope they would market the app more as the app is simply amazing. The app essentially contains video lessons of every GMAT topic on earth (taken from the veritas books) and also contains an amazing collection of questions and explanations (all in video; really interactive and brilliant stuffs).
AWA and IR: I skipped the class as I had a party. I will, however, watch the recording (a fairly common feature in prep companies).
Recommended?: Yes, absolutely. But Veritas is not the prep company which believes in spoon-feeding. You have to do a lot of work yourself and the pre assessment tests are pretty comprehensive and elaborate.

Competitor Analysis

Manhattan GMAT: In my opinion Veritas beats Manhattan GMAT in terms of Quant and RC books and course contents. MGMAT however, has thursdays with Ron, which most of us would agree as the most invaluable free material out there. Ron Purewal is the champ. So is Stacey Koprince. There are incredible people in veritas such as Bryan Galvin, Bill Robinson as well but they are not as available to people as Ron is. But then not everybody could be as awesome as Karishma (VeritasPrepKarishma in GMAT Club) and she does overcompensate for the absence of others. Kudos to her. I was in Manhattan GMAT advanced SC workshop and I am really sad that I could answer every question correctly. I really signed up for it to be a challenge. One or two questions in the advanced bank were wrong, though Ron was nice enough to acknowledge and correct them. Detailes here. Manhattan GMAT, has a very strong forum which has its experts participating in a very little turn around time and a lot of valuable discussions can be found there.

e-GMAT: e-GMAT is probably the GMAT Course with the best ROI in the market (there are other players in that budget such as GMAT Pill but I have always thought e-GMAT to be far superior in verbal). One of the major advantages with e-GMAT is that they will make you grind through official questions, which is unarguably the best source out there. e-GMAT SC, as acknowledged by countless users in GMAT Club is probably the best out there and I am a huge fan of their RC strategy as well (huge congrats to Shradhha for winning the iPad: Perhaps an iPad app in the news? :P). Also I think e-GMAT is working really hard on content and they try to make you work as minimally as possible, in contrast to Veritas and MGMAT which really needs you to browse a LOT of forum, find out a lot of hidden topics that the GMAT tests and discover yourself. However, e-GMAT lacks quant and grockit does not compensate for a full blown course. There are a couple of minor errors with a couple of CR questions that they created (some SV errors in the prompt) which were being discussed in some other forum which got me depressed as I am a huge fan of e-GMAT. While I agree that e-GMAT has the best SC coursework, I do stand by veritas Prep in its RC and CR materials. Got me blown away.

Aristotle SC grail: Confused with the name? Read the 3rd edition SC grail and you would not. SC Grail 3rd edition, is by far the best SC book out there and yes I have read MGMAT SC more times than I have checked my Kudos count :P. MGMAT SC is priceless but was pretty difficult to grasp when I was just starting out. SC Grail second edition was a smooth journey and the 3rd edition is twice as fat and all the pages are well worth their existence.

Other PREP Companies: I took knewton because I adored Jose Pereira. It was good while it lasted. I did not know anything about GMAT when I started off and knewton gave me a solid groundwork. But I am sure it could not take me beyond 680-700. Veritas Prep, Manhattah GMAT, e-GMAT are there to do that but you must put a lot of efforts yourself.

That was a lot wasn't it? It is too big for me to check for grammar/ spelling errors so please don't make fun of them.
Thanks to Veritas Prep for giving me the course for free. I hope this review helps you get the investment returned :-)

Can you give feedback on Jeff Sackmann quant material.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi souvik101990, I would like to ask you about the GMAT Grammar book

I have already studied with Brazilian professors and material, then I used OG and EMPOWER Gmat.... but I'm stuck on V33, and think that I could improve my score by getting better on SC questions so I could move faster and more confident.

Now I'm planning to study for 2 more weeks only on SC and then 1 week to refine time strategy to take another Gmat exam.

The thing is, I would like to make a comprehensive SC review and I am wondering if Gmat Grammar book would give me what I'm looking for, wether it would be a good source.

In your opinion would it be better to go for e-gmat to study SC or Gmat Grammar Book?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi TiagoSchelp,

Since this is your first post in the Forums, you can feel free to reach out to me (or Max) at any time. In addition, you should reach out to the Support Team (at Info@empowergmat.com) if you're looking for additional advice or suggestions regarding your studies. With a V33, you're likely missing out on some significant points in at least 2 of the 3 major Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR). So if you've self-assessed that you need some extra SC work, then that's good - but there's probably other areas that you should work on as well.

1) How comfortable are you with the major grammar rules in SC?
2) How often do you find yourself narrowing the answers down to 2 choices and then "guessing" on SCs?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi TiagoSchelp,

Since this is your first post in the Forums, you can feel free to reach out to me (or Max) at any time. In addition, you should reach out to the Support Team if you're looking for additional advice or suggestions regarding your studies. With a V33, you're likely missing out on some significant points in at least 2 of the 3 major Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR). So if you've self-assessed that you need some extra SC work, then that's good - but there's probably other areas that you should work on as well.

2) How often do you find yourself narrowing the answers down to 2 choices and then "guessing" on SCs?

Rich

Rich, that's nice(and unexpected) reading a msg from you...
I got here because the Max advice to study with GMAT Grammar book. Can I write my doubts for you here or should I write elsewhere? I'll Write here, and if I need to move to another place please tell me.

Talking about Verbal
I'm happy with time strategy and accuracy (when not under time pressure).

What happens is that in RC and CR I take too long because I spent too much time on reading, but I don't find myself moving around on the answer choices, usually I go straight and forward through those. Besides that I still spend more time than I think it would me necessary.

On SC sometimes I spend a lot of time until I find what is being tested and then the right answer, some times I just don't...kkk. Answering your questions:

I feel comfortable, I know them, but I think that they are not fresh in my mind as long as I easily understand explanations, but get confused sometimes while practicing. Also If I spend more time on a question my chances are higher to get it right, as if I have to dig to remember (of find) what is there.

More than I would like, 3 to 5 times in a CAT I think.

In short:
RC, CR: direct and straight in the answers, takes longer than I think it would be Necessary, but Reading carefully, one read is enough.
SC: sometimes get stuck, narrowing the answers, thinking and thinking ... going back on reconsidering scratched choices because I'm not confident, etc ... (not all the time ... but a few)

With that I walk a fine line for the CAT. I spend extra time on SC to get it right, then, when time presses, I can not focus on the RC and CR anymore as I should, because it takes time, and try to run the next SC that is where I have more uncertain answers, so it is there when disaster happens, sometimes it goes OK and I get V38, but as I said, it is a fine line. To get an idea, what worked best for me was to skip the third RC completely to save time for the second half of the test.

My plan:
Study SC and read more

Lasts results on CATs for verbal
35(real Exam) 32 33 34 31 38 41 33 33 38 31(Real exam)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi TiagoSchelp,

The 'issues' with the Verbal section that you're describing actually affect many Test Takers, so you're not alone. They CAN be dealt with in a rather straight-forward way, but you will have to make some changes to how you react to Verbal questions. Since it sounds like you've never emailed the Support Team, I suggest that you send them the information that you posted here - they should be able to help you immediately and give you the advice that you'll need to improve.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi TiagoSchelp,

The 'issues' with the Verbal section that you're describing actually affect many Test Takers, so you're not alone. They CAN be dealt with in a rather straight-forward way, but you will have to make some changes to how you react to Verbal questions. Since it sounds like you've never emailed the Support Team, I suggest that you send them the information that you posted here - they should be able to help you immediately and give you the advice that you'll need to improve.

Rich

Rich,
I'll do that right away... I missed by not e-mailing the support team...

Thank's a lot... I'll beat that a tall guy with a knife ...
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2