Last visit was: 06 Jun 2024, 18:24 It is currently 06 Jun 2024, 18:24
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4332 [9]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 797 [2]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Although he rejected the prevailing Neo-Romanticism of the late fortie [#permalink]
Phoenix22 wrote:
For Q:1

I am really confused between A & B.
OA is B but I don't see why this should be the correct ans.

A. show how Larkin dismissed critics of his work by pointing out their personal failings.
B. show how Larkin mocked his critics for implying that everyday experience must be trivial.

Why A.
When he said "I‘d like to know what dragon-infested world these lads live in to make them so free with the word ‗commonplace‘. isn't he pointed to his critic's failings by saying that they are staying in "dragon-infested world".

Why B seems incorrect:
I don't think he is implying that everyday experience must be trivial by saying "I‘d like to know what dragon-infested world these lads live in to make them so free with the word commonplace"

Please let me know if I am missing anything here...

The critiques critiqued his poetry's nature of being about commonplace scenarios, but he counters them by saying that such commonplace experiences aren't actually trivial and he is definitely mocking them by his remarks.

The source of this RC is Aristotle RC 99 guide.

The OE is mentioned below.

Go back to ¶2 to review the lines in context. Larkin said this when responding to
critics who said that his work was too ―commonplace.‖ What must Larkin have
believed? Not necessarily that his work wasn’t commonplace, but that being so
wasn‘t such a bad thing. (B) paraphrases this response.
(A): Out of Scope. Larkin never mentions any personal failings in the response.
He‘s concerned with showing that the ordinary isn‘t such a bad thing.
(B): The correct answer
(C): Distortion. Though Larkin‘s critics might have considered his poems
commonplace, that doesn‘t mean that they thought their own lives were
glamorous, or that they were attacking his poetry to make themselves look
better.
(D): Opposite. Larkin took pride in writing about common things; he disputed
critics‘ assessment of their importance, not of their commonness.
(E): ‗Saddened‘ is the wrong verb as described above
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2257 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: Although he rejected the prevailing Neo-Romanticism of the late fortie [#permalink]

Topic and Scope:

discusses Philip Larkin‘s style of poetry and critics‘ reaction.

Mapping the Passage

¶1 introduces Philip Larkin by explaining his artistic tastes.
¶2 describes Larkin‘s response to critics and gives Larkin‘s artistic view: art should be
simple and easily accessible.
¶3 analyses Larkin‘s poetry and mentions some critical reaction.
¶4 mentions a perception of Larkin as antisocial and provides the author‘s own
positive view of Larkin‘s poetry.
¶5 gives some background on the career of Larkin.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2257 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM

Answers and Explanations OE

1)

Go back to ¶2 to review the lines in context. Larkin said this when responding to critics who said that his work was too ―commonplace.‖ What must Larkin have believed? Not necessarily that his work wasn’t commonplace, but that being so wasn‘t such a bad thing. (B) paraphrases this response.
(A): Out of Scope. Larkin never mentions any personal failings in the response. He‘s concerned with showing that the ordinary isn‘t such a bad thing.
(C): Distortion. Though Larkin‘s critics might have considered his poems commonplace, that doesn‘t mean that they thought their own lives were glamorous, or that they were attacking his poetry to make themselves look better.
(D): Opposite. Larkin took pride in writing about common things; he disputed critics‘ assessment of their importance, not of their commonness.
(E): ‗Saddened‘ is the wrong verb as described above.

2)

A main idea question. Predict the right answer based on purpose, scope, and topic. A vertical scan is helpful in this case too: ―describe‖ most closely matches what the author does. A check of the answer choice shows that it holds up. The author is concerned with describing Larkin‘s verse particularly in the context of the subjects he uses.
(A): Faulty Use of Detail. Though the author does mention Larkin‘s views on poetry, and shows how they tied in with what he wrote about, the purpose of the topic is broader than just to show this relation.
(C): Out of Scope. This doesn‘t include Larkin specifically, a necessary element.
(D): Out of Scope. As above, this summary skims over Larkin, with whom the passage is mainly concerned.
(E): The author absolutely does not ‗criticise‘ Larkin

3)

Review the quote at the end of ¶3. The critic is referring to a specific poem of Larkin‘s. The lines above suggest that the critic is responding to the commonplace elements in the poem. Since the response is only half-admiring, the critic is complimenting the poem while at the same time noting its subject matter. The only RN that fits with these various purposes is RN II. RN I distorts the critics‘ view, and neglects the good half of the ―half-admiringly.‖ RN III is off the scope: While Larkin‘s own views and his poetry were intertwined, there‘s no evidence that the critics were focusing on some element of Larkin‘s views that wasn‘t in his poetry.
(A): Opposite. As described above.
(B): Opposite. As above.
(C): Opposite. As above.
(D): The correct answer
(E): Opposite. As above.

4)

What would Larkin be least likely to write a poem about? Predict: something not commonplace. Only one of the choices fits this: (A) represents something that is intangible and lofty, definitely not commonplace.
(A): The correct answer
(B): Opposite. Very commonplace.
(C): Opposite. While the choice tries to trick you with the academic angle, death in war would still seem ―real‖ enough for Larkin‘s tastes.
(D): Opposite. Another commonplace subject.
(E): Opposite. Same as above, very commonplace.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Option B doesn't imply that the Larkin mocked his critics because they said that his work as common(simple)
Option B means that Larking criticized the critics because they wanted to tell Larkin that everyday experience must be trivial

If that is the case, option B is definitely wrong and

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hello All,

Could somebody please explain the answer to question 3?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 854 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6957 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14032 posts