Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 23:09 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 2013 LBS MiF Applicants welcome! [#permalink]
henryrearden wrote:
nottingham wrote:
To HR: I think you are a bit too sensitive about the reply from this client service officer. Firstly, I dont think this 'client service officer' would access to your specific profile and give this deadline specifically to you based on your application; Secondly, I believe there will be still a lot of candidates who will get the invitation by 31/May as it is the publicized final interview invitation decision date.

So let's just be patient and finger crossed waiting for our invites. And I really hope we could be classmates in the near future:)

And thanks, Ibkova, for the information about the internship, and I do believe the exchange to some top Asian institutions would be good for the future job landing in these regions, especially for me who's from China:)

Agreed. It's simply that for professional, financial, and visa considerations I probably won't be able to wait until July to have a final answer (if I'm admitted). The reason why I thought that the client service officer might have looked at my profile is because my exchange came from an initial email from them congratulating me on my GMAT (I'm assuming they send that to everyone).

Indeed, would be great to be classmates in August!

Oh well, let's wait and see.

Cheers,

HR

Finally received notification that I had been shortlisted for an interview with an alumni. Oddly enough, yesterday I wrongfully got an email telling me that they were pleased that I had started my application and that there was still time to apply for the 2013 intake (!)... to which I replied that I already received an email confirming that my application was complete. Perhaps this accelerated my interview decision.

Cheers, HR
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I'm an American who was accepted to LBS MIF. Although I really like the academic curriculum, I will be turning it down due to the weak career placement and recruiting. When I logged into the admit portal, I was able to see the list of firms that recruit on-camps and was very disappointed at the breadth of firms that came to campus. Furthermore, MIF and MBA students compete for the same jobs; there is no separate recruiting process for MIF. There is thus no structural advantage for MIF when they recruit for finance jobs. At a macro level, of course, the London finance job market is atrocious. And finally, for an American who may want to return to the states after LBS MIF, the degree has very little value here due to its weak name brand and scarcity of alums. For these reasons, I won't be attending.

Best of luck to everyone who will matriculate at LBS MIF.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
LastChanceMBA wrote:
I'm an American who was accepted to LBS MIF. Although I really like the academic curriculum, I will be turning it down due to the weak career placement and recruiting. When I logged into the admit portal, I was able to see the list of firms that recruit on-camps and was very disappointed at the breadth of firms that came to campus. Furthermore, MIF and MBA students compete for the same jobs; there is no separate recruiting process for MIF. There is thus no structural advantage for MIF when they recruit for finance jobs. At a macro level, of course, the London finance job market is atrocious. And finally, for an American who may want to return to the states after LBS MIF, the degree has very little value here due to its weak name brand and scarcity of alums. For these reasons, I won't be attending.

Congratulations on your MiF offer! I think LBS MiF is a great program with no doubt. Obviously, it's the MiF specilization that determines the much narrower breadth of recruiters, which I think are only finance companies without too much presence of corporates or consulting firms, comparing to MBA recruiters. However, I know some MiF graduates beat MBA in some finance leadership program within some top typical MBA recruiting corporates, eg. GSK. I think LBS MiF would definitely can help you knock out the door and make you stand on the same level to compete with MBA, and whether or not you can get the offer ultimately depends on your own quality. I dont know too much about the LBS brand in US, but I do believe most bankers from bulge brackets have heard about LBS including the US market. I suggest you to do more concrete research on the US finance market, eg. talking to more US bankers (not only one or two) or LBS career service officers, etc.
I hope you could think again and do more research before rushing into turning down the offer. And I believe you got your reason for applying for LBS MiF initially, so why dont you reflect whether that reason still counts?
To HR: Really glad we both got the invitations for interview!Maby we can help each other on the interview practice! If you do, please drop me a line and I'll add you on skype:)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Is there anyone who hasn't received interview invite till now? I applied in R5, haven't got any reply yet..starting to get worried now. Do they send reject emails as well?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
LastChanceMBA wrote:

Hi LastChanceMBA,

Thanks for sharing your thought process. Would you mind sharing with us a bit more info on your background so that we can put your answer in perspective. I get your point that as American LBS might make less sense. I'm Canadian so I have the same concern - although there are some great alumni who did the program in my country (CEO of a PE shop, VP M&A of a $2.5 bln publicly-listed company, director at a hedge fund, etc.).

Given new UKBA rules from 2012 I don't expect to be working in London after a MiF at LBS and even though I will ask for support from the career centre I expect to have a lot of work to do on my own to get what I want in Canada. The upside with LBS is that the brand will likely get good attention when I knock on doors.

Can you also share a bit more about what you saw in the admit portal? If not the MiF @ LBS, we'd be interested in knowing which program you selected.

Thanks, HR
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nottingham wrote:
LastChanceMBA wrote:

Congratulations on your MiF offer! I think LBS MiF is a great program with no doubt. Obviously, it's the MiF specilization that determines the much narrower breadth of recruiters, which I think are only finance companies without too much presence of corporates or consulting firms, comparing to MBA recruiters. However, I know some MiF graduates beat MBA in some finance leadership program within some top typical MBA recruiting corporates, eg. GSK. I think LBS MiF would definitely can help you knock out the door and make you stand on the same level to compete with MBA, and whether or not you can get the offer ultimately depends on your own quality. I dont know too much about the LBS brand in US, but I do believe most bankers from bulge brackets have heard about LBS including the US market. I suggest you to do more concrete research on the US finance market, eg. talking to more US bankers (not only one or two) or LBS career service officers, etc.
I hope you could think again and do more research before rushing into turning down the offer. And I believe you got your reason for applying for LBS MiF initially, so why dont you reflect whether that reason still counts?
To HR: Really glad we both got the invitations for interview!Maby we can help each other on the interview practice! If you do, please drop me a line and I'll add you on skype:)

I have actually done extensive research on this, despite your claim to the contrary. After being admitted, I was able to log into the portal and see the list of firms that recruit for both internship and full-time, see profiles of other admits, student database, etc. I also reached out to multiple current students and alums as well as Eugenia and Peter Johnson from the admissions office and Peter (forgot his last name) from career services who's in charge of buyside recruiting. The alums themselves told me in no uncertain terms that career placement is tough and that if one is interested in working in the U.S. it is not the right program. As for the list of firms that recruit, it's actually pretty weak compared to top U.S. MBA programs, and I arrived at the conclusion that it's not worth the huge monetary cost.

I'm thus going to stay in my current job and apply to top U.S. MBA programs, which will give me access to more top firms, better name brand and prestige, and a much higher caliber of students.

Best of luck to everyone.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
henryrearden wrote:
LastChanceMBA wrote:

Hi LastChanceMBA,

Thanks for sharing your thought process. Would you mind sharing with us a bit more info on your background so that we can put your answer in perspective. I get your point that as American LBS might make less sense. I'm Canadian so I have the same concern - although there are some great alumni who did the program in my country (CEO of a PE shop, VP M&A of a $2.5 bln publicly-listed company, director at a hedge fund, etc.).

Given new UKBA rules from 2012 I don't expect to be working in London after a MiF at LBS and even though I will ask for support from the career centre I expect to have a lot of work to do on my own to get what I want in Canada. The upside with LBS is that the brand will likely get good attention when I knock on doors.

Can you also share a bit more about what you saw in the admit portal? If not the MiF @ LBS, we'd be interested in knowing which program you selected.

Thanks, HR

Sure. So my background without getting overly specific is ivy league undergrad, masters at another top U.S. school, trading experience, and work in several startups. My "ideal" job is macro investment research/strategy at a major buyside firm such as pimco, wellington, fidelity, aqr, etc. I'm open to bulge bracket trading in fixed income or currency but prefer to stay away from trading. I'm also looking at certain aspects of consulting as well. In terms of location, I'm reasonably flexible: nyc, London, hong kong, will all do the trick. However, the problem with LBS is that if I want to return to the U.S. there is very little campus recruiting support, and I will be forced to do everything on my own. I don't have a problem working hard, but I expect to get strong recruiting given the price tag and commitment. My alumni interviewer recently graduated from LBS MIF, and she came back to the U.S. after scrambling hard just to get interviews. Basically the program itself provided very little help. And even for London finance jobs, LBS students (both mba and mif) get their butts kicked by top U.S. MBA students from the likes of Harvard/Wharton/booth/Columbia.

As for the admit portal, I was able to see the profiles of the other MIF admits and was very disappointed by the caliber of admits. Almost all of them went to no-name colleges, worked in seemingly back or middle-office roles, and just did not stand out. I want to be at a school where I will be blown away by my classmates, learn from them, and have a transformational experience. I just don't think I will get that at LBS. Thus, I will be applying to top U.S. MBA programs this upcoming year.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to shoot me a PM since I don't want to hijack this thread.

https://lastchancemba.blogspot.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
LastChanceMBA wrote:
henryrearden wrote:
LastChanceMBA wrote:

Hi LastChanceMBA,

Thanks, HR

Sure. So my background without getting overly specific is ivy league undergrad, masters at another top U.S. school, trading experience, and work in several startups. My "ideal" job is macro investment research/strategy at a major buyside firm such as pimco, wellington, fidelity, aqr, etc. I'm open to bulge bracket trading in fixed income or currency but prefer to stay away from trading. I'm also looking at certain aspects of consulting as well. In terms of location, I'm reasonably flexible: nyc, London, hong kong, will all do the trick. However, the problem with LBS is that if I want to return to the U.S. there is very little campus recruiting support, and I will be forced to do everything on my own. I don't have a problem working hard, but I expect to get strong recruiting given the price tag and commitment. My alumni interviewer recently graduated from LBS MIF, and she came back to the U.S. after scrambling hard just to get interviews. Basically the program itself provided very little help. And even for London finance jobs, LBS students (both mba and mif) get their butts kicked by top U.S. MBA students from the likes of Harvard/Wharton/booth/Columbia.

As for the admit portal, I was able to see the profiles of the other MIF admits and was very disappointed by the caliber of admits. Almost all of them went to no-name colleges, worked in seemingly back or middle-office roles, and just did not stand out. I want to be at a school where I will be blown away by my classmates, learn from them, and have a transformational experience. I just don't think I will get that at LBS. Thus, I will be applying to top U.S. MBA programs this upcoming year.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to shoot me a PM since I don't want to hijack this thread.

Thanks, good comments, I'll PM you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I officially turned down the LBS MIF offer today. Hopefully this will free up a spot for waitlisted applicants and round 5 applicants.

Best of luck to everybody!

Intern
Intern
Send PM
@Last Chance MBA - Didn't they defer it?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
apex123 wrote:
@Last Chance MBA - Didn't they defer it?

They did give me a deferral, but I would also need to pay down a deposit of close to $5000 ($1800 by june 4th and another $3000 by November) to secure my spot. And after deciding that I don't want to go, there's no way I'm gonna pay that amount. So I turned it down and told admissions to give my spot to a waitlisted applicant who actually wants to attend.

Adcom asked me to complete a survey detailing the reasons why I turned them down, which was quite awkward. I was honest though in my assessment. My top 3 reasons in descending order of importance were career placement, caliber of the student body, and prestige/name brand.

Originally posted by LastChanceMBA on 28 May 2013, 13:59.
Last edited by LastChanceMBA on 30 May 2013, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
After completion of interview do we receive any email which mentions whether LBS has received the interview report. I had my interview on 22-05-2013, but there has been no further correspondence since then. How long does it take before the final results?

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
lapras wrote:
After completion of interview do we receive any email which mentions whether LBS has received the interview report. I had my interview on 22-05-2013, but there has been no further correspondence since then. How long does it take before the final results?

Regards

Hello,

Actually, it was my interviewer who sent me an email that she had sent the interview report to LBS. I received my decision roughly 3 weeks after the interview. So you should wait 2 more weeks I guess.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
lapras wrote:

Regards

The LBS MIF admissions committee meets once a week, so usually you should hear back about 2 weeks after the interview report submission. If accepted, you will most likely get a phone call from Eugenia first, and the acceptance e-mail will come a day later.

Best of luck!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
@ Laszlo and LastChanceMBA - thanks for the info. So I believe I should hear something by next week. All the best to the others who are waiting.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
GPA: 4
Send PM
@LastChanceMBA

I’ve just been catching up on this forum – it sounds like, for your career interests, the MiF would have been a great programme for you, so I’m sorry that you decided to turn it down. Having looked through you blog though, it does look like you have your heart set on a U.S. MBA – you mention not being as excited by the MiF, so it seems there’s a bit of an emotional aspiration involved here, rather than a purely practical career decision to be made.

I just wanted to clarify a few points for the general readership of the forum, as I think your criticism of the programme is a bit exaggerated.

Of course MiF and MBA students will compete for the same jobs – as will any other MBAs from other schools. You mention “no structural advantage for MIF when they recruit for finance jobs” – I disagree. MiF students are much more specialised in their area of choice and finance in general. I have spoken to many MiF students and alumni who have all said there is a marked contrast between the average MBA and MiF student in elective classes – the MiFs are specialising so you can expect them to know their stuff in greater detail (on average). And employers realise this, particularly those used to recruiting from LBS.

The London job market is not exactly booming, sure, but there are still plenty of opportunities out there and I think the employment reports reflect that. There are also plenty of opportunities abroad that you can tap into with the LBS brand behind you. To say that the degree “has little value” in the U.S. is a bit over-the-top – LBS is one of the top 5 business schools in the world! But, yes, finding a role there would rely on you doing a bit of work yourself to market yourself as an MBA equivalent.

The calibre of students on the MiF is very strong so you are lucky to have been accepted, and a place on the programme comes with access to the entire LBS alumni network (MBA as well as MiF); as well as the opportunity to join another top business school network, if you take advantage of the 4th term exchange programme.

Having said all that, I understand that, if your aims are for the U.S., the alumni presence probably won’t be quite as strong there. I have a very similar profile and career objectives to yourself, and I imagine that if I was in the U.S. I may have seen a U.S. MBA as a potential alternative. But, for me, the MiF is a no-brainer over MBA for someone looking to bolster their technical skills and specialist knowledge in finance; in one year; without dedicating time and money to some of the more generalist topics covered by an MBA.

Good luck with your applications. I hope you get onto a top U.S. programme and don’t end up regretting your decision to turn down LBS!

Also agree it’s not a great idea to hijack this thread, so feel free to PM me if you want to discuss further.

Cheers, Jezz
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JezzC, first of all, congrats on your LBS MIF acceptance, and I wish you the best of luck there. I also want to thank you for your thoughtful response and for reading my blog!

I actually want to address the points you made in this forum because I think they're quite relevant to current and future applicants alike. I respectfully disagree with several of the points you made.

First, with all due respect, LBS is not a top 5 global business school. It is behind the M7 U.S. programs and probably on par with the likes of Berkeley and stern.

Second, you are correct that the MIF program is more specialized than an MBA, thus giving its students a deeper knowledge of finance. But my primary concern is job placement-the type of jobs students are getting as well as median compensation. And on this count, LBS MIF has been lackluster. According to the 2012 employment report, 81% were placed within 3 months of graduation, which by itself is ok (lower than top mba programs though). This statistics though is inflated by the high number of internationals, especially from Asia, who are being sponsored by their home countries' central banks and governments.

As for the median compensation, even for U.K., the median base is only around $100K USD, and for Asia that figure is $65K USD. In terms of companies, the employment report does state which firms hired a MIF student, but it does not go into any detail on what type of function/role. Were they all front-office banking/trading/research? Or were there middle-office hires as well? Finally, I asked Peter Burnham from career services about the placement of MIF students into firms that I was personally interested in. Much to my shock, the placement was VERY poor, significantly worse than a top U.S. MBA program. And this is a field that is competitive to begin with. I also took a look at the spreadsheet of all the companies that recruit on-campus (available in the admit portal). The list of financial firms that visit was unimpressive; as a matter of fact, there were more executive search/recruitment firms on that spreadsheet than financial firms! I was both stunned and sad since I expected more out of LBS MIF when I applied to the program.

Third, I have talked to multiple LBS MIF students and alums who are now working in the U.S., and they all said unequivocally that LBS carries little weight in the states. LBS career services provided virtually no help in getting a job in the U.S., and once they got to the states, the LBS name brand and network didn't help them much at all. This may not be that problematic for someone who is sure they will work in Europe afterwards, but for me, it's a huge liability.

Fourth, although the LBS MIF curriculum is specialized, it is not a technical masters degree like Princeton finance, Berkeley financial engineering, nyu mathematics of finance, Carnegie mellon computational finance, etc. Thus, the LBS MIF students are competing for the type of finance jobs that MBAs are pursuing, and in an already tough job market, this would put an extra burden on me. Contrast this to a top U.S. mba program such as Harvard, Wharton, booth, mit, Columbia, where my friends are easily getting interviews at elite buyside firms and trading desks at bulge bracket banks, as well as strategy consulting and pretty much everything else you can think of.

Finally, as I wrote in one of my blog posts, I am looking for a truly transformational experience. This goes well beyond classroom learning or getting a job. Although there are certainly smart students in the LBS MIF program, after talking to students and alums and conducting my own research, I arrived at the conclusion that LBS will simply not provide me with the type of experience I so long for. My decision was both professional and personal; I would certainly be lying if I said that there was no emotional component whatsoever. When I got the acceptance phone call, for instance, I unfortunately did not feel happiness or joy. It was as if nothing had changed, and I went back to my daily routine. I know for a fact that if I had gotten into a top U.S. MBA program, I would have experienced ecstasy and would be eagerly counting the days until school starts. Given my age, and the financial and time commitment of going back to school, I want to be at a place where I will be happy, fulfilled, constantly learning, and undergoing a deep transformation. I therefore am very confident about my decisions to turn down LBS MIF.

Once again, best of luck to you and everyone else. Feel free to shoot me a pm whenever.

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts