Last visit was: 11 Jun 2024, 20:48 It is currently 11 Jun 2024, 20:48
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.86
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Supply Chain Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
FROM Fuqua Current Student Blogs: Week-in-Cities with MBA Net Impact Club
Many of Fuqua’s student-run clubs organize “Week-in-Cities” trips to different regions of the country to network with businesses and alumni. As a cabinet member of the Net Impact Club, I had the pleasure of co-organizing this year’s trek to the Bay Area, which occurred a couple months ago during Fall Break.

Every year the Net Impact Club schedules the Week-in-Cities trip in conjunction with the Net Impact National Conference, which was held in San Jose and wonderfully described in a previous post by second-year blogger Jen McFann.

During the three days before the national conference, our group of 30 learned a lot from wonderful panels of socially-minded businesses men and women from 6 focus areas: Social Finance, Energy & Sustainability, Education, Corporate Social Responsibility, Social Impact Consulting and Global Health & International Development. We also visited the offices of Clif Bar, Nest Labs, RSF Social Finance and FSG Social Impact Consulting. We attended a happy hour with many Fuqua alumni from a variety of industries who live in the Bay Area.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here are the highlights of our Week-in-Cities trip!

Inside Clif Bar’s headquarters in Emeryville, California.

Touring the fun headquarters of Clif Bar.

Catching up on emails before the Global Health Panel.

Student-moderated Education panel.

An intense social finance discussion with panelist from RSF, Kiva and Good Capital.

After returning to Fuqua at the end of the week, we were all excited by what we had learned in San Francisco and ready to jump into recruiting season!

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V35
GPA: 3
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
BonzoX85 wrote:
sayak57 wrote:
Guys, anyone have any details on the international loan from coastal fcu? What is the maximum limit allowed to be borrowed?

Sent from my HTC One X

Apparently it was US$ 170k. But starting next year, 90% of total cost of attendance, which is US$78k, so 78k * 0.9 ~= 70k/year.

https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/financial-aid ... attendance

I think the max limit is still usd170k or ~usd85k/y even though the borrowings amount is capped at 90% of CoLA. We can add up costs for computer, gate, spouse etc to Increase our CoLA up to usd188k - 90% of such figure is usd170k...

Is my understanding correct, folks?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Bramantyo70 wrote:
BonzoX85 wrote:
sayak57 wrote:
Guys, anyone have any details on the international loan from coastal fcu? What is the maximum limit allowed to be borrowed?

Sent from my HTC One X

Apparently it was US$ 170k. But starting next year, 90% of total cost of attendance, which is US$78k, so 78k * 0.9 ~= 70k/year.

https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/financial-aid ... attendance

I think the max limit is still usd170k or ~usd85k/y even though the borrowings amount is capped at 90% of CoLA. We can add up costs for computer, gate, spouse etc to Increase our CoLA up to usd188k - 90% of such figure is usd170k...

Is my understanding correct, folks?

Do you know anyone who has filled the online form and completed the process?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [2]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Nonprofit, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Just submitted my round 2 app...that concludes all my bschool apps for 2014!! YAY!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.86
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
submitted! fingers crossed!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Just sent in my round 2 application also! Good Luck to everybody!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Send PM
just submitted for R2. Best of luck to everyone. Fuqua is my no. 1 choice.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
mbamyway wrote:
Just submitted my round 2 app...that concludes all my bschool apps for 2014!! YAY!!!

Ah, that feeling :)

Good luck everyone.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
In for round 2! Good luck to everyone! Hope we'll all be classmates!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
Hi all, submitted my application this past weekend. GL guys.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Current Student Blogs: Fuqua Focuses More on the Business of Energy

Guest Blogger: Richard Bethune, second-year Daytime MBA student.

As Co-President of the Duke MBA Energy Club and a second-year MBA student with a passion for energy finance, I was thrilled to see two exciting developments occur this past summer. First, energy banker Ralph Eads donated $5.5 million to Duke, most of which will fund Duke Energy Initiative programs and an energy finance professorship. Second, Fuqua announced the creation of the Energy Finance Concentration partly because of the energy club’s lobbying efforts including our well-attended energy finance speaker series last spring. I jumped at the opportunity to enroll in the new Energy Finance Concentration courses because I came to Fuqua to take advantage of the school’s already fantastic combination of finance and energy offerings.

Energy finance involves general finance topics such as mergers and acquisitions along with specialized topics such as Master Limited Partnerships, solar leasing, and project finance. It involves some basic science and engineering knowledge. It is a hot topic now because the United States and other countries are undergoing seismic changes in how they generate power and produce oil and gas. These changes are leading to hundreds of billions of dollars in merger and acquisition activity and value creation opportunities. Energy firms and their advisors are desperate for MBAs with the financial and scientific knowledge to understand and capture these opportunities.

New MBA Courses Provide Detailed Insight & Path to Opportunity
Key faculty support for last year’s energy finance speaker series came from former J.P. Morgan banker John Buley, who is Director of Fuqua’s Center for Financial Excellence. He is also supporting the concentrationby co-teaching the new Project Finance course with Professor Vish Viswanathan, which I plan to take in the Spring Term 2. We will study large-scale infrastructure projects that rely mainly on the cash flows generated by the projects to repay loans and earn a return on investment for equity investors. I just completed a couple of energy finance case studies for Vish’s Advanced Corporate Finance course, and I look forward to covering these topics in greater detail during the spring course.

Other new courses for the Energy Finance Concentration include a seminar series led by Dan Vermeer, Executive Director of Fuqua’s Center for Energy, Development, and the Global Environment (EDGE). I took his two-term course in the fall, which included a fascinating variety of speakers, from a Siemens smart grid executive to the former CEO of mining giant Rio Tinto. It was great to understand the energy finance challenges faced by some of the largest corporations in the world.

In addition, an academic travel program was added that’s focused on energy. The in-class portion of the program was led by the former U.S. Ambassador to oil-rich Venezuela, Patrick Duddy. Students heard from some great guest speakers in Durham before traveling to speak with energy policy experts in Washington, D.C., and drilling experts in shale gas-rich Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I was glad the class was able to visit EQT Corporation, the natural gas company where I completed my energy finance internship this past summer. Previous energy banking experience and my involvement in the Energy Club demonstrated to EQT that I had the experience and interest in energy to succeed as an MBA intern. My Fuqua finance, accounting, and energy courses prepared me to raise equity capital, analyze the pension, and model natural gas well production for EQT.

I am excited about the Energy Finance Concentration because it gives me the opportunity to develop hard finance skills in courses like Corporate Finance and Derivatives while better understanding the science and business of energy in courses such as the Fuqua Client Consulting Practicum (FCCP). In the FCCP course, I joined a team of students to consult on a commercial energy efficiency program for the Alliance to Save Energy. Tremendous innovations in renewable energy and oil and gas are creating many jobs for MBAs at investment banks, consultancies, utilities, clean tech VCs, energy conglomerates, renewable energy firms, and oil and gas corporations. I believe the Energy Finance Concentration gives me an edge in the job search.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [2]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Nonprofit, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all--I'm replacing the mighty jumsumtak as threadmaster for this discussion. Let me know if you have any questions!

Looking forward to going through the excitement of waiting for round 2 interview invites/admission decisions with all of you :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Healthcare, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.55
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
In for Round 2, happy Hunger Games!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
gabriel1984 wrote:
In for Round 2, happy Hunger Games!