Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:34 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [9]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619175 [5]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Is ad > bc ? [#permalink]
CAMANISHPARMAR wrote:
So this is a very interesting DS question!!
Statement 1 is difficult to evaluate. Considering many scenarios could be time consuming. All we need to come up with two scenerios which lead to both a "yes" and a "no". So if b & d are having same sign then the answer is "yes" but if they have apposite sign then the answer is "no" to the question Is ad > bc ?

Hi CAMANISHPARMAR

Sometimes plugging-in values is time consuming but we can easily fix numbers and play with others, for example in statement 1

\(\frac{a}{b} > \frac{c}{d}\)

Let a=0, b=1, this will make LHS =0.......So choose any small numbers c= -1 & d=2.......0 > -1.......Answer is Yes

Let a=0, b=1, this will make LHS =0.......So reverse numbers above c= 2 & d=-1.......0 > 2.......Answer is No

Insufficient

Sometimes we tricked to find nice numbers and spend long time to make it fit.

I hope it helps yo maybe in other questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [0]
Given Kudos: 212
WE:Project Management (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Re: Is ad > bc ? [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Is ad > bc ?

(1) a/b > c/d. If b and d have the same sign, then when cross-multiplying we'll get ad > bc but if they have the opposite signs, then when cross-multiplying we'll get ad < bc. Not sufficient.

(2) b/d >0. b and d have the same sign but no info about a and c. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Since from (2) we have that b and d have the same sign, then from (1) we have the firs case: ad > bc. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel

Can you explain where am i going wrong, i am getting E.

Is ad>bc?

1) a/b > c/d
if (a,b,c,d) = (2,1,1,1) --> ans is yes
if (a,b,c,d) = (-1,2,-1,4) --> ans is no
insuff.

2) b/d > 0
insuff.

(1) + (2)
insuff.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [1]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Kudos
thefibonacci wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Is ad > bc ?

(1) a/b > c/d. If b and d have the same sign, then when cross-multiplying we'll get ad > bc but if they have the opposite signs, then when cross-multiplying we'll get ad < bc. Not sufficient.

(2) b/d >0. b and d have the same sign but no info about a and c. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Since from (2) we have that b and d have the same sign, then from (1) we have the firs case: ad > bc. Sufficient.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel

Is ad>bc?

1) a/b > c/d
insuff.

2) b/d > 0
insuff.

(1) + (2)
insuff.

Hi,

I'm happy to help.

When b =2 & d=4 , then the highlighted past above does not satisfy the condition in statement 1 because -1/2 < -1/4.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619175 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
thefibonacci wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Is ad > bc ?

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel

Is ad>bc?

1) a/b > c/d
insuff.

2) b/d > 0
insuff.

(1) + (2)
insuff.

If (a,b,c,d) = (-1,2,-1,4), then (a/b = -1/2) < (c/d = -1/4), so this set violates (1).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Is ad > bc ?

Hope it's clear.

Hi Buenel,

Why cant A be sufficient for this question:

please find my explanation below and rectify me if I am going wrong any where:

a/b>c/d;
a/b-c/d>0;
(ad-bc)/bd>0;
ad/bd-bc/bd>0;
ad/bd>bc/bd

since,denominator in both the cases are same ,we can say that the numerators decides everything and hence A alone is sufficient.

Regards,
Parth

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619175 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
parthkar wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Is ad > bc ?

Hope it's clear.

Hi Buenel,

Why cant A be sufficient for this question:

a/b>c/d;
a/b-c/d>0;
(ad-bc)/bd>0;
ad/bd-bc/bd>0;
ad/bd>bc/bd

since,denominator in both the cases are same ,we can say that the numerators decides everything and hence A alone is sufficient.

Regards,
Parth

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Consider the following: \(\frac{2}{(-2)} > \frac{3}{(-2)}\). The denominators are the same but is 2 > 3? No.

The same in \(\frac{ad}{bd}>\frac{bc}{bd}\). ad would be greater than bc if and only bd is positive. In this case we could reduce the inequality by it and get ad > bc. But if bd is negative, then by reducing by it, since it's negative, we should flip the sign and we;d get ad < bc.

Hope it's clear.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
parthkar wrote:

a/b>c/d;
a/b-c/d>0;
(ad-bc)/bd>0;
ad/bd-bc/bd>0;
ad/bd>bc/bd

The last statement you made (in red) is where you went wrong. All of your math is correct, but you can't make that assumption.

A good guideline is to think through the math you're doing, rather than making assumptions about how the math will work out. (That's how you avoid careless mistakes.)

ad/bd > bc/bd

If you want to 'ignore' the denominators, what you're actually doing is multiplying both sides of the inequality by bd.

However, you can't do that, because you don't know (without using statement 2) whether bd is positive or negative. So, you don't know whether or not to flip the inequality. You wouldn't know whether it would come out to ad > bc, or ad < bc!

Since you don't know, the statement you used is insufficient.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92933 posts