Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 12:41 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Fuqua ($) or CBS?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: CBS '16 (M)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Re: CBS vs Fuqua ($) [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
It sounds like for you, CBS has recruiting + family/gf and Duke has fit. I would visit to see where you want to be for the next two years. The school environments are very different, and most people either really like or really dislike one of those.

@Dakells went through a similar decision last year and wound up at CBS. Search her posts to find her decision-making thinking
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the responses thus far!

To clarify, I don't currently live in NYC, but I've always wanted to do so. Unfortunately I can't visit both because their admit weekends fall on the same weekend. I will be talking to students at both schools and trying to gauge my true "fit".

@CobraKai Thanks for the advice. I was hoping that this fact might help me "stand out" at Fuqua.
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
"Stand Out" with who? Peers? Recruiters? Once you get in, the admissions committee no longer matters to you.

AdrianK86 wrote:
Thanks for the responses thus far!

To clarify, I don't currently live in NYC, but I've always wanted to do so. Unfortunately I can't visit both because their admit weekends fall on the same weekend. I will be talking to students at both schools and trying to gauge my true "fit".

@CobraKai Thanks for the advice. I was hoping that this fact might help me "stand out" at Fuqua.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Send PM
AdrianK86 wrote:

Stand out in terms of what, recruiters? Keep in mind you don't know how many others were deemed "high potential candidates" and no offense, there are likely going to be more than a few classmates with bigger scholarships than yours, which will allow them to "stand out". Personally, I think the fact that schools admitted you means they want you there.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
AdrianK86 wrote:

Stand out in terms of what, recruiters? Keep in mind you don't know how many others were deemed "high potential candidates" and no offense, there are likely going to be more than a few classmates with bigger scholarships than yours, which will allow them to "stand out". Personally, I think the fact that schools admitted you means they want you there.

You have a valid point. No offense taken. Was just under the impression that a scholarship of some kind might help for recruiting.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
AdrianK86 wrote:

Perhaps I was under the wrong impression that having some sort of scholarship might help someone during recruiting.

It does, but usually full-rides and/or named scholarships do this. If 25% of your class is getting $10K/year, well, you see my point...it's not standing out. It helps as a line on your resume, but will it help as much as matriculating at CBS in terms of landing a Northeast MBB gig? Probably not.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 642
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
CobraKai is all over this. If your goal is MBB consulting in the North East, CBS is the easy choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: International Business, General Management
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Kudos
$10k per year (~250/month if you take out loans) is way small IMHO to compromise on the best school for you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
and in terms of your long-term goal to get into product at a technology company, i would say that CBS is slightly stronger because of the NY connection (with the expectation that NY's tech scene will expand aggressively over the next few years), though being in that industry already, i feel it would be more prudent for you to leverage your short-term MBB experience than heavily rely on the laurels of either fuqua or CBS

good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
I voted for CBS, too. It fits your career goals and is supposedly better for your family life plus you love the city. Other than the costs (the higher cost of living in NYC might actually be more severe than the scholarship offered by Duke), the biggest downside seems to be that the community is less strong than at Duke. But with many people in the same boat as you (not from NYC), I would not really be concerned. And with the bigger class size, it might not really matter if some people, being from NYC, choose not to get involved in the community that much.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [3]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
Given that your consideration set boils down to four factors.

If you prioritize 1) stronger classmate community, and 2) smaller debt (cost of living + tuition), then Fuqua is the better choice.

If you prioritize 1) closer to family and GF, and 2) post-MBA exit in Northeast, then CBS is the better choice.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you everyone for the feedback.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Columbia has much stronger recruiting, and $20k scholarship is nothing. If Duke offered you $70k+ it might be worth choosing, but I think Columbia is the obvious choice in this case.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
CBS without a doubt man.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Agree with the general consensus. CBS is stronger in consulting recruiting, which should easily overcome the ~20k you received. Don't think about standing out - everyone at both schools is going to be smart, and many will have bigger scholarships than you. You can stand out at either place, but that won't happen because you're a "high priority candidate" or got some $; it'll happen because you make it happen.

Also, as one who just turned down CBS but did a bunch of research on it, its community is underrated. Sure, some people don't move from their Lower East Side apartments, but you're talking about a class of ~750 people, and one of the most diverse classes at that. Most of the class is looking to dive into the community, and based on my visit there, absolutely does. I was very impressed by how close knit most of the people are (mostly on a cluster by cluster basis, like most schools).
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
AjMBA wrote:
Hi all, I realize that I'm in a very enviable position, but I'm seeking your advice on my decision. I've been accepted at CBS and Fuqua (Duke). CBS didn't mention anything about scholarships in email or phone call. Fuqua has deemed me a high potential candidate and offered me approximately $10K per year.

Short Term Goals: Management Consulting (hopefully at M/B/B)

Long Term Goals: Product Strategy/Product Development at a Tech company.

Fuqua
+ I loved the students when I visited campus. I think that I would enjoy the Team Fuqua mentality.
+ They want me to come. I've been deemed a high potential candidate. My interviewer and assistant dean both called and gave their sales pitches on Fuqua.
+ Strong Consulting Recruiting
- Consulting placement stronger in South and Mid-Atlantic vs North East(preferred area)
- Farther away from family & girlfriend

CBS
+ NYC Factor. Visit companies as a part of class. Experience the city with classmates. Recruiting is right there.
+ Strong in Consulting and places more students in M/B/B (placement in North East)
+ Closer to family and girlfriend.
- More expensive
- Heard NYC can affect community in negative ways (i.e. students hang out with people they already know)

Any thoughts are appreciated.

AJ, Obviously you've sparked an interesting discussion here. Would love for you to come back in and provide an update on your thinking and final decision. Best of luck -- great choices either way. Best, Brian
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
For those of you who are interested and to help those who have a decision to make in the future I'll share my thought process in a few quick points. I've decided to matriculate at CBS for the following reasons:

1) Fit - Talking with current students as well as admitted applicants gave me a good feeling. I enjoyed my conversations with everyone and really feel that I can fit in and make a lot of close friends during my time at CBS.
2) Community - I got the feeling that a lot of people get involved with the community at CBS. There are a ton of clubs and activities to take part in, plus you have NYC to enjoy with classmates. Students in each cluster become incredibly close and those who don't get involved are few and far between. The Better Halves Club was also a plus as it gives my gf a chance to meet new people and get involved too.
3) Career - For my goals and preferred location I think that CBS has it covered. Being close to all the North East offices will help with recruiting and being able to take advantage of opportunities such as Small Business Consulting Club with local companies in the city will help prepare me for internships and full-time positions.

Thanks again for all the feedback!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts