Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 23:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Re: Taking Out a Larger Loan Amount [#permalink]
HopefulApplicant22 wrote:
If COA is $70k per year, and I received a fellowship for $20k/year, would I be able to borrow more than $50k from a private lender, since it is still under the COA? Or will they only lend the difference?

From a private lender you can borrow whatever you want (or rather, what they'll approve), COA is only for federal loans.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [1]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
mgh234 wrote:
HopefulApplicant22 wrote:
If COA is $70k per year, and I received a fellowship for $20k/year, would I be able to borrow more than $50k from a private lender, since it is still under the COA? Or will they only lend the difference?

From a private lender you can borrow whatever you want (or rather, what they'll approve), COA is only for federal loans.

This is not accurate. I applied with 7-8 lenders. Every single one required school certification. I've never heard of a school certifying for more than the COA less the amount of any other aid received. To answer Hopeful's question, yes you will only be able to get the difference.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: CBS (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.41
WE:Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)
Send PM
As brandon432 said, most, if not all, lender (both private & federal) clearly specifies in contract that the borrowing limit is COA budget (minus any other aid) set by school. I believe many of them verify the amount with the school directly as well, so you can't just lie about the amount. And also as brandon432 said, you will be able to borrow only the difference between COA & any other aid.

But I believe you can request your school to increase COA budget. I haven't tried for my MBA degree, but for my UGrad, I was able to. But I had to have a valid reason (which I had) and it had to be reviewed by school for approval.

So, in your case, you can ask your school to increase COA to $ 80k. Of course, you have to have a valid reason for extra $ 10k. I think you should contact the financial aid office for the process, and the process can vary a lot by school.
GMAT Club Bot