Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 15:41 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.44
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.76
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: INSEAD -January 2014 Intake - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
I am always surprised by the % in consulting.

Originally posted by docks007 on 01 Jul 2013, 06:57.
Last edited by docks007 on 05 Jul 2013, 07:46, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
docks007 wrote:
I am always surprised by the % in consulting. Doesn't looks like its by choice. Those who don't get into IB go to consulting. And may be those who don't get good corporate also go to consulting.

The people who get sponsor by the consulting employer is very high. So, it skewed the percentage. INSEAD, like Harvard, is a general management program. It is expected that most people going into consulting after a general management program. I choose IB, but if it can't get in, I will do coporate in Oil & Gas or Power Utilities
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V36
GPA: 4
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Sherman88 wrote:
My Gmat is 680, slightly lower than most of you :(

don't worry, man
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ducceus wrote:
docks007 wrote:
I am always surprised by the % in consulting. Doesn't looks like its by choice. Those who don't get into IB go to consulting. And may be those who don't get good corporate also go to consulting.

The people who get sponsor by the consulting employer is very high. So, it skewed the percentage. INSEAD, like Harvard, is a general management program. It is expected that most people going into consulting after a general management program. I choose IB, but if it can't get in, I will do coporate in Oil & Gas or Power Utilities

But even if we discount for sponsored students consulting would still have a big share. Top mc companies hire more new people from INSEAD then returning sponsored employees.

Employers of 2012 INSEAD MBA graduates
McKinsey & Company 108 (51)
The Boston Consulting Group 60 (24)
Bain & Company 52(16)

Numbers in brackets are former employees returning to
the organization after graduation
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
WE:Other (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi Guys,

Congratulations to all R1 admits. Have been living your INSEAD journey through this forum secretly ;) (and what a journey it has been!)
R2 applicant from India (and for a change I am not an NRI :)) working with an IB in a corporate strategy role. All the best to all fellow R2ers. Hoping for the best....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Do you know the attrition rate for these consultants in 3 yrs after joining ?

cyberhawk wrote:
ducceus wrote:
docks007 wrote:

But even if we discount for sponsored students consulting would still have a big share. Top mc companies hire more new people from INSEAD then returning sponsored employees.

Bain & Company 52(16)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Quote:

Bain & Company 52(16)

Dude, that is 9% of the class for Mckinsey alone. At Ross, they are fighting each other for 19 Mckinsey job. Here: look https://www.bus.umich.edu/Admissions/MBA ... pl_rep.pdf
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ducceus wrote:
Quote:

Bain & Company 52(16)

Dude, that is 9% of the class for Mckinsey alone. At Ross, they are fighting each other for 19 Mckinsey job. Here: look https://www.bus.umich.edu/Admissions/MBA ... pl_rep.pdf

That's probably because 19 are mostly jobs in North America. In INSEAD, 57 are for the rest of the world.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Any interview calls yet?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
satishcoolin wrote:
@ pratiklohia - I am Subbu btw :), Kerala is my native and i am currently based out of Kuwait. How about u mate?

surprisingly few Indians in the fb group:):)..there r a few NRI's
[/quote][/quote]

Satish.. where r u from?[/quote][/quote]

Subbu.. m from Mumbai
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sherman88 wrote:
Any interview calls yet?

Going by previous year, they seem like shud start y Thursday this week or maybe Tuesday next week
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Trying to seek an opinion purely out of curiosity, and perhaps also in the interest of those who, like me, may not come from an IB / consulting background:

How do you guys think INSEAD views entrepreneurs who have started and exited from a business in the food and bev space. I have heard several contrasting opinions based on my background, GMAT 690, etc. My profile/goal is vastly different from most of those discussed here and I am curious to know how that will reflect.

Brief background: I am a 27 y/o Indian male, mech engineer for American university, left engineering job at Fortune 100 in US to move to India (home) and start a restaurant. Total WE: 5 yrs. Career goal: entrepreneur / VC in F&B.

Thanks in advance for your views.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
If you have had a good business and you are rich then you have a high chance I think :P

vjhaveri wrote:
Trying to seek an opinion purely out of curiosity, and perhaps also in the interest of those who, like me, may not come from an IB / consulting background:

How do you guys think INSEAD views entrepreneurs who have started and exited from a business in the food and bev space. I have heard several contrasting opinions based on my background, GMAT 690, etc. My profile/goal is vastly different from most of those discussed here and I am curious to know how that will reflect.

Brief background: I am a 27 y/o Indian male, mech engineer for American university, left engineering job at Fortune 100 in US to move to India (home) and start a restaurant. Total WE: 5 yrs. Career goal: entrepreneur / VC in F&B.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
vjhaveri wrote:

Hey buddy. I have a profile similar to yours. Mumbai Univ Engg. Grad. Left IT job and started my own biz in international trade in fresh produce(and am still doing it). I think there have been people in the past with restaurant businesses who have been admitted to INSEAD(based on profiles I came across when researching). And from what I have read of adcomm interviews(posted some links previously on this forum) they do encourage entrepreneurs. However, a lot depends on how you have portrayed your career goals in your essays, and how does it link well with your story so far. Are you looking at getting back to being on your own post INSEAD or planning a career change!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '16
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 2.9
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Indian Male 28 y (iit kgp) , 6 yrs w/e in Singapore , (1 yr bloomberg, 5 years day trading in a small prop shop), 700 gmat (90 and 69 percentile in quant and verbal resp)

Applied in 2nd round for Jan 14

Anybody received any interview calls yet? getting nervous :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
pratiklohia wrote:
vjhaveri wrote:

Hey buddy. I have a profile similar to yours. Mumbai Univ Engg. Grad. Left IT job and started my own biz in international trade in fresh produce(and am still doing it). I think there have been people in the past with restaurant businesses who have been admitted to INSEAD(based on profiles I came across when researching). And from what I have read of adcomm interviews(posted some links previously on this forum) they do encourage entrepreneurs. However, a lot depends on how you have portrayed your career goals in your essays, and how does it link well with your story so far. Are you looking at getting back to being on your own post INSEAD or planning a career change!

Thanks Pratik, essays have been submitted and beyond our control now, lets hope for the best.

I am from Mumbai as well. Interesting to know your work relates to the food industry as well. Inbox me your contact details if you would like to connect.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Any non-Indians in round 2 ? :twisted:

gooddn wrote:
Indian Male 28 y (iit kgp) , 6 yrs w/e in Singapore , (1 yr bloomberg, 5 years day trading in a small prop shop), 700 gmat (90 and 69 percentile in quant and verbal resp)

Applied in 2nd round for Jan 14

Anybody received any interview calls yet? getting nervous :D
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  75   76   77   78   79  ...  134   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts