Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 15:54 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30812 [77]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [2]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30812 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1216 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: Various Functions of Verb-ing Words [#permalink]
Verb-ing cannot act as verbs. It requires a helping verb. <-- That is a beautiful insight. I think this is a very common mistake done by non-native speakers.

I would like to ask you what is the function of "verb-ing" in such cases? (example below)

In the late 1880s, the journalist Jacob Riis visited tenement dwellings in several impoverished New York City neighbourhoods to investigate housing conditions and photograph immigrant tenant's apartments, whose interiors were inhumanely overcrowded, their floors often serving as beds, and their walls often windowless and dilapidated with age and neglect.
(A) whose interiors were inhumanely overcrowded, their floors often serving as beds, and their walls often windowless and dilapidated with age and neglect
(B) whose interiors were inhumanely overcrowded, their floors were often serving as beds, and their walls were often lacking windows and dilapidated due to age and neglect
(C) whose interiors were inhumanely overcrowded, their floors were often serving as beds, and they had walls often windowless and dilapidated with age and neglect
(D) having interiors inhumanely overcrowded, their floors often serving for beds, and their walls were often windowless and dilapidated due to age and neglect
(E) having interiors that were inhumanely overcrowded, their floors often serving as beds, and their walls often lacked windows and were dilapidated on account of age and neglect

A is the official answer. I would like to understand what is the function of " verb-ing" in "their floors often serving as beds" in the answer option A?

Is there any change in the meaning between "their floors often serving as beds" and "their floors were often serving as beds" in the above sentence?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30812 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gmatter0913 wrote:
Verb-ing cannot act as verbs. It requires a helping verb. <-- That is a beautiful insight. I think this is a very common mistake done by non-native speakers.

I would like to ask you what is the function of "verb-ing" in such cases? (example below)

In the late 1880s, the journalist Jacob Riis visited tenement dwellings in several impoverished New York City neighbourhoods to investigate housing conditions and photograph immigrant tenant's apartments, whose interiors were inhumanely overcrowded, their floors often serving as beds, and their walls often windowless and dilapidated with age and neglect.
(A) whose interiors were inhumanely overcrowded, their floors often serving as beds, and their walls often windowless and dilapidated with age and neglect
(B) whose interiors were inhumanely overcrowded, their floors were often serving as beds, and their walls were often lacking windows and dilapidated due to age and neglect
(C) whose interiors were inhumanely overcrowded, their floors were often serving as beds, and they had walls often windowless and dilapidated with age and neglect
(D) having interiors inhumanely overcrowded, their floors often serving for beds, and their walls were often windowless and dilapidated due to age and neglect
(E) having interiors that were inhumanely overcrowded, their floors often serving as beds, and their walls often lacked windows and were dilapidated on account of age and neglect

A is the official answer. I would like to understand what is the function of " verb-ing" in "their floors often serving as beds" in the answer option A?

Is there any change in the meaning between "their floors often serving as beds" and "their floors were often serving as beds" in the above sentence?

Hi gmatter0913,

Yes, the official answer is certainly A here. In this choice verb-ing word "serving" acts as a verb-ing modifier that modifies the immediate preceding noun entity "floors". The word "often" that comes in between "floors" and "serving" is an adverb and modifies the action denoted by "serving".

In the clause , "their floors were often serving as beds", "were serving" is the past continuous tense verb. Now in terms of meaning, the only difference is that there in no tense in the verb-ing modifiers and it takes the tense of the main clause in the sentence. Since the context is set in the past, we know that the action denoted by "serving" took place in the past.

In the past continuous tense, we know that when Riis visited those apartments, "the floors" were serving as beds.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
gmatter0913 wrote:

Hi Shraddha,
I see a clear parallelism error in choice A. Where am I going wrong?

A)Parallel structure:
...appartements
- whose interiors were inhumanely overcrowded, ........................[1]
- their floors {often serving as beds - prepositional phrase modifying floors},AND .......................[2]
- their walls {often windowless and dilapidated with age and neglect - prepositional phrase modifying walls} .................[3]

What I see here is a clause [1] is being made parallel to two nouns [2] and [3] -> Q1) Where am I going wrong?

Q2) If I were to put all the three clauses in parallel structure, replacing their with whose is preferred or ABSOLUTELY required option?

(B)Parallel structure:
...appartements
- whose interiors were inhumanely overcrowded,
- their floors were often serving as beds, and
- their[ walls were often lacking windows and dilapidated due to age and neglect
Q3)same as Q2); whose vs. their
Q4) If we replace their by whose can it be right choice ?
Q5) If even after replacing their by whose this choice is wrong what is wrong with that modified option?
Q6) Can three ICs be put into parallel construction in following fashion? IC1, IC2, and IC3. (IC1 and IC2 are connected without FANBOYS) If we replace whose by their, thats what we will get.
To me, the "ideal" construction to say this would be:
...apartments, whose interiors were inhumanely overcrowded, whose floors were often serving as beds, and whose walls were often lacking windows and dilapidated due to age and neglect
Am I right in saying so?
As I had to choose between A and B, I say to myself, well in A a cause has been compared to nouns where as in B three clauses have been compared. So I choose B (supposedly better one from my prospective, given that both have problem of whose/their)
Coming to the verb tenses, in choice A we have to infer the tenses from the context which has been (the same) explicitly given in choice B. So, B is better in my opinion.

Can anyone please cite the source of this question?

PS: Everyone, please refrain from putting answer key right in the post. It robes us a chance to make an honest attempt to try that question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
bagdbmba wrote:
egmat wrote:
Hi bagdmba,

Growing plants in your backyard needs more care.

Yes, this sentence is correct to mean that one needs more care to grow plants in "your" backyard. Then the number of the verb will change to singular to agree in number with the singular noun "growing" because a verb-ing noun is always singular.

About your second doubt, I would not like to discuss that question here because your doubt pertains to a completely unrelated topic. Post it as a new thread and I will be more than glad to help you with that. :)

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,
Thannks for the clarification. Here'e the link where the qs is already posted so I'd much appreciate if you please come up with your analysis over there accordingly.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/eating-saltwater-fish-may-significantly-reduce-the-risk-of-48628.html

Hi Shraddha,
Does not second example you gave (Growing plants in your backyard need more care) is kind of ambiguous? (if underlined)
To me if this phrase comes in the underlined portion, it can be interpreted in two ways:
1)Growing of plants {in your backyard -prepositional phrase} needs more care. (Growing = Noun)
2) Plants that are growing in your backyard needs more care.

To me, unless the subject of the following clause is not inanimate we can not say for sure whether verb-ing is working as a Noun or an Adjective. But when the Subject of the following clause is inanimate, then the verb-ing can either denote action of modify the subject.
Examples (assuming the phrase is in underlined portion):
1) Growing plants in your backyard need more care (I am confused what it means 1 or 2 cf above)
2) Planting plant plants in your backyard needs more care. Absolutely no confusion here, because unlike the first sentence in which plant can either get modified by growing (adjective) of do the action of growing, the second sentence has no room of plant doing the action of planting itself.
Same in other examples you gave:
Rising inventories... the inventories cannot do the action of rising => Rising = Adjective modifier
Marketing channels... the channels do not do the action of marketing => Marketing = Adjective

All I am saying is when the subject of the following clause is inanimate (can do action) and the verb-ing is an action that the subject can do then there can be two possibilities; the verb-ing can either be an adjective or be a noun. The context will give us the answer.

If not underlined:
1) Growing plants in your backyard need more care => forces me to think that we are talking about plants that are growing
2) Growing plants in your backyard needs more care => forces me to think that we are talking about action of growing plants
3) Growing plants in your backyard need more care => dont know what the meaning is.

I am no grammarian, I am simply putting my observation from your article.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30812 [5]
Send PM
Kudos