Last visit was: 08 Jun 2024, 18:28 It is currently 08 Jun 2024, 18:28
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Kellogg: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink]
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Dean Sally Blount at EMBA Graduation

Dean Sally Blount speaks to our new Kellogg Executive MBA Programgraduates last Saturday at the EMBA Convocation Ceremony. Congrats to the new alumni and to our Ph.D, full-time and part-time students graduating this Friday, June 20! #KSM14

Filed under: Student Life Tagged: Convocation, graduation, leadership
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Five Life Mottos for Graduating Students from Dean Ziegler

Good morning, graduates!

Today is a big day. My Kellogg journey has been shared with many of you, so I am sure you know this day is particularly meaningful to me as well. Your graduation, the convocation events this week, and the exit conversations I’ve had with many of you have inspired personal reflection.

Over the last 15 + years, I’ve developed five “life mottos” that I wanted to pass along to you to consider as you take the next step in your life journey.

• Aspire to achieve no unmanaged outcomes: For any personal or professional situation, envision the outcome you desire, think through potential challenges, get out ahead of the situation and pre-solve for any issues. This requires moments of deep thinking, great organization and the courage to articulate what is important to you – despite potential resistance. Try it. I promise that once you start thinking this way, you will feel much more in control of your career and life.
  • Cultivate mentor relationships: Mentors matter– we all need support. Finding a mentor should be at the very top of your to-do list. My personal mentors have changed every five years or so. I’ve needed different guidance over time and different mentors to meet those needs. Understand how you too can begin to mentor others. My mentor-mentee relationships continue to be some of the most rewarding of my life.
  • Focus on your response to the “bounce” vs. the “bounce” itself: You will make mistakes. Some will be big, and some will be small. I’ve made dozens over my career. Your mentors and those more senior than you have also made them, even though they may not talk about them. In my experience, people don’t remember the mistakes themselves (or the negative bounce), but they remember how you respond to those situations.  Attitude supersedes all else.
  • Resist the urge to go underground: You will have moments of sheer panic – that you were a hiring mistake, that you made a mistake on an analysis, that you are overwhelmed by the workload/responsibility. This is normal and happens to everyone, even if they don’t want to admit it. Resist the urge to go underground and hide. Instead, ask for help, say you don’t know if you don’t know or call your friends for support. Organizations that hire Kellogg graduates do not make hiring mistakes. Remember, you belong, you have earned a seat at the table. You will be great, but you won’t be great totally on your own…something you’ve undoubtedly learned at Kellogg.
  • Plan to live a full and happy life: Every 6 months that I was at McKinsey, I asked myself – Am I still learning? Am I still making an impact? Am I still having fun? For 11 years, the answers to these questions were yes. At year 11, I started to feel differently, so wrote out a 40×40 list (things I wanted to do by the time I was 40) and started executing. My world totally opened up. I was a seat filler at the Primetime Emmys, travelled around the globe, attended the Aspen Ideas Festival…and I made choices that got me to Kellogg. I firmly believe that you have to plan to live a full and happy life. It is so easy to get caught up in the routine, put your head down and work, and define yourself by your professional accomplishments. Figure out what is important to you over time (not necessarily what others think is important), and make intentional choices that bring you the greatest personal happiness. You may want to walk down a path that everyone around you thinks is crazy or risky. If you have conviction that this path will make you happy, make the brave choice and take it.
You are Kellogg leaders, an achievement few people can claim. Many doors and opportunities will be open to you. Have confidence, be able to articulate what is most important to you and use that as your guidepost for navigating life’s big decisions.

While your days as a student have come to an end, your connection to Kellogg lasts for a lifetime. Take advantage of the opportunities provided by our global alumni network – leverage it and contribute to it.

I look forward to seeing each of you on the graduation stage later today and hearing about all of your personal and professional success going forward.

Congratulations!

Elizabeth Ziegler

Associate Dean of MBA Programs and Dean of Students

Filed under: Student Life Tagged: Advice, Dean Ziegler, graduation
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Five Life Mottos for Graduates

A letter to Kellogg’s graduating class of 2014 from Dean Ziegler

Good morning, graduates!

Today is a big day. My Kellogg journey has been shared with many of you, so I am sure you know this day is particularly meaningful to me as well. Your graduation, the convocation events this week, and the exit conversations I’ve had with many of you have inspired personal reflection.

Over the last 15-plus years, I’ve developed five “life mottos” that I wanted to pass along to you to consider as you take the next step in your life journey.

1. Aspire to achieve no unmanaged outcomes.

For any personal or professional situation, envision the outcome you desire, think through potential challenges, get out ahead of the situation and pre-solve for any issues. This requires moments of deep thinking, great organization and the courage to articulate what is important to you – despite potential resistance. Try it. I promise that once you start thinking this way, you will feel much more in control of your career and life.

2. Cultivate mentor relationships.

Mentors matter– we all need support. Finding a mentor should be at the very top of your to-do list. My personal mentors have changed every five years or so. I’ve needed different guidance over time and different mentors to meet those needs. Understand how you too can begin to mentor others. My mentor-mentee relationships continue to be some of the most rewarding of my life.

3. Focus on your response to the “bounce” vs. the “bounce” itself.

You will make mistakes. Some will be big, and some will be small. I’ve made dozens over my career. Your mentors and those more senior than you have also made them, even though they may not talk about them. In my experience, people don’t remember the mistakes themselves (or the negative bounce), but they remember how you respond to those situations.  Attitude supersedes all else.

4. Resist the urge to go underground.

You will have moments of sheer panic – that you were a hiring mistake, that you made a mistake on an analysis, that you are overwhelmed by the workload/responsibility. This is normal and happens to everyone, even if they don’t want to admit it. Resist the urge to go underground and hide. Instead, ask for help, say you don’t know if you don’t know or call your friends for support. Organizations that hire Kellogg graduates do not make hiring mistakes. Remember, you belong, you have earned a seat at the table. You will be great, but you won’t be great totally on your own…something you’ve undoubtedly learned at Kellogg.

5. Plan to live a full and happy life.

Every 6 months that I was at McKinsey, I asked myself – Am I still learning? Am I still making an impact? Am I still having fun? For 11 years, the answers to these questions were yes. At year 11, I started to feel differently, so wrote out a 40×40 list (things I wanted to do by the time I was 40) and started executing. My world totally opened up. I was a seat filler at the Primetime Emmys, travelled around the globe, attended the Aspen Ideas Festival…and I made choices that got me to Kellogg. I firmly believe that you have to plan to live a full and happy life. It is so easy to get caught up in the routine, put your head down and work, and define yourself by your professional accomplishments. Figure out what is important to you over time (not necessarily what others think is important), and make intentional choices that bring you the greatest personal happiness. You may want to walk down a path that everyone around you thinks is crazy or risky. If you have conviction that this path will make you happy, make the brave choice and take it.

You are Kellogg leaders, an achievement few people can claim. Many doors and opportunities will be open to you. Have confidence, be able to articulate what is most important to you and use that as your guidepost for navigating life’s big decisions.

While your days as a student have come to an end, your connection to Kellogg lasts for a lifetime. Take advantage of the opportunities provided by our global alumni network – leverage it and contribute to it.

I look forward to seeing each of you on the graduation stage later today and hearing about all of your personal and professional success going forward.

Congratulations!

Elizabeth Ziegler

Associate Dean of MBA Programs and Dean of Students

Filed under: Student Life Tagged: Advice, Dean Ziegler, graduation
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Convocation 2014
On June 20, Kellogg Convocation 2014, which included Ph.D., full-time and part-time students, took place at Ryan Field. Share your congrats and your favorite Kellogg memories using #KSM14!

Filed under: Academics, Student Life
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Watch: Convocation 2014 Video

“(Kellogg leaders) are compulsive in helping people reach their human potential.” —Dean Sally Blount ’92

Congratulations to the 1,024 members of the Class of 2014 who graduated last Friday, June 20th! Relive convocation.

Filed under: Student Life Tagged: Convocation, graduation, video
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Financial Advice for Graduates
Kellogg School Admin:
Following Kellogg Convocation 2014, Kellogg Professor Tim Calkins offers four pieces of financial advice for new grads.

Originally posted on Building Strong Brands:

Today is Kellogg’s commencement ceremony. Hundreds of students will shortly walk across the stage and receive their degrees. I’m here at Ryan Field in Evanston getting ready to march in with the faculty.

The graduates will then celebrate. And in the coming weeks they will begin their careers as business leaders.

It is a time for advice. During today’s ceremony, I suspect the speakers will offer suggestions on leadership, ethics and happiness.

I’ll provide some advice on money. I teach marketing, not finance, but after working for eleven years in the corporate world and twelve years in the academic world, I’ve learned a few things about managing funds.

Save

This is my most important piece of advice. You should set aside some money. Having funds in the bank gives you peace of mind; if things go poorly at work you will still be ok. It also gives you freedom; you can pursue…

View original 480 more words

Filed under: Uncategorized
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Kellogg Wins Second Place, Gold Status in MBA Ally Challenge

Nisa Agrawal ’14 with one of the GLMA presidents

Following nine months of hard work on the part of the Kellogg Gay and Lesbian Management Association (GLMA) and the Kellogg student body, Kellogg School of Management has been awarded second place out of 12 schools in the Friendfactor MBA Ally Challenge. Kellogg also placed first in the inclusion score and activities categories and was one of only three schools to receive Gold Status. Read more from Nisa Agrawal ’14, Ally Co-Chair:

Back in December, I wrote about Kellogg’s participation in the Friendfactor MBA Ally Challenge. At that time, we were in second place and had received a Silver Status distinction. I’m happy to report that as of the completion of the competition, we came in second place overall (out of 12 teams) and received Gold Status! To earn Gold Status, we achieved the following:

• Had over 200 recorded allies
  • Organized over nine events (We had 20!)
  • Had outcomes in the top 25% of all programs

For me, I think this is a huge accomplishment and is a testament to what a great and inclusive culture we have here at Kellogg. At the beginning of the year, one of my big goals as the ally co-chair was to make the Kellogg community more aware of issues impacting the LGBT community. This competition was a friendly reminder to me to continue spreading awareness about LGBT issues, which we accomplished through events including:

By allowing all members of the Kellogg community to learn how we as allies could support the LGBT community, we managed to increase our awareness score (per a survey by Friendfactor) from 43% at the beginning of the year to 66% by the end of the year. While there is still work to be done, I took this as a very promising sign that students are committed to supporting the LGBT community and that this is only the start of great things for Kellogg to achieve in the LGBT realm. In my eyes, we truly came out on top! :-)

Note: Kellogg will be formally recognized for its performance in the MBA Ally Challenge on Saturday, July 26, at the Ally Challenge Awards Dinner (hosted in San Francisco). Eric Hui and Le Truong, both of the Class of 2015, will be accepting the award on Kellogg’s behalf.

Read about the challenge and Kellogg’s second place win in the Huffington Post. 

Nisa Agrawal, 2Y – Class of 2014, is originally from the Chicagoland area. Prior to Kellogg, she was an auditor at PricewaterhouseCoopers but came to Kellogg with a desire to move into marketing. As an ally co-chair for the Gay and Lesbian Management Association (GLMA), Nisa enjoys helping her fellow peers learn more about issues impacting the LGBT community. In her free time, Nisa enjoys spending time with family and friends, singing, dancing and teaching Zumba.

Filed under: Student Life Tagged: leadership, LGBT, MBA Ally Challenge, Student Experience
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Kellogg Wins Second Place, Gold Status in MBA LGBT Ally Challenge

Nisa Agrawal ’14 with A.J. Brown ’15, an incoming GLMA president

Kellogg School of Management was awarded second place as well as Gold Status in the Friendfactor MBA Ally Challenge this week. The challenge, which took place over the course of the 2013-2014 school year, measured the success of each participating school in creating ally initiatives and an inclusive environment for LGBT students.

In addition to winning second place overall, Kellogg placed first in the inclusion score and activities categories and was one of only three schools to receive Gold Status.

Learn more about what Kellogg is doing to create an inclusive environment for LGBT students from Nisa Agrawal ’14, co-chair of Kellogg’s ally team.

Back in December, I wrote about Kellogg’s participation in the Friendfactor MBA Ally Challenge. At that time, we were in second place and had received a Silver Status distinction. I’m happy to report that as of the completion of the competition, we came in second place overall (out of 12 teams) and received Gold Status

I think this is a huge accomplishment and a testament to what a great and inclusive culture we have here at Kellogg. At the beginning of the year, one of my big goals as the ally co-chair was to make the Kellogg community more aware of issues impacting the LGBT community, and this competition was a friendly reminder to me to continue spreading awareness about LGBT issues.

Some of our events included:

By allowing all members of the Kellogg community to learn how we as allies could support the LGBT community, we managed to increase our awareness score (per a survey by Friendfactor) from 43% at the beginning of the year to 66% by the end of the year. While there is still work to be done, I took this as a very promising sign that students are committed to supporting the LGBT community and that this is only the start of great things for Kellogg to achieve in the LGBT realm. In my eyes, we truly came out on top!

Note: Kellogg will be formally recognized for its performance in the MBA Ally Challenge on Saturday, July 26, at the Ally Challenge Awards Dinner (hosted in San Francisco). Eric Hui and Le Truong, both of the Class of 2015, will be accepting the award on Kellogg’s behalf.

Read about the challenge and Kellogg’s second place win in the Huffington Post. 

Nisa Agrawal, 2Y – Class of 2014, is originally from the Chicagoland area. Prior to Kellogg, she was an auditor at PricewaterhouseCoopers but came to Kellogg with a desire to move into marketing. As an ally co-chair for the Gay and Lesbian Management Association (GLMA), Nisa enjoys helping her fellow peers learn more about issues impacting the LGBT community. In her free time, Nisa enjoys spending time with family and friends, singing, dancing and teaching Zumba.

Filed under: Student Life Tagged: leadership, LGBT, MBA Ally Challenge, Student Experience
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73526 [0]
Given Kudos: 19078
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived 'Calling All Kellogg Applicants' Topic
Hi there,
You've reached an old 'Calling All Kellogg Applicants' discussion which is now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for the latest discussion? Check out this up-to-date Calling All Kellogg Applicants Discussion for the most recent conversations on this topic.
Interested in more from this school? Visit our dedicated Kellogg Forum to dive into all things related to Kellogg's MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  83   84   85 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6957 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts