Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 22:21 It is currently 02 May 2024, 22:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.95
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.37
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65050 [0]
Given Kudos: 430
Send PM
Re: Relationship between OG percent correct and GMAT score? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
SJD wrote:
Hello everyone,

Can anyone offer an estimate of predicted GMAT scores (Quant, Verbal, and Combined Score) based upon results from the Official Guide 12th Edition and Quant/Verbal 2nd Editions?

I'm currently getting 97% of the Quantitative problems and 91% of the Verbal problems correct (OG 12 and Quant+Verbal 2nd Editions). Is 9 out of 10 good enough to score in the 40-44 range in the Verbal section? Can one assume that a 90% percent correct on the OG guides roughly implies a 90th percentile result on the GMAT? (PS and DS results are 98% and 96%, with CR, RC, and SC results at 94%, 91%, and 90%, respectively). There is not a significant reduction (< 2-3%) in the percentage of problems correct as the problems become more difficult, i.e. later problems in the OG guides.

I have already taken the GMAT (Q:50 (93%), V:33(66%), C:690(88%)), but I am hoping to improve my Verbal score to raise my combined score into the 740-760 range. My Verbal results during this round of study are much improved from my last round of study (from about 65% to 91% correct). I'm hoping a percent correct increase (25% or so) on the Official Guides is indicative of a corresponding percentile result increase (from 66% to around 90%+) on the GMAT exam.

Thank you in advance for any comments,
SJD

Actually, most of the OG questions are on the easier side, in my opinion. The tougher questions combined with time constraints and adaptive nature make the actual GMAT much harder and hence, the two are not comparable. You will need to take a GMAT prep test instead.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1241 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Hi VeritasPrepKarishma

Would you rate only last 1/3 of any edition of any OG revision as HARD?
Does the same logic goes true for quant and verbal review too?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
Hi VeritasPrepKarishma

In every OG, the harder questions are at the end of each section, and the easier questions are at the beginning. That's also true for the Quant and Verbal Review books. (The earliest OG I have is the 2012 edition, so it's possible that this wasn't always the case. However, it's true for all of the books since 2012.)

However, the arrangement of questions isn't perfect. I don't know how the GMAC decides what order to use, but I can think of a few cases where there's an easier question towards the end of a section, or a harder question towards the beginning.

Whether you'd call the last 1/3 'hard' or not depends on what 'hard' means to you. A GMAT question doesn't just have a single difficulty level. Instead, the GMAT uses data on which test-takers get the question right or wrong across the board. For instance, you might have Question X and Question Y. On Question X, 80% of 700-level test-takers get it right, but only 10% of 600-level test-takers get it right. On Question Y, 70% of 700-level test-takers get it right, but 40% of 600-level test-takers get it right. Which question is 'harder'? It's tough to say.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1241 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
bb Bunuel abhimahna

Does it make sense to use GC Timer in that case to guage difficulty level of OG Qs with
fair accuracy?

Reason: At times I am spending far too much time on analyzing hard qs. It seems
that I need to skip them at present and achieve close to 100% accuracy in easy and medium
qs. This is purely to achieve 600-700 range score in mocks first to advance further.

Let me know if this makes sense.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72981 [1]
Given Kudos: 18906
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Relationship between OG percent correct and GMAT score? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
bb Bunuel abhimahna

Does it make sense to use GC Timer in that case to guage difficulty level of OG Qs with
fair accuracy?

Reason: At times I am spending far too much time on analyzing hard qs. It seems
that I need to skip them at present and achieve close to 100% accuracy in easy and medium
qs. This is purely to achieve 600-700 range score in mocks first to advance further.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Yes. It has already been done here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/guide-to-the ... 44081.html
You can find difficulty next to each question on an easy, medium, hard, and very hard scale. If you want even more precise scale, you can find it on each individual question.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65050 [1]
Given Kudos: 430
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
Hi VeritasPrepKarishma

The difficulty level (as we know it) of most of the OG questions will fall below 650. There are certainly some in the 700-800 range and those you will find in the latter part of the section. But mind you, the questions are not strictly arranged in increasing order of difficulty.
Another option is that you can search for OG questions with difficulty level below 600 and 600-700 on GMAT Club and work through them here (though not sure how much time it is actually going to save you!!).
GMAT Club Bot