Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 01:59 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
GPA: 3.61
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
My status hasn't changed. I interviewed on Feb 19th.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45
Send PM
bas979 wrote:

Hello bass, are you still considering mccombs or will you be attending another school. thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [3]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
bas979 wrote:
I got the email as well.

Now I'm trying to decide whether I would want to go to UT or UVA. I live in Texas, so UT would be a lot cheaper, but I don't want money to be a deciding factor. Any thoughts on the advantages of one program over the other?

Congrats to all the admits!

I applied to UVA and was waitlisted, but I heavily researched both schools. Here are a few of my thoughts.

UVA does have the stronger brand that is true, especially if you are shooting for m/b/b, of course keep in mind there will be a lot of competition for those firms anywhere. Now if you are content with Deloitte, Accenture etc, then McCombs will get you there just as easily I'd think. As far as the salary differences, most consulting firms have standard salaries that they pay graduating MBA's. They will be the same at McCombs and Darden.

A few other differences that I've noticed. Darden has nicer facilities, I was really impressed by them during my visit. Darden you really have to love the case method because it's 100%. They are also notorious for having a larger work load than any other school. This is because you have to read 3 cases every night and meet with your learning team to discuss them. It's a lot of work and students did say it's very difficult to balance the recruiting and other activities with the work load. However, everyone there is in the same boat so you aren't really at a disadvantage compared to your peers. UVA is definitely unique, so if you're a good fit you'll love it, if you aren't a good fit you probably won't.

Now, if you want to end up in Texas after school, UT is a great choice because local firms and offices are very loyal to Texas alum. At least that's what I've heard. Austin is also a more fun city, much more energy and more to do. Charlottesville seems nice but its small and not close to much, that's just my impression after visiting both schools once, but I think most people will agree that Austin is a great city.

Honestly, you can't go wrong, you're in an awesome position. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rjdunn,

Great post!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
bas979 wrote:

Mine either. Still the same.

Interviewed on Feb 20th and I had to go through hell to do it. Been in Ljubljana Slovenia on a project but hotel had a poor internet connection. So had to drive two hours to Zagreb Croatia after work just to do the interview and then back to Ljubljana. I am so glad it ended well. :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Send PM
illbemba wrote:
rjdunn,

Great post!

Hey thanks, congrats on all your admits! Looks like you got in to most places I was waitlisted haha. Do you know where you'll be going?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rjdunn03 wrote:
illbemba wrote:
rjdunn,

Great post!

Hey thanks, congrats on all your admits! Looks like you got in to most places I was waitlisted haha. Do you know where you'll be going?

Thanks! Congrats to you on McCombs.

Not yet.

My next steps are as following:
1) I am waiting for the response from mccombs( in regards to money), waiting from Booth and Johnson (in regards to decision and money)
2) Money is the main driver - because I have a huge family and actively investing money in entrepreneurial ideas. I really don't want a big loan after school to affect my decision making or professional choices. So considering this fact, I am most likely to go either to tepper or darden (unless mccombs or cornell come up with a bigger financial support)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GPA: 3.61
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
rjdunn03 wrote:
bas979 wrote:
I got the email as well.

Now I'm trying to decide whether I would want to go to UT or UVA. I live in Texas, so UT would be a lot cheaper, but I don't want money to be a deciding factor. Any thoughts on the advantages of one program over the other?

Congrats to all the admits!

I applied to UVA and was waitlisted, but I heavily researched both schools. Here are a few of my thoughts.

UVA does have the stronger brand that is true, especially if you are shooting for m/b/b, of course keep in mind there will be a lot of competition for those firms anywhere. Now if you are content with Deloitte, Accenture etc, then McCombs will get you there just as easily I'd think. As far as the salary differences, most consulting firms have standard salaries that they pay graduating MBA's. They will be the same at McCombs and Darden.

A few other differences that I've noticed. Darden has nicer facilities, I was really impressed by them during my visit. Darden you really have to love the case method because it's 100%. They are also notorious for having a larger work load than any other school. This is because you have to read 3 cases every night and meet with your learning team to discuss them. It's a lot of work and students did say it's very difficult to balance the recruiting and other activities with the work load. However, everyone there is in the same boat so you aren't really at a disadvantage compared to your peers. UVA is definitely unique, so if you're a good fit you'll love it, if you aren't a good fit you probably won't.

Now, if you want to end up in Texas after school, UT is a great choice because local firms and offices are very loyal to Texas alum. At least that's what I've heard. Austin is also a more fun city, much more energy and more to do. Charlottesville seems nice but its small and not close to much, that's just my impression after visiting both schools once, but I think most people will agree that Austin is a great city.

Honestly, you can't go wrong, you're in an awesome position. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide.

Awesome post. I've been thinking about a lot of the things that you mentioned. I'm determined to not let the work load at UVA be a deterrent for me. I really think that I might end up getting frustrated with the case study method, particularly if I already have a good understanding of a case, having to meet to discuss if further might eventually get pretty stressful for me.

I would be perfectly happy to stay in Texas. So with those things in mind, I think I am leaning towards UT. Thanks for the input.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bas979 wrote:

Awesome post. I've been thinking about a lot of the things that you mentioned. I'm determined to not let the work load at UVA be a deterrent for me. I really think that I might end up getting frustrated with the case study method, particularly if I already have a good understanding of a case, having to meet to discuss if further might eventually get pretty stressful for me.

I would be perfectly happy to stay in Texas. So with those things in mind, I think I am leaning towards UT. Thanks for the input.

Considering such a potent dislike for case method, its surprising to see hbs and darden in your selection of schools.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
bas979 wrote:

You're welcome! I understand that. I was talking to a student during my visit who said her learning team meets 2 to 3 hours a night. I was thinking to myself that that would probably feel like a waste of time if you already understand the days cases. Especially in light of everything else you could be doing.

It's hard to say if all groups meet for that long though.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Congrats to Rd 3 admits. Are you people going to Admit Weekend?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
bas979 wrote:

Thanks for the response. Didn't receive an email today - trying to stay positive, but I think its an ominous sign.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBAprocrastinator wrote:
bas979 wrote:

Thanks for the response. Didn't receive an email today - trying to stay positive, but I think its an ominous sign.

When is the final decision date? For other rounds decisions were released daily for about 5 days to a week.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GRE 1: Q760 V670
GPA: 3.47
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
kasonhills wrote:
MBAprocrastinator wrote:
bas979 wrote:

When is the final decision date? For other rounds decisions were released daily for about 5 days to a week.

Yeah, judging from the other rounds, it's not a death blow to not get an email today... but... it's not looking good. It appeared that some people did get in without the email. Chances are slimming, though.

The last date is next friday.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Congrats to all admitted

Has anyone international heard back from them?

I was interviewed on February 13 and I assume I haven't heard back since I'm either international (PLEASE GOD LET IT BE SO) or denied..

:-\
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Calls and e-mails had gone out for two or three days before I got the call so try not to stress too much if you don't get accepted today. Easier said than done right.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Got another e-mail about the preview weekend. there was a survey about a class on friday now. i hope they do one because i'm getting in kinda late on thursday so i wont be able to go to a class then.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  36   37   38   39   40   41   42  ...  50   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts