Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 02:11 It is currently 04 May 2024, 02:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [2]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GPA: 4
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Tuck Considering a One-Year Masters in Management [#permalink]
I don't completely agree. I think Tuck needed to offer another type or program to acknowledge that there are a lot more ways these days to get a job or have a career. So I always thought Tuck was a little too narrowly focused.

Actually, back in the 70s and before, the Tuck MBA used to be a "4+1" program. Most of the MBA students were straight from undergrad. I was told this by my friend's dad who is a 1968 grad.

But I can understand concerns about dilution of the brand and spreading the resources. Hopefully, the MIM at Tuck will start in June so that the MIM and MBA students don't completely overlap. And in terms of resources, I imagine some of the undergrad classrooms and/or housing may be used. Or maybe they will build something new.

And even though Dean Danos says he doesn't forsee any cannabilization, I would think that perhaps maybe a few spots would open up in the MBA program that an MIM student would have taken if the person hadn't done the MIM (if this sentence makes sense.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.55
WE:Information Technology (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
Tuck is not officially offering a 1 year MiM, contrary to Poets and Quants. They are exploring the option and bringing a bunch of current Tuckies into the process to evaluate the impact on the MBA program. We have all the same questions and concerns you do. It will not go forward unless the community and alumni think it is a value-add to the full time MBA program. It has not been voted on or approved in any way. There are just studies being done. If it even moves past this stage, it wouldn't be ready for enrollment for many, many years. This is not a forgone conclusion. Entirely new facilities would have to be built. The deans themselves aren't even sure this is a good idea yet. This entire conversation is just part of a regularly scheduled strategic review.

-Current Tuckie

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
kschmidt1801 wrote:
Tuck is not officially offering a 1 year MiM, contrary to Poets and Quants. They are exploring the option and bringing a bunch of current Tuckies into the process to evaluate the impact on the MBA program. We have all the same questions and concerns you do. It will not go forward unless the community and alumni think it is a value-add to the full time MBA program. It has not been voted on or approved in any way. There are just studies being done. If it even moves past this stage, it wouldn't be ready for enrollment for many, many years. This is not a forgone conclusion. Entirely new facilities would have to be built. The deans themselves aren't even sure this is a good idea yet. This entire conversation is just part of a regularly scheduled strategic review.

-Current Tuckie

Posted from my mobile device

That's very reassuring news for a T'16! The facilities side was definitely a concern bearing in mind the current campus is the perfect size of the current class of MBAs but wouldn't be able to accomodate any more students.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Can I be a little bit of a contrarian here. First, Tuck's culture is undoubtedly it's unique selling proposition. But keep in mind that Tuck was significantly expanded under Dean Danos to reach its current size. Moreover, the schools that Tuck competes with are giants: Kellogg, Booth, Columbia etc. Tuck needs to grow its resources to be able to keep up with them. I think that was the rationale behind the expansion move.

Another alternative is to add another section in the MBA class so that the school is still small compared to all others but becomes a little bigger that its current size.

My thoughts are that if Tuck can maintain its culture while growing in some shape or form to keep up with rivals, that would be ideal.
Director
Director
Send PM
I revised the name of this thread since it was correctly pointed out that Tuck has not come to a final decision yet on this potential offering.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73007 [0]
Given Kudos: 18906
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived Tuck Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our Tuck Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated Tuck Forum for all fresh things related to the Tuck MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts