Last visit was: 05 Jun 2024, 04:45 It is currently 05 Jun 2024, 04:45
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V25
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: HEC Montreal 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink]
Crabece wrote:
Hi,
Got an invite for interview there on April 11th

Good job, Crabece!

Could you share a little more about yourself? Where are you applying from?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CarlMtl wrote:
Crabece wrote:
Hi,
Got an invite for interview there on April 11th

Good job, Crabece!

Could you share a little more about yourself? Where are you applying from?

Hey thanks Carl,

My profile:

Nationality : French w/ PR in Quebec (living here since 2007)
Grad : M.Sc in IT
GMAT: 600 - Q47 v25
Area of interest in MBA : Entrepreneurship/Finance/Marketing
Work experience : 4.5 years total in IT, including 2 years as a manager in IB (current position)
Extra-curriculars/community: Sports++, Volunteer fireman in undergrad

I'll give a feedback here after the interview!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for sharing, Crabece. Good luck with your application!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
As I said, here is a feedback from my interview:
I arrived about an hour earlier, so I took a walk around the campus/building. Thing that I haven't done so far and I really enjoyed it, the building where the MBA/Phd courses are is very nice.
The interview itself was held with 2 alumnis who did their MBA at HEC about 5 years ago and were currently managers in IB and with who I had relations in common, so I felt pretty relax discussing with them.
The questions were pretty standard: Introduce yourself, what have you done so far? Why MBA? Why HEC?
I felt pretty confident with those questions because it is the ones that I've been asking myself for several months. Thus, my answers were clear and without hesitations.

Finally, I just received my letter of admission today.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Crabece wrote:
I arrived about an hour earlier, so I took a walk around the campus/building. Thing that I haven't done so far and I really enjoyed it, the building where the MBA/Phd courses are is very nice.
The interview itself was held with 2 alumnis who did their MBA at HEC about 5 years ago and were currently managers in IB and with who I had relations in common, so I felt pretty relax discussing with them.
The questions were pretty standard: Introduce yourself, what have you done so far? Why MBA? Why HEC?
I felt pretty confident with those questions because it is the ones that I've been asking myself for several months. Thus, my answers were clear and without hesitations.

Crabece,

In your experience, how does the investment banking community in Montreal value the three MBA schools here (HEC/Concordia/McGill)? Do certain firms value the schools differently? Are there many IB offices in Mtl? I was under the impression that 90% of IB jobs in Canada were in Toronto.

Carl
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
CarlMtl wrote:
Crabece wrote:

Crabece,

In your experience, how does the investment banking community in Montreal value the three MBA schools here (HEC/Concordia/McGill)? Do certain firms value the schools differently? Are there many IB offices in Mtl? I was under the impression that 90% of IB jobs in Canada were in Toronto.

Carl

Carl,

To answer your questions:
In your experience, how does the investment banking community in Montreal value the three MBA schools here (HEC/Concordia/McGill)
- HEC and McGill are both very well known by people working in IB in Montreal as they are both very prestigious. They are clearly 2 or 3 steps ahead of Concordia in this domain.
My ranking would be something like this :
McGill 5 stars
HEC 4.5 stars
Concordia 3 stars
EDIT: I'm talking about IB here, not about University's overall ranking.
For example, Concordia has a better reputation in engineering than HEC (I don't even know if HEC has a such program) where HEC has a better reputation than Concordia in Finance.

Do certain firms value the schools differently?
- Even though, I believe that McGill has an overall reputation that is better than HEC, the difference is slim. I think that the difference is more based on the type of the company where graduates go after graduation: HEC graduates have more connections with the French speaking companies of MTL and McGill students have more connections with the English speaking companies.
On the other hand, the only people I know who were working in IB and who graduated from Concordia were no really on the Business side of the bank, but more on the technical side (IT or BA). Btw, if I only take MTL universities into account, in my current company, all the bankers/traders/Directors came from either HEC(80%) or McGill(20%).

Are there many IB offices in Mtl? I was under the impression that 90% of IB jobs in Canada were in Toronto.
Toronto is clearly 1 step ahead of MTL in the IB industry. If your plan is to go to work there, I think McGill is your best choice in MTL, however Toronto universities such as Queen's and Rotman are very well renowned there too.

Overall, I think McGill is the best university in MTL if your plan is to work in IB.
Now, does the overall difference with HEC is enough to justify the difference in terms of tuition fees (ratio of about 1 to 10 if you are Quebec resident) and the loss of salary due to the difference in the programs length: 1 vs 2 years ? That's another question and a personal choice.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Crabece wrote:
Carl,

To answer your questions:
In your experience, how does the investment banking community in Montreal value the three MBA schools here (HEC/Concordia/McGill)
- HEC and McGill are both very well known by people working in IB in Montreal as they are both very prestigious. They are clearly 2 or 3 steps ahead of Concordia in this domain.
My ranking would be something like this :
McGill 5 stars
HEC 4.5 stars
Concordia 3 stars
EDIT: I'm talking about IB here, not about University's overall ranking.
For example, Concordia has a better reputation in engineering than HEC (I don't even know if HEC has a such program) where HEC has a better reputation than Concordia in Finance.

Do certain firms value the schools differently?
- Even though, I believe that McGill has an overall reputation that is better than HEC, the difference is slim. I think that the difference is more based on the type of the company where graduates go after graduation: HEC graduates have more connections with the French speaking companies of MTL and McGill students have more connections with the English speaking companies.
On the other hand, the only people I know who were working in IB and who graduated from Concordia were no really on the Business side of the bank, but more on the technical side (IT or BA). Btw, if I only take MTL universities into account, in my current company, all the bankers/traders/Directors came from either HEC(80%) or McGill(20%).

Are there many IB offices in Mtl? I was under the impression that 90% of IB jobs in Canada were in Toronto.
Toronto is clearly 1 step ahead of MTL in the IB industry. If your plan is to go to work there, I think McGill is your best choice in MTL, however Toronto universities such as Queen's and Rotman are very well renowned there too.

Overall, I think McGill is the best university in MTL if your plan is to work in IB.
Now, does the overall difference with HEC is enough to justify the difference in terms of tuition fees (ratio of about 1 to 10 if you are Quebec resident) and the loss of salary due to the difference in the programs length: 1 vs 2 years ? That's another question and a personal choice.
Crabece,

I`m glad you say that - your ranking of the schools and your thoughts on how they`re seen in industry follows my train of thought too.

I was split between attending HEC or McGill but eventually decided on McGill. I decided McGill because:
1) I thought the two year program would lead me through a smoother and ultimately more successful transition from engineering to MC or IB or whatever other opportunity comes up.
2) As an anglo-Montrealer (though I work day to day en français)I thought my networking would be greatly improved if I attended an English institution.

That being said, it was a hard decision as I have heard nothing but good things about HEC Mtl, not to mention the cost.

May I ask what IB firm you`re at? I work as an engineer for an engineering firm called KSH specializing in Pulp & Paper.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CarlMtl wrote:
Crabece,

I`m glad you say that - your ranking of the schools and your thoughts on how they`re seen in industry follows my train of thought too.

I was split between attending HEC or McGill but eventually decided on McGill. I decided McGill because:
1) I thought the two year program would lead me through a smoother and ultimately more successful transition from engineering to MC or IB or whatever other opportunity comes up.
2) As an anglo-Montrealer (though I work day to day en français)I thought my networking would be greatly improved if I attended an English institution.

That being said, it was a hard decision as I have heard nothing but good things about HEC Mtl, not to mention the cost.

May I ask what IB firm you`re at? I work as an engineer for an engineering firm called KSH specializing in Pulp & Paper.

Hey Carl,

I think you made the right choice by chosing McGill over HEC if your plans post MBA are to work in IB. Its reputation is far beyond Montreal and you shouldn't have any problem to find a job even in Toronto or NYC after that.
For my part, I only applied to HEC Montreal because post-MBA I want to create my own company, so I chose to do an MBA more for the skillset it brings than the contacts or the prestige.
Also, behind the cost of the program - which I'll finance by myself -, its length was decisive: Where the 2 years programs of Concordia or Mcgill include internships or international exchange which I already have, I prefer it to be the as intensive as possible so I can go back on the market ASAP and with some cash remaining - or at least with no debt.
That's why, with my criteria, HEC Montreal was the only one which fits and it's the only school I applied to.

I work for Société Générale Corporate & Investment banking (or sgcib).

Originally posted by Crabece on 04 May 2013, 19:47.
Last edited by Crabece on 04 May 2013, 19:53, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Btw, you can check my Linkedin profile if you want to stay in touch

Originally posted by Crabece on 04 May 2013, 19:48.
Last edited by Crabece on 30 Sep 2013, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

My name is Nizam, and I am MBA applicant for HEC Montreal.

I have couple of queries regarding HEC. Kindly answer,

1. What is the average GMAT score for International students at HEC Montreal??
2. How do u rate Placements for Non French speaking students at HEC Montreal??

Thanks, In anticipation of your reply.

Regards,
Nizam
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73490 [0]
Given Kudos: 19065
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived 'Calling All HEC Montreal Applicants' Topic
Hi there,
You've reached an old 'Calling All HEC Montreal Applicants' discussion which is now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for the latest discussion? Check out this up-to-date Calling All HEC Montreal Applicants Discussion for the most recent conversations on this topic.
Interested in more from this school? Visit our dedicated HEC Montreal Forum to dive into all things related to HEC Montreal's MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6954 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts