Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 06:08 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [4]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM Class of 2016 Admitted Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Can someone help me with some housing info. How are the in-campus housing options? For married student with kid, what shall be a good option to stay? Thnx
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kavin13 wrote:
Can someone help me with some housing info. How are the in-campus housing options? For married student with kid, what shall be a good option to stay? Thnx

Great to have you in the class of 2016! While I am sure aerien, OhDenny, or one of the other current SOM students can better help you with this, https://gradhousing.yale.edu/ is a good place to start and it seems like there is specific housing for families.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
kavin13 wrote:

There should be a section of the Admitted Students Website that has housing options. The current students have filled out their info and it should be uploaded by today. There are many great options for families both in East Rock (SOM's neighborhood) and further out in Hamden, Westville, and East Haven, though those neighborhoods would require a drive.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Flyte wrote:
kavin13 wrote:

Great to have you in the class of 2016! While I am sure aerien, OhDenny, or one of the other current SOM students can better help you with this, https://gradhousing.yale.edu/ is a good place to start and it seems like there is specific housing for families.

Thnx buddy!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Is there anyone joining Yale from Middle East - Dubai/Abu Dhabi? Or else anyone knows any Yale SOM alum in this region?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [1]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
Kudos
kavin13, how old is your child? Do you need to worry about daycares or public schools?

In terms of graduate housing, I recommend either Whitehall or Esplanade. Both apartments have a lot of kids around and it's great community for children to play together.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
kavin13 wrote:
Flyte wrote:
kavin13 wrote:

Thnx buddy!!

Whatever @farful said in the post above this one ^^^ is right. Trust in farful!

Please be sure to look at the timeline carefully though. For apartments (https://gradhousing.yale.edu/apartments), the lottery has already opened and I believe it's more or less first come first serve + where the graduate housing office thinks is a best fit for you and the building setting. Apply asap if you're interested! Decisions are rolling so you could either hear back next week if there's availability or you might not here until June.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
OhDenny wrote:
kavin13 wrote:

There should be a section of the Admitted Students Website that has housing options. The current students have filled out their info and it should be uploaded by today. There are many great options for families both in East Rock (SOM's neighborhood) and further out in Hamden, Westville, and East Haven, though those neighborhoods would require a drive.

Thanks Ohdenny!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
OhDenny wrote:
kavin13 wrote:

Thanks Ohdenny!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
farful wrote:
kavin13, how old is your child? Do you need to worry about daycares or public schools?

In terms of graduate housing, I recommend either Whitehall or Esplanade. Both apartments have a lot of kids around and it's great community for children to play together.

My son is 1 yr. old.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Whatever @farful said in the post above this one ^^^ is right. Trust in farful!

Please be sure to look at the timeline carefully though. For apartments (https://gradhousing.yale.edu/apartments), the lottery has already opened and I believe it's more or less first come first serve + where the graduate housing office thinks is a best fit for you and the building setting. Apply asap if you're interested! Decisions are rolling so you could either hear back next week if there's availability or you might not here until June.[/quote]

Thanks Aerien!! Will apply for it soon.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
I'm corny (Yale is actually somewhat known for all their corny videos recently) and my daughter is obsessed with this song... so much so I've learned to play it on the piano; so, I'm sharing this as it's somewhat relevant. It's for Yale SOM (the other M - there's actually an unpleasant acronym for SOM to other Yalies jealous of $$, but that's another story) and showcases Yale's culture such as Pepe's, Leitner Observatory, food carts (again for the wrong M... the med school's food cart selection is way superior than management's), GPSCY, museums, etc. This is some of what you can look forward to - enjoy!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUUDfhrewJY[/youtube]
Manager
Manager
Send PM
What does everyone think about the new grading system? Honestly, I am still very sceptical despite the slight walk back by the faculty.

aerien, OhDenny, et all what do you guys think? I still can't fathom why SOM is removing GND when other top b-schools like Wharton and CBS are adding GND. It is antithetical to SOM's spirit and culture IMO.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Flyte wrote:
What does everyone think about the new grading system? Honestly, I am still very sceptical despite the slight walk back by the faculty.

aerien, OhDenny, et all what do you guys think? I still can't fathom why SOM is removing GND when other top b-schools like Wharton and CBS are adding GND. It is antithetical to SOM's spirit and culture IMO.

Flyte - Can you describe the walk back that you've heard about? We don't know what's been released to the admitted students. I ask because I'm not sure I'd describe the new decision they have made as a slight walk back. They are essentially getting rid of the full disclosure. If you haven't already gotten that from Admissions, I apologize for spoiling it for you, but it should be coming soon.

Here's my take, and please know that this is my personal take as a student and that I don't speak for any of my classmates, the administration and faculty, or the student government. While I think the faculty and administration screwed up in terms of process by not making visible student and alumni engagement a high priority in this decision-making process, Deans Snyder and Jain, as well as nearly all the senior faculty, have directly acknowledged this several times to the entire student body. They have convened several town halls, met with many groups of students, and many alums, and have incorporated our feedback to amend their changes appropriately. I feel that they have been contrite, incredibly open, and collaborative, and I also feel that it's time for us as a community (current students and alumni) to move on.

What this process and kerfuffle has given me is reaffirmation that Yale SOM's DNA stays very much intact. The students care about the culture. The faculty cares about the culture. The administration, new and old, all care about the culture. And part of the reason that SOM is known for being one of the most academically rigorous programs is because everyone at the school is truly invested in a growth mindset - this means that the deans and faculty are well aware that they are not exempt from learning from process failures. Over the past two months I have spoken to hundreds of classmates and alumni who have expressed varying points of concern, support, ire, and indifference, but I have been so heartened by the conversation and the investment in the school that it shows. Again, I'm ready to move on, and I believe the vast majority of the stakeholders are as well. But I do want to offer myself up if any of you all would like to chat more about it. Feel free to PM me.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
OhDenny, thank you for the reply, it is definitely interesting to get a current students' thoughts on the issues!

OhDenny wrote:
Flyte wrote:

Flyte - Can you describe the walk back that you've heard about? We don't know what's been released to the admitted students. I ask because I'm not sure I'd describe the new decision they have made as a slight walk back. They are essentially getting rid of the full disclosure. If you haven't already gotten that from Admissions, I apologize for spoiling it for you, but it should be coming soon.

Here's my take, and please know that this is my personal take as a student and that I don't speak for any of my classmates, the administration and faculty, or the student government. While I think the faculty and administration screwed up in terms of process by not making visible student and alumni engagement a high priority in this decision-making process, Deans Snyder and Jain, as well as nearly all the senior faculty, have directly acknowledged this several times to the entire student body. They have convened several town halls, met with many groups of students, and many alums, and have incorporated our feedback to amend their changes appropriately. I feel that they have been contrite, incredibly open, and collaborative, and I also feel that it's time for us as a community (current students and alumni) to move on.

What this process and kerfuffle has given me is reaffirmation that Yale SOM's DNA stays very much intact. The students care about the culture. The faculty cares about the culture. The administration, new and old, all care about the culture. And part of the reason that SOM is known for being one of the most academically rigorous programs is because everyone at the school is truly invested in a growth mindset - this means that the deans and faculty are well aware that they are not exempt from learning from process failures. Over the past two months I have spoken to hundreds of classmates and alumni who have expressed varying points of concern, support, ire, and indifference, but I have been so heartened by the conversation and the investment in the school that it shows. Again, I'm ready to move on, and I believe the vast majority of the stakeholders are as well. But I do want to offer myself up if any of you all would like to chat more about it. Feel free to PM me.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Everyone excited about Welcome Weekend?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
This may sound like a strange question late in the game, but very important to me being agnostic about my career direction now:

I had a really great time at welcome weekend at SOM- a really impressive and fun '16 cohort- but I feel the one gap in my knowledge was the extent of career office involvement starting day 1 and before the first semester starts in terms of helping students find a concrete professional direction (for students like me with a varied background, likely not looking to go into finance/consulting and a not clear understanding of where they're headed in an internship or career at this point). There was a lot to take in during the weekend and for some reason I wasn't able to probe this issue enough with students or staff. Can any current students (or incoming classmates who have a better idea) frankly just reassure me about this before I submit on my deposit?

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts