Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 10:52 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Lamar University - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 620 Q32 V42
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3120 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Re: Old GMAT score was higher... [#permalink]
It depends on which schools you are applying to.. But yes, with a 620 the answer is more often than not yes, you need to retake.. A 620 is not even the 70th percentile and the average at most top 20 schools is around the 690 mark.... So if you think you can do better (which I think you can based on your GPA) then I would say definitely retake.. But one more thing that you may want to consider is you already having an MBA. This might not be the greatest news to hear but many schools don't look favorably upon a second MBA - some even outright saying that they won't consider applicants who already hold an MBA degree... I suggest you clear that up with the schools you are applying to..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Oh, sorry I forgot to mention I am going for a PhD! The field I am looking at is Information System within the Business department (basically I do not want Computer Science). Some schools I am looking at are:

University of Arkansas
Louisiana State University
University of Texas at Arlington
University of Washington
Purdue
University of Cincinnati

I know the last 3 are very competitive but I am hoping for luck with UA and LSU since I teach currently. UA's program uses SAP which I am certified in and teach currently. They'll both still want a higher GMAT score I'm sure. I gave up on Carnegie Mellon and NJIT as these require 720+.

I am scheduled to retake on December 28th (the last day any were available and I have to drive 200 miles). I found some great 30 day study plans on here I am definitely going to use. This time I'll study the Verbal as well since my score on that went down. :) I love this website.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
jenl2881 wrote:
Oh, sorry I forgot to mention I am going for a PhD! The field I am looking at is Information System within the Business department (basically I do not want Computer Science). Some schools I am looking at are:

University of Arkansas
Louisiana State University
University of Texas at Arlington
University of Washington
Purdue
University of Cincinnati

I know the last 3 are very competitive but I am hoping for luck with UA and LSU since I teach currently. UA's program uses SAP which I am certified in and teach currently. They'll both still want a higher GMAT score I'm sure. I gave up on Carnegie Mellon and NJIT as these require 720+.

I am scheduled to retake on December 28th (the last day any were available and I have to drive 200 miles). I found some great 30 day study plans on here I am definitely going to use. This time I'll study the Verbal as well since my score on that went down. :) I love this website.

Hi jenl2881,

First, make sure you check whether Information Systems department is accepting applications for Fall 2014. Lindner (University of Cincinnati) is not accepting applications for Information systems (https://business.uc.edu/programs/phd.html). In fact, I am observing this as a trend. Kelley School of Business (Indiana University) is not accepting applications for IS (https://kelley.iu.edu/Doctoral/Admissions/page13870.html). So, please be sure whether your target school wants to admit students for Fall 2014.

Second, I was in your place last year (scored a 620). From my experience, I would say that you have made a wise choice of retaking GMAT. All the best! :-D

--
regards,
GMATDanger
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ty for the advice! Wow and I looked over each program very thoroughly and didn't see that... Will they post this information on their program page?

From what I can see Purdue, UW, UA, and LSU don't mention anything. I know one I had wanted did say they only accept new students every other year (2013 was the most recent).
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32888 [0]
Given Kudos: 4456
Send PM
All the information was provided in the ealier posts are correct. I suggest to retake too.

Also I would add to look at your program very carefully and try to find (if possible) a mentor. Even if the school doesn't mention the minimum score, yet it is resonable to think that a good program wants at least 680.

Please feel free to ask any further.

regards
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I studied every day and got a 590. My math went up only one point to 33 and my verbal was 39. I am a bit disappointed. I used magoosh's 30 day study plan.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GPA: 4
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
jenl2881 wrote:
I studied every day and got a 590. My math went up only one point to 33 and my verbal was 39. I am a bit disappointed. I used magoosh's 30 day study plan.

Calm down; Analyse the Mistakes and Try to Bounce Back. I know that you will do it jenl2881.

Now Happy New Year; Chear Up

:-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
There is no time to retake now. I realize I should have just focused on getting my verbal as close to 50 as possible, since verbal I pick up easily. My math score bummed me out a bit since I learned so much.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
jenl2881 wrote:
There is no time to retake now. I realize I should have just focused on getting my verbal as close to 50 as possible, since verbal I pick up easily. My math score bummed me out a bit since I learned so much.

Ok so whats your future Plans.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I've already applied so I'll see what happens... If not then I'll retake and apply again.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
jenl2881 wrote:
I've already applied so I'll see what happens... If not then I'll retake and apply again.

Gd my Best Wishes.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I received an offer at my top choice, the PhD in Information Systems program at the University of Arkansas. :)
VP
VP
Send PM
Awesome!!!.. All The Best.. :)
jenl2881 wrote:
I received an offer at my top choice, the PhD in Information Systems program at the University of Arkansas. :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MacFauz wrote:
Awesome!!!.. All The Best.. :)
jenl2881 wrote:

Con-grates you deserve it ; Best of luck

:woohoo :panel :musband
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4387 posts