Last visit was: 28 May 2024, 16:49 It is currently 28 May 2024, 16:49
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: AKPsi, ISA
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.53
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Re: Post MBA options in energy [#permalink]
ManhattanReview wrote:
Prospects in an emerging industry are mostly about the effort that you make in business school to position yourself. Since very few clean tech companies recruit at top MBA programs, most of the effort to find a job will be up to you. I had a few friends in business school who wanted to pursue non-traditional careers or live in areas where recruitment was not active (on-campus) so they became active in industry/professional clubs, starting to make contacts as a graduate student in companies they were interested in (people like to speak to students), and even did two consulting studies for companies in their target industry. By such efforts, all were able to secure jobs by the time they graduated. One thing they also did was to target alumni from day one -- and keep in touch with them throughout the course of their education.

If this is your goal, then you should go for it. Just go in with an open mind and know that you have to invest a lot of energy developing your own career opportunities.

Hi Kim,

Thank you for the advice. What kind of consulting projects did your friends do? Was it like a summer internship or more like the consulting projects done at IMD? Also, do you think there is any way to contact alumni of a school before you join to find out more about the prospective networking opportunities in the energy industry at my school of choice? or some other way I can contact professionals already in the industry to find out which school will give me the best opportunities?

Thanks again,
Christian
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hey Chris,
I am so happy that you are also looking for Cleantech. Welcome to the club buddy 8-)
The best way to get in touch with Alumns is through admissions office and the respective clubs( ex: Energy club, Cleantech club).
Drop them an email and wait patiently :| for them to reply. The best schools will reply with contacts. Then you can ask for a skype meeting.
Also search for websites and you will get a lot of them.

Hey man, when are you applying? I am applying for 2014 start class. Mostly US schools. I am looking for Consulting in Cleantech, mainly Green Energy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Halemani wrote:
Hey Chris,
I am so happy that you are also looking for Cleantech. Welcome to the club buddy 8-)
The best way to get in touch with Alumns is through admissions office and the respective clubs( ex: Energy club, Cleantech club).
Drop them an email and wait patiently :| for them to reply. The best schools will reply with contacts. Then you can ask for a skype meeting.
Also search for websites and you will get a lot of them.

Hey man, when are you applying? I am applying for 2014 start class. Mostly US schools. I am looking for Consulting in Cleantech, mainly Green Energy.

Hey Halemani,

Thanks for your message and your advice. I was applying for last/this year (to start fall 2013) and also mostly sought US schools, and am keeping my options open for various cleantech opportunities, including consulting. In the end, though I got offers from a few US schools I decided on a European school - IESE School of Business in Barcelona.
My application process did yeild some useful info on US schools though. Aside from the obvious clean-tech champions like Berkeley, MIT, and Stanford, there are other programs that have growing importance like Rice, Georgetown and George Washington. The first in energy finance, the second two in clean-tech consulting and policy (they also both offered me scholarships if financial obligations is a consideration of yours).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quote:
Hey Halemani,

Thanks for your message and your advice. I was applying for last/this year (to start fall 2013) and also mostly sought US schools, and am keeping my options open for various cleantech opportunities, including consulting. In the end, though I got offers from a few US schools I decided on a European school - IESE School of Business in Barcelona.
My application process did yeild some useful info on US schools though. Aside from the obvious clean-tech champions like Berkeley, MIT, and Stanford, there are other programs that have growing importance like Rice, Georgetown and George Washington. The first in energy finance, the second two in clean-tech consulting and policy (they also both offered me scholarships if financial obligations is a consideration of yours).

Hey Chris,
Congratulations! Good that you got into IESE. Yes I need financing for my MBA. Converting rupees to dollars takes a hit on my shallow pocket :) I did not know that George W school has cleantech!
Anyway, I will keep in touch with you for some help. Hope I can trouble you with my troubles :)
So, why did you choose IESE and not Georgetown?!!
Also, what do you say about Boston School of Mgmt's Cleantech minor course?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
I'm employed in Energy sector and am also looking for programs specializing in Energy/ Cleantech.

You may add Haas to the list for clean tech. It is a solid program with good recruitment in clean energy. Texas Austin is another one to look out for Energy.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey kunzi,
Thanks for Hass. But people here in forum are saying McCombs is not that great in Cleantech even though it has a CT elective! I have not verified it though.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
Kudos
Halemani wrote:
Hey kunzi,
Thanks for Hass. But people here in forum are saying McCombs is not that great in Cleantech even though it has a CT elective! I have not verified it though.

That's true indeed and that's what I've mentioned: Haas for CT and UT for Energy. But we are talking relative here. UT has got some great options for CT too, but they are fewer as compared to Haas.

Halemani dude, i deserve kudos here i guess. Thanks doesn't work in GMAT Club :wink:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Agreeeed...;)
Also, check out my Forum page on CT: renewables-cleantech-green-energy-151609.html
Nobody is responding man.... :roll:
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93500 posts
GMAT Tutor
1898 posts