Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 03:57 It is currently 02 May 2024, 03:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Booth vs. McCombs [#permalink]
Thank you both for your input! So even though I would get hands on experience at McCombs in their incubator with Accenture partners on what it takes to start a company, Booth is still the better ROI?

When it comes down to it, tuition, location, ranking...those all seem to hit both sides of the scale. This opportunity with TVL is the only unique point.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Noon1786 wrote:
Thank you both for your input! So even though I would get hands on experience at McCombs in their incubator with Accenture partners on what it takes to start a company, Booth is still the better ROI?

When it comes down to it, tuition, location, ranking...those all seem to hit both sides of the scale. This opportunity with TVL is the only unique point.

Thanks!

If that’s your decision point I’d take a close look at Booth’s entrepreneurship offerings – there are a lot of hands on opportunities with the Polsky Center and in programs like the New Venture Challenge (when I visited I stayed with a friend of a friend who started a company with a fellow Boothie while at school, went through the New Venture Challenge, and will be moving to NYC to work on the startup full time after graduation). Booth has a close relationship with Hyde Park Angels and local VC firms in Chicago, and I was impressed by the Booth alumni presence in both SF and NYC.

I ended up choosing Haas over Booth, but it was a harder choice than I’d expected. I want to do tech/entrepreneurship/VC, and Haas offered me money, but I was so impressed with Booth’s entrepreneurship opportunities that I could really see myself getting a great tech experience there.

My advice is to go to Booth.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mrbucket wrote:
Noon1786 wrote:

Thanks!

If that’s your decision point I’d take a close look at Booth’s entrepreneurship offerings – there are a lot of hands on opportunities with the Polsky Center and in programs like the New Venture Challenge (when I visited I stayed with a friend of a friend who started a company with a fellow Boothie while at school, went through the New Venture Challenge, and will be moving to NYC to work on the startup full time after graduation). Booth has a close relationship with Hyde Park Angels and local VC firms in Chicago, and I was impressed by the Booth alumni presence in both SF and NYC.

I ended up choosing Haas over Booth, but it was a harder choice than I’d expected. I want to do tech/entrepreneurship/VC, and Haas offered me money, but I was so impressed with Booth’s entrepreneurship opportunities that I could really see myself getting a great tech experience there.

My advice is to go to Booth.

we're also talking a high caliber peer group at booth - more potential investors, partners, entrepreneurs. TVL is great but Booth will have comparable offerings if you seek them out. And if you want exposure to Accenture partners, I think you'll have no problem getting it at Booth. They recognize Booth as one of four of their favorite schools to recruit from https://www.businessinsider.com/what-rec ... nsulting-2 So I suspect you can connect and talk about businesses.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I take it you received McCombs recruiting scholarship plus an instate exemption? I had something similar, and netting it out the difference in cost was ballpark 85-100K over two years (50K for two years vs 120K, plus cost of living, travel etc.). Make sure you're running through all the numbers.

I ended up choosing CBS over McCombs, but it was a tough decision given that I'm locationally indifferent (outside of Houston... just don't want to think about living there) and that I come out of the energy sector with a leaning towards high tech. one thing to consider - most people here aren't aware of what the Venture Lab is; an internship at a VC company while in school is a unique and fantastic opportunity if you're looking to get into VC (it likely for me would have been an easier path than CBS simply due the experience of my classmates), though that doesn't seem to be your goal. Further it appears everyone coming out of that program has a leg up in a range of different businesses.

I assume you've visited both? reached out to students in relevant organization? If the fit is the same for you, and you aren't cash strapped or looking to get into a line of work which requires a lower salary, Booth likely is the better fit (much stronger national brand, neither are power-houses in marketing but booth is definitely an all-around strong mba, etc.). If the fit is better at McCombs, you're looking for more flexibility post-mba in terms of career choice, a slightly less strenuous mba process and can deal with a few years in Texas or California before moving East, then head to McCombs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
DCTech brings up good points. If you’re looking for more of a VC focus at school, I’ll point out that Booth does have an experiential learning program with Hyde Park Angels where students participate in a VC internship during school for academic credit. The program is very selective, but it’s there and is a great opportunity if you can get in. During admit weekend I met a couple students that were able to do take advantage of the flexible curriculum to nab internships at Chicago area VC and PE firms during the school year and cram classes into a couple days a week. Not for everyone, but it’s an option at Booth.

I’m a big believer in fit, so that’s only something you can identify (and is one reason why I chose Haas over Booth). But I really loved Booth and think it’s worth the extra money for what you’re looking for.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Noon1786 wrote:
I am definitely hoping to get some insight from those who are either going through a similar situation or have already attended a full time MBA program! I am currently struggling between the decision to attend either Booth or McCombs. Booth didn't give me any type of scholarship, and McCombs gave me a really good one. In fact, the cost difference is about $40k in tuition alone! For my short term plan, I intend on heading back into the corporate world after studying marketing at either school (Brand Management at McCombs and Strategy at Booth). For the long term though, I ideally want branch off and start my own business after learning a few years from the corporate world, but that of course remains TBD.

Here are my thoughts so far and would love to get your input.

BOOTH:

Pros:
- Top 10 school
- Larger classes / larger alumni network
- Most people end up in the MidWest, Northeast, and West Coast, where I ideally want to be
- I have family nearby

Cons:
- Cost
- I've only ever lived in the MidWest and was hoping to branch out for a few years
- I don't have any interest in the financial area where Booth has a huge focus in that sector
- I generally thrive better in a smaller class environment

MCCOMBS:

Pros:
- Outside of the MidWest
- Scholarship given PLUS I am automatically accepted in to the Texas Venture Labs program where I can get hands on entrepreneurship experience and a direct working relationship with Accenture partners.
- Smaller class sizes and therefore more personalized student/professor interaction

Cons:
- Ranked 17th
- Not a "top tier" school
- Let's be honest...it's really hot there. :)
- Most people after graduation stay in the Southwest - not where I want to end up.

Thanks for your input!

to clarify, is it 40k total tuition difference or 40k/yr = 80k
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts