Last visit was: 06 Jun 2024, 07:09 It is currently 06 Jun 2024, 07:09
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Re: Columbia MBA and Stern MBA concerns [#permalink]
Expert Reply
With no full time work experience your chances of getting into Stern and CBS now are basically zero. Imo, both of these schools aren't super friendly to younger applicants.

If you're set on those schools, get some work experience and apply in a few years. Why do you want an MSA? If you don't want to be an accountant, that's going to be a painful program to complete. Sure people go into accounting for awhile and switch careers, but most of those people started out thinking they'd actually like it (or at least were ok with it due to job security, etc)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
aerien wrote:
With no full time work experience your chances of getting into Stern and CBS now are basically zero. Imo, both of these schools aren't super friendly to younger applicants.

If you're set on those schools, get some work experience and apply in a few years. Why do you want an MSA? If you don't want to be an accountant, that's going to be a painful program to complete. Sure people go into accounting for awhile and switch careers, but most of those people started out thinking they'd actually like it (or at least were ok with it due to job security, etc)

Thanks for your honest opinion, the reason I chose the MSA was due to the job security like you mentioned and I'm for the most part interested in taxes and accounting in general. But as I started taking management courses I find them more interesting in general and suit me better as I do not really fit the normal stereotype for accounting people(not trying to sound pejorative). It will probably not take me too long to complete the courses required for MSA degree anyway because I have almost the maximum course waivers for it. I'm leaning toward finishing my MSA first then apply to MBA but I asked myself if it's not going to hurt me why not try apply now you know? Thanks again!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
A couple of points. What do you mean by you will start in the Spring? Spring semester is almost over and Spring quarters have begun at all schools that offer quarters. You also mention that you will "finish up" the MSA. So again, have you actually enrolled in your MSA or not yet? If you haven't, turn down your acceptance into the MSA and go get a full-time job. I can't speak for Stern but last year Columbia only admitted 1 student with no full-time experience and from my understanding they have not admitted anybody for this coming year without full-time employment. So if you work part-time and get a Master's Degree and then apply you will not get in. It just won't happen. The only people getting accepted with no experience have somehow managed to save the world in their spare time while in school. An on-again/off-again job in the insurance industry won't do the trick. Honestly I don't see many, if any, jobs where the MBA and MSA will make you a stronger candidate than an MBA with accounting work experience.

In short, I think that getting the MSA will waste valuable time you cannot recover and will not further your long-term goals while costing money. This sounds like a losing proposition all around. You can easily get a job in accounting without the MSA. Spend 3-4 years working full time in accounting then apply. Full-time work, a 770 GMAT, just add in some decent extra-curriculars and you will be a very strong shot at CBS and NYU. If you get another degree, don't work full-time and then apply you honestly have maybe a 5% chance at best.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
A couple of points. What do you mean by you will start in the Spring? Spring semester is almost over and Spring quarters have begun at all schools that offer quarters. You also mention that you will "finish up" the MSA. So again, have you actually enrolled in your MSA or not yet? If you haven't, turn down your acceptance into the MSA and go get a full-time job. I can't speak for Stern but last year Columbia only admitted 1 student with no full-time experience and from my understanding they have not admitted anybody for this coming year without full-time employment. So if you work part-time and get a Master's Degree and then apply you will not get in. It just won't happen. The only people getting accepted with no experience have somehow managed to save the world in their spare time while in school. An on-again/off-again job in the insurance industry won't do the trick. Honestly I don't see many, if any, jobs where the MBA and MSA will make you a stronger candidate than an MBA with accounting work experience.

In short, I think that getting the MSA will waste valuable time you cannot recover and will not further your long-term goals while costing money. This sounds like a losing proposition all around. You can easily get a job in accounting without the MSA. Spend 3-4 years working full time in accounting then apply. Full-time work, a 770 GMAT, just add in some decent extra-curriculars and you will be a very strong shot at CBS and NYU. If you get another degree, don't work full-time and then apply you honestly have maybe a 5% chance at best.

:( Thanks for your honesty, you made me reconsider my options now lol, can anyone substantiate this so I can decide what to do next? Oh and when I said Spring semester I meant next spring, I'm graduating this Fall. And I haven't actually enrolled in the MSA, my school has a pre-admission thing where one can get admitted to the program during undergraduate years given that everything else is in order such as GPA. If full-time experience is really that important I'm confident I can get one while doing the master's program.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Full-time work really is that important. For an MBA program, unlike frankly any other graduate program, this is typically the most important piece of your candidacy. Please go get a full-time job.

If you needed an MSA to get an entry-level accounting job I would be more understanding, but you simply don't. Not only do entry level jobs in the field not require higher degrees, but neither do most higher level posts.The only person I know from my old accounting group who has an MSA got it after years in the industry as a way to build upon experience and sharpen her skills. The key is that she wanted to further build her career in accounting, which she really enjoys.

Whether or not you decide to apply to an MBA program in a few years, your work experience will help chart your path for what you want to do with your life.

I almost applied to law school my senior year, largely because I didn't know what else I wanted to do and because I thought it would be a good professional stepping stone. In hindsight, I'm so glad I saved my time and money and went straight into the workforce. It sounds like you might be in a similar mental place. While graduate education is great, please don't go without a plan in place that connects to your interests. As others have said, full-time work experience will make you a much more attractive candidate for a top MBA program than will an MSA. But regardless of that, it's not a wise idea to get a graduate degree in something you already know isn't your passion. You'll likely come to regret it.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi! Thanks for the reply, it is very insightful. Just to address some of your concerns, the main reason for me to pursue MSA first is according to my school adviser it is the best way to obtain the 150 credit to sit for the CPA and I believe CPA/MBA combo is pretty attractive for potential employers. Please know if you think otherwise and why. Thank you!

Another reason I wanted to start MBA asap is because since I had to take a couple years off school due to health reasons I'm already graduating later than most people. Another question is should I aim for full-time work experience in the accounting field or just finance field in general? Would a full-time work experience in accounting be frowned upon compares to a finance one? Thanks again
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
Klaudnine wrote:
Hi! Thanks for the reply, it is very insightful. Just to address some of your concerns, the main reason for me to pursue MSA first is according to my school adviser it is the best way to obtain the 150 credit to sit for the CPA and I believe CPA/MBA combo is pretty attractive for potential employers. Please know if you think otherwise and why. Thank you!

Another reason I wanted to start MBA asap is because since I had to take a couple years off school due to health reasons I'm already graduating later than most people. Another question is should I aim for full-time work experience in the accounting field or just finance field in general? Would a full-time work experience in accounting be frowned upon compares to a finance one? Thanks again

Personally, I think that getting the MSA (which would give you the hours needed to become a CPA) would definitely be worthwhile. The work that you would be doing as a CPA would almost certainly be more attractive to an MBA program than just working in a company as a (non-CPA) accountant. You could just stay as an undergrad to get the extra 30 credits, but I think that the MSA would add something of value to your resume above an extra year as an undergrad.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, thanks for all the imput guys, I have decided to work full-time while getting my MSA since my school offer night classes, it's going to be rough but I can do it lol. Then I'm going to apply for the MBA program.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Klaudnine wrote:
Hi, thanks for all the imput guys, I have decided to work full-time while getting my MSA since my school offer night classes, it's going to be rough but I can do it lol. Then I'm going to apply for the MBA program.

Klaudnine - I support what you're doing. I passed the CPA exam in 2010 (However, I've only recently applied for licensure with NYS) and know that you need 5 years of school to become an accountant. Like you said, to become a New York State CPA you need 150 credit hours, rather than the 120 hours you might normally get from a 4 year college if you were pursuing a different career/degree. This is the recommended accounting curriculum for most students and not considered "above and beyond". I may be wrong, but without that extra year you can't graduate with 150 credits and therefore you can't sit for the CPA exam so you don't even have a choice.

Likewise, I'm hoping the CPA/MBA combo looks attractive in the internship/job chase...
GMAT Club Bot