Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 08:38 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 08:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64986 [1]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 371 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64986 [0]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1562 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Re: Question of the Day - II [#permalink]
What if the question asks for max value of f(x) ??? disregarding the answer choices ??
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
yezz wrote:
What if the question asks for max value of f(x) ??? disregarding the answer choices ??

Not every function will have a minimum and a maximum value. The greater the value of x, the greater the function will become. It is an infinitely increasing function.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Kudos
Many Thanks to all of you for sharing such amazing techniques. I was overwhelmed with mod questions when I started, but your explanations and techniques have helped me build confidence. Bunuel, Karishma, Gurpreet, Shrouded1....Awesome!

How about this approach:

F(x) will be minimum when each individual term in the function has the lowest possible value. So, I get x = 3, -1 and 1/4.
Now, substituting each value of x in F(x), I can easily see that x=1/4 gives me the smallest possible value for F(x) = 4

Thanks,
Rohit
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
eaakbari wrote:
Karishma,

What about a function with evenly spaced numbers?

for instance

f(x) = | 4x + 1| + | 2x + 1| + | 4x + 3| + | x |

What will be the min. value of x for this?

The function will take a minimum value for a range of values of x (between the second and the third values). Think 'Why?'
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rohitd80 wrote:
Many Thanks to all of you for sharing such amazing techniques. I was overwhelmed with mod questions when I started, but your explanations and techniques have helped me build confidence. Bunuel, Karishma, Gurpreet, Shrouded1....Awesome!

How about this approach:

F(x) will be minimum when each individual term in the function has the lowest possible value. So, I get x = 3, -1 and 1/4.
Now, substituting each value of x in F(x), I can easily see that x=1/4 gives me the smallest possible value for F(x) = 4

Thanks,
Rohit

The technique is fine but the logic is not sound. Why should we say that the function will take minimum value only when it takes one of these three values? For one of these values, sure one mod will be 0 but the other two could be much greater.
The reason why this works is because the minimum value will be at one of the transition points - the middle point (logic explained in the post on previous page) in case there are odd number of terms OR at two points (and for every value in between) in case there are even number of terms.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Ok, I get that for f(x) = (4x-1) + (x-3) + (x+1), x must be greater than 1/4, 3 and -1 respectively. But that's where I get lost.

I'm sorry for being so dense on this topic!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4892 [2]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
WholeLottaLove wrote:
Ok, I get that for f(x) = (4x-1) + (x-3) + (x+1), x must be greater than 1/4, 3 and -1 respectively. But that's where I get lost.

I'm sorry for being so dense on this topic!

Study of the absolute value:

1)take each term into the "| |" and define where it's positive
2)draw a number line with each "edge value" (where each term changes sign)
3)Split the function according to those intervals

Refer to the image

So if x>3 all terms are positive =>f(x) = (4x-1) + (x-3) + (x+1)
if 1/4<x<3 for example you see that 4x-1 is positive, x+1 is positive BUT x-3 is negative => f(x) = (4x-1) + (-)(x-3) + (x+1)

Repeat this operation for each interval and you'll have all possible combinations

Remeber that the each function is valid only in that interval

What I mean is that f(x) = (4x-1) + (-)(x-3) + (x+1) is valid only in the 1/4<x<3 area. Each area has its own function
Attachments

Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 1.55 KiB | Viewed 3904 times ]

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4892 [1]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
WholeLottaLove wrote:
Haha - I am lost (not your fault...I am just very slow with mathematical concepts, unfortunately)

I understand that for certain values of x,(say if x =2) (4x-1) and (x+1) would be positive but (x-3) would be negative. But why would we bother finding what is positive and what is negative? I almost feel as if testing a series of integers and fractions, both positive and negative, would be a quicker way to figure out the right answer. Still, I am trying to get the concepts buttoned down.

What I explained above is how to study an abs value from a theoretical point of view, because you original methos is wrong.

Of course this is not required to answer the question, you can try with real number and see what you find out.
But am I trying to explain how an abs function works, for instance your original method

I. f(x) = (4x-1) + (x-3) + (x+1)

II. f(x) = -(4x-1) + -(x-3) + -(x-1)

does not work to find the answer. The function cannot be reduced to that form!

"But why would we bother finding what is positive and what is negative? "
This is required to study an abs value. In my original post you see the graph of F(X), and you notice that is defined into sections.
Each section is one of the intervals above, and in each one of those the fucntion has a different equation.

The concept that I apply here is the same as the one that you would apply to solve
\(y=|x|\)
How would you study this?
for x>0 => y=x
for x<0 => y=-x

Define where the funct is positive, treat each part as a separate equation. The concept in the question is the same, only involves more intervals.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: If f(x)= |4x - 1| + |x-3| + |x + 1| (Question of the Day-II) [#permalink]
hI Gurpreet,

Why did you change the value of |x-3| to 3-x,

For x >1/4 and x< 3 f(x) is bigger than 4. because f(x) = 4x-1 + 3-x + x+1 = 4x+3 > 3

Kriti
Tutor
Send PM
Re: If f(x)= |4x - 1| + |x-3| + |x + 1| (Question of the Day-II) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Kriti2013 wrote:
hI Gurpreet,

Why did you change the value of |x-3| to 3-x,

For x >1/4 and x< 3 f(x) is bigger than 4. because f(x) = 4x-1 + 3-x + x+1 = 4x+3 > 3

Kriti

Because when x is less than 3, (x - 3) is negative.
Therefore, |x-3| = - (x - 3) = 3 - x
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CPA Australia
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
Schools: AGSM '16 (A$)
GMAT 1: 470 Q38 V19
GMAT 2: 600 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Health Care)
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
eaakbari wrote:
Karishma,

So from your method, I infer

That minimum of a function will always be at either its critical points or zero.

Await your valued response.

The minimum could also be in an entire range. Take this question for example.

f(x) = |3x + 1| + |2x-3| + |x - 7|

For what value(s) of x will f(x) have the minimum value?

Thank you for your intuitive explanation and clearing the concept for us. So using your analogy of people at every point, shouldn't -1/3 have the minimum value for x (or distance so to speak)?

To be precise, you said 1/4 point has the minimum distance for x or gives the minimum value because of the denominator 4 (my assumption - as you did not state it specifically). This is why we chose 1/4 over 3/2!
Tutor
Send PM