Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 12:08 It is currently 06 May 2024, 12:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28602 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Should I take the GMAT once again? [#permalink]
gambelda wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
Andreas1990 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I took the GMAT one week ago and get a quite embarrassing score, the total score is to my satisfaction(760 Q51 V41), however, I only get 4.5 for my AWA and 5 for the integrated reasoning, I know the AWA and IR scores are not below average, but they are just not good enough.

I am not a native speaker (I am Chinese), and my target schools are only those ranking top 15, do you think I should take the test once again to pursue better AWA and IR scores? Somebody told me it is absolutely unnecessary since admission council would not take the AWA and IR too seriously.

Honestly, I am not very good at the IR part, because there is too much information to digest for a non-native speaker, if I take the test for another time, the outcome is likely to be T750-780 IR 6-7 and AWA 5-5.5. Although I have never got a score lower than 750 in my prep tests, there is still a chance I would go awry in the next test, here is the risk.

Apart from that, is it advisable to get my AWA rescored? I believe my essay deserve a better score. What is the possibility of an decrease in my score?

One additional question, my undergraduate major is law and I am now working at a prominent PRC law firm, and my major practice area is PE investment, merger and acquisition and some security matters. Just wondering does it look odd for a lawyer to apply to MBA programs? I am not very interested in my work and legal practice in China is not like that in the United States.

Thanks, your replies would be very much appreciated.

Dear Andreas1990,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

My advice: DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT retake the GMAT. It's true: adcom places far more emphasis on the main GMAT score than it places on IR or AWA. Your IR & AWA scores are adequate --- not so low that they raise a red flag. They're fine as is. My suggestion: rather than worry about getting your AWA rescored, write a stellar application essay that is inspiring and grammatically flawless. All adcom wants to know from AWA is: can you write well? If you can demonstrate this in a solid essay, that gives them all they need to know about your writing.

It doesn't look odd for a lawyer to apply for an MBA. Someone with a background in law is going to understand all sorts of nuances to the business world that other people miss. It makes you look like an intelligent and highly educated person who is ambitious to learn & grow in new ways. There's nothing wrong with that!

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

You got a 760 and you go to a public forum to tell people how upset you are with it? :roll: :roll: :roll:

As I said, the main score is fairly satisfactory, I am just wondering whether I should retake GMAT for better AWA and IR scores, as you can see, my scores in these two sections are merely at the average level. No intention to make a show.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: International Business, General Management
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Anything less than an 800 is wildly unacceptable and you will be doomed to an online MBA program
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1124 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Okay, guys. With the exception of mikemcgarry's excellent reply, I sense some negative energy going on here. Let's try to actually help Andreas1990 and, if necessary, provide constructive criticism.

First and foremost, Andreas1990, congratulations on your wonderful performance. I think that your overall score is great and there is no compelling reason for a retake. The risks, at least in my opinion, outweigh the benefits. It would probably be better to invest what remaining time and energy that you have on the rest of the application process.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GPA: 4
Send PM
If you retake the GMAT it will most probably harm you candidature. Your AWA and IR scores are not that important and are still quite good. What will be way more important is the essay you write and what you have to say during the interview so get focus on these parts which will be at least 10 times more important than your AWA and IR scores. If you retake it and (it is not even sure) you get an even better score, then they will just think you don't know what the priorities and cannot make coherent decisions in the time you invest in your application between all the different equally important part of the application
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Like Andreas1990, I am a Chinese as well. Unfortunately there is a stereotype about our facility with the English language and we do need to use extra effort to overturn this perception.
GMAT Club Bot