Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 03:09 It is currently 07 May 2024, 03:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 473 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Good School this year vs Elite School next year [#permalink]
Depends...if your GMAT is already 720+ (I'm saying 720 because it looks like you're in the Indian pool), then I'd say a higher GMAT doesn't have much use. Promotion is good, but I think more importantly it gives you better leadership content to write about in your essays or talk to in your interviews.

Using myself as an example, if I were to re-apply next year (I'm not because I'm already 30+...need to get moving!), I wouldn't take the GMAT again. My 700 was either at the average, or less than 20 points below it at my target schools, and my quant score was above the 80th%ile. I doubt I would have more significant work experience to talk about. But after four applications, I'm confident I could write much better essays to convey all the cool things I've done to the Adcom. I think that's the biggest X-factor, and I bet you could write better essays next year after having gone through the wringer once already.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
Depends...if your GMAT is already 720+ (I'm saying 720 because it looks like you're in the Indian pool), then I'd say a higher GMAT doesn't have much use. Promotion is good, but I think more importantly it gives you better leadership content to write about in your essays or talk to in your interviews.

Using myself as an example, if I were to re-apply next year (I'm not because I'm already 30+...need to get moving!), I wouldn't take the GMAT again. My 700 was either at the average, or less than 20 points below it at my target schools, and my quant score was above the 80th%ile. I doubt I would have more significant work experience to talk about. But after four applications, I'm confident I could write much better essays to convey all the cool things I've done to the Adcom. I think that's the biggest X-factor, and I bet you could write better essays next year after having gone through the wringer once already.

I am indeed from India and my score is 680 , a 40 point improvement is not guaranteed and I have been in this process for two years now , I would say that this latest year I have had better results , But I wont be able to generalize. I am also aware that the time consuming and the grilling process of apps is not viewed favorably by many. My recomenders just put up their hands in despair and told me to stop it :(. I fear what it would be like next year :D. I know lot of compromises have to be made if you are stepping out of your home country. Job security becomes essential and tech companies are the least painful companies in that aspect. But at the same time I do feel that I would waste my consulting experience if were to go to a tech company post MBA.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
crackHSW wrote:
CobraKai wrote:

I am indeed from India and my score is 680 , a 40 point improvement is not guaranteed and I have been in this process for two years now , I would say that this latest year I have had better results , But I wont be able to generalize. I am also aware that the time consuming and the grilling process of apps is not viewed favorably by many. My recomenders just put up their hands in despair and told me to stop it :(. I fear what it would be like next year :D. I know lot of compromises have to be made if you are stepping out of your home country. Job security becomes essential and tech companies are the least painful companies in that aspect. But at the same time I do feel that I would waste my consulting experience if were to go to a tech company post MBA.

That's tough but my recommenders are so happy I'm matriculating this year even if it just means they don't have to write anything for me again this fall. They've been at it for awhile and at some point you have to accept that where you are is where youre going to end up.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aerien wrote:
crackHSW wrote:
CobraKai wrote:

That's tough but my recommenders are so happy I'm matriculating this year even if it just means they don't have to write anything for me again this fall. They've been at it for awhile and at some point you have to accept that where you are is where youre going to end up.

I did not disclose it to my immediate supervisors about my plans for MBA , because that would have jeopardized my promotion , not that i wanted it , but its better to leave the organization with your head high ( read as at a higher level in hierarchy) than at the same level at which you joined :D. My managers from earlier organizations and project would not have my career aspirations on the top of their to-do list . So I had to play it out very conservatively, but I guess the number of apps played a spoilsport. Next year or this year is still not sure , but I cannot go the same set of recommenders even if I wish to :(
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73076 [2]
Given Kudos: 18915
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
crackHSW wrote:
I have a dilemma , I have admit from Univ of Washington - Foster MBA for Fall 2013. I am aware its presence in Seattle makes it a big feeder school to Tech companies in and around Seattle. Would anyone suggest me whether consulting companies in Seattle would be a long shot to consider out of this school. Also what kind of verticals would the consulting companies cater to, my guess is it would be technology or healthcare or biotech. I intend to get into Product Management/Business development in MS/Amazon etc and then eventually try to step into investment advisory firms that advise specifically tech startups. If this is not possible should I try to give a shot to better schools such as UCLA etc on the west coast next year. Presently I am working with a Data Analytics Consulting firm dealing with financial services clients. I also have a WL from Georgetown. Would it be worth to wait for another year and try to get into the top 15 schools next year.

The main feeder markets for the Foster would be
Amazon (hiring like crazy)
Microsoft (some - they like to cherry pick)
Some biotech
Some tech/startups/etc

However, Foster is a heavily regional school (once you leave WA or OR, few people will know about it and it's MBA value).
It is not a heavy consulting school but not terrible - about 16 grads went into consulting; while 29 went into Marketing and Sales. That's out of about 93 reporting.

On the flip side it is a small program (only 107 grads last year) and 96% were employed 3 months out vs. 87% at UCLA

Bottom line - I don't think it is going to be a suicide to go to Foster. However, keep the weather in mind - it is pretty nasty over here.

Edit to add: will PM You.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Any more inputs would be really helpful :), I am looking for suggestions especially for consulting from Foster. BB has already posted the figures , I would like to know how many of those 16 were internationals and especially would love to hear about how the consulting recruiting happens at Foster.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts