Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 02:40 It is currently 03 May 2024, 02:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Non-profit
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [2]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
Re: Does hardwork pay off? [#permalink]
gmatfighter12 wrote:
Hi guys,

I am a firm believer of hardwork. Well after all, all the debriefs are about people with lots of hard work get a really good score. Still, there is an exception for everything. Unfortunately, I am that exception.

Here is my Gmat history

Gmat 1: Feb 2012 --->540 (Q: 40, V 22, W: 4.5)
Gmat 2: Ja 2013----->640 (Q: 45, V 34, I:6, W 5)
Gmat 3: Oct 2013---->610 (Q: 47, V: 28)

This third time around, I have no idea what went wrong. I have a full understanding of the test question types, practice a ton and prepare for a long time. I have studied mahattan guide book, OG 12&13, studied 20 pages in GMAT verbal section of BTG, took all 30 test in the 30 test set under the timed condition. I search every question I got wrong and read the explanation for a full comprehension. I enrolled in a prep course. I watched EVERY SINGLE video Thursday w. Ron. Overall, I have no idea where I can improve my score.

That said. Now I am in doubt of my capability. Maybe I have reached my maximum and there is no room left for improvement. I don't know guys. I dont think I will go for another test but seeing 700 all around, I am kind of sad. I have not beat myself in this GMAT game :(

What should I do next? Giving up an MBA and apply for an MS degree? I am pretty old (27) to apply for an MS degree I think.

Well, I gave GMAT recently, Sept 13, 2013, and I scored decent 690, with 38 on Verbal. I faced a lot of challenges like you with Verbal, while preparing, specially SC.
Here are a few things I did for verbal preparation:

Used all official material, that really helps. Got the GMAT Official guide 13th Edition, and work through it. The questions here are retired questions from past tests, and gave me a sense, that there are a few specific things that get repeated, like say parallelism in sentences and noun verb agreement. Once you know these by doing real GMAT questions, you just prepare whats important and appears in GMAT.

Post Official guide I grabbed Official Verbal review 2nd edition, since I needed help on verbal as well. I worked through them solving all questions, and looking up the given solution wherever I went wrong.

Lastly I bought 3 paper tests from GMAC, again with retired test, doing these tests in simulation timed environment gives the closet approximation of your real GMAT Score, except that you will notice that there are more questions in each paper test then real test. This means you actually have more time/ question in on THE DAY, and get slightly higher then paper test. I was getting 670-680 on GMAC paper tests (12 tests that I did), and scored 690 on real day, since there is more time then what you have prepared yourself for !

Hope that helps !

Ankit
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
gmatfighter12 wrote:
Thanks domotron

Since Verbal is my weakness, I have focused on it nonstop. At this point, I am at lost what to study next. I got all the strategies and understanding of the question. I am an avid reader who like to read and often peruse NYtimes. I am not sure where the issue is.

Look at which area you are weak at: SC, RC or CR.
If you are doing ok in all 3, maybe it's a timing issue or stamina. In which case do a lot of timed practice and do blocks of lots of different types of questions to build up stamina.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1100 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 520 Q35 V26
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
Send PM
I would say hard work does pay off. Never give up hope in yourself.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I am not quite sure will the 4th try reflect badly on my academic ability
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: Smith '16 (I)
Send PM
Kudos
Hey Buddy, I gave Gmat yesterday and got exactly same score as you did and with exact same breakup. unfortunately quitting is not an option for me and I strongly believe this score is just not true representative of my potential. I think I know the reason why it happened to me, its not that I was bad in English, I was scoring consistently in late 30's and even 40 in verbal, in Gmat Prep. I think the main reason was mental fatigue on a particular day and then I decided to guess a RC passage completely as it was a long 2 page passage on some historic cultural society. I think that's what started my downfall in verbal section. Any-ways past is past and I am planning to give a shot in mid November once more with a custom study plan. I can share more details regarding what I plan to do this time around if you are interested.
On another point... well if this assuage your worries, I am 29 and planning to do MS and just have 1-2 schools in mind, as per my research the mean age is around 28-29 if you want to get in MS fin for LBS. All I know is I am getting there for sure..no matter what.. :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Nikhil

Thank you for writing this post. It helps me a lot to see there is at least someone in the similar shoes. Do you want to exchange contact at least so that we (or actually I) can motivate each other?

Thank you
Manager
Manager
Send PM
It has been a while since I log in here. I did retake the 4th one and get the score that I wanted. I has to thank gmatclub for introducing a great studying partner. Couldn't make that target without group study.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37352 posts