Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 15:42 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Ross & Kellogg Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [4]
Given Kudos: 717
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 547 [1]
Given Kudos: 128
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GRE 1: Q170 V163
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants: 2024 Intake Class of 2026 [#permalink]
Hello, thank you so much for hosting this session. I wanted to know about the Medical Technologies in Global Public Health course. Does this involve field trips? Is it very focused to Africa or it covers the spectrum of Public Health across the globe? Such as South East Asia? Is it tied up with the GIM Trip? Can one choose the part of the globe he/she wants to pursue the GIM trip?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72903 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants: 2024 Intake Class of 2026 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Thanks everyone for joining. We will start right after Zoom in 10 mins or so.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello! Does Kellogg accept people with higher work ex (~8 years) and masters degree to their 1Y MBA/2Y MBA/MMM or is EMBA the only way?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
What are the prospects for an 8 year experienced candidate having 5 years of experience in IT and 3 years of experience in entrepreneurship and family business?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hello, super grateful for the insightful session! I’d like to get more information on the 8 Majors and 11 Pathways. How exactly does it work. Is there a mandatory number we must pick? Can we pick more than one pathways? Please shed more light on this. Thanks.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 310 [0]
Given Kudos: 379
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 250 Q7 V15
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47 (Online)
GRE 1: Q169 V169
GPA: 3.04
WE:Other (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi everyone! Incoming Kellogg student here

MMM program

Nice to meet you all. I am happy to answer any questions

PelumiFadairo wrote:
Hello, super grateful for the insightful session! I’d like to get more information on the 8 Majors and 11 Pathways. How exactly does it work. Is there a mandatory number we must pick? Can we pick more than one pathways? Please shed more light on this. Thanks.

Hi! No mandatory number you must pick. You are free to choose whichever pathway that works for you. You will be assigned an academic advisor who will coach you on such decisions.

If you’re interested in learning more you can check this link out: https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/pr ... hways.aspx

ssc2611 wrote:
What are the prospects for an 8 year experienced candidate having 5 years of experience in IT and 3 years of experience in entrepreneurship and family business?

Hi! I come from a non traditional background myself and let me tell you that Kellogg loves us! Kellogg loves people who come from diverse non traditional backgrounds. I think it’s highly commendable that you left an IT job for an entrepreneurial opportunity. That speaks volumes of you. Now you only need to show Kellogg why you did that, what your story is and how Kellogg will be able to support your career objectives.

In order for your application to stand out, you must identify a weakness in your professional life that you believe Kellogg will be able to fulfill through the resources provided there.

For example: you are running your family’s business but don’t have experience in finance. Let’s say that because of your lack of experience, your business lost X amount of dollars. You need such skills fulfilled by Kellogg and that is one of the reasons why you want to attend Kellogg. Does that make sense?

LostJellyBean wrote:
Hello! Does Kellogg accept people with higher work ex (~8 years) and masters degree to their 1Y MBA/2Y MBA/MMM or is EMBA the only way?

Absolutely! I would say the healthy spot to apply would be 4-8 yrs of work experience post undergrad. However, if you have more years then you need to convince Kellogg why NOW makes sense for you to get an MBA and why specifically Kellogg.

If I were you, I would focus on niche programs (given that they meet your career objectives) like the MMM, MBAi. It will be so much easier to convince Kellogg when you apply to these programs given your situation than it would if you were to apply to a general 2Y. I hope this helps!

Originally posted by daldilaimi on 13 Jun 2023, 10:38.
Last edited by daldilaimi on 13 Jun 2023, 10:47, edited 7 times in total.
Current Student
Send PM
Feel free to ask more questions
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 430 [0]
Given Kudos: 1187
Concentration: General Management, Economics
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
Is it necessary to have a technical background to get into one year regular MBA Program?
Current Student
Send PM
No it’s not. You just need to have a clear intention on your post mba goals even more for the 1y program
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 430 [0]
Given Kudos: 1187
Concentration: General Management, Economics
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
daldilaimi wrote:
No it’s not. You just need to have a clear intention on your post mba goals even more for the 1y program

Thanks for the response, Daldilaimi!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
daldilaimi wrote:
If you’re interested in learning more you can check this link out: https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/pr ... hways.aspx

Got it! Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello! My question is, for someone who is applying right after their undergrad or around a year later (and not looking for a deferred program), but has around 2-3 years of full time paid work experience with startups, does Kelloggs count it as relevant work experience, and does this have an effect on their overall application or chances at a scholarship?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
hello! what were your main learnings during the application process? what would you have done differently?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72903 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
KainatNazir wrote:
Hello! My question is, for someone who is applying right after their undergrad or around a year later (and not looking for a deferred program), but has around 2-3 years of full time paid work experience with startups, does Kelloggs count it as relevant work experience, and does this have an effect on their overall application or chances at a scholarship?

Hi. I don’t see why your start up experience would not be counted as full time. I mean if you were just not very serious about it then it is a different thing but if you were working 40 hours a week and getting paid, then it is a Full-time Job. I think you are in a good shape with it. Just focus on what results were achieved (and even if the statup failed, it is fine too - those things happen all the time so important to show resilience and perseverance.)

LEOLUCCIOLA wrote:
hello! what were your main learnings during the application process? what would you have done differently?

Awesome question. I think the 2 Kellogg students we have here working this chat were roped into doing a Zoom session (being hosts). They will be able to reply in a bit. Sorry about that - last-minute changes with availability. I am hearing 15 mins to go so hang in there :angel:

Originally posted by bb on 14 Jun 2023, 16:12.
Last edited by bb on 14 Jun 2023, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
Hi. I don’t see why your start up experience would not be counted as full time. I mean if you were just not very serious about it then it is a different thing but if you were working 40 hours a week and getting paid, then it is a Full-time Job. I think you are in a good shape with it. Just focus on what results were achieved (and even if the statup failed, it is fine too - those things happen all the time so important to show resilience and perseverance.)

Yes, I have been quite serious with all of them. My concern was basically because most of the universities quote the work experience to be ’Post Graduate’ but thank you for clearing it out!
Current Student
Send PM
Hello everyone! Dalal here incoming Kellogg student. I am starting in a few days actually and I am super excited to share my experience with you all and answer any questions.

Shoot your questions future Kellogg candidates

Originally posted by daldilaimi on 14 Jun 2023, 16:43.
Last edited by daldilaimi on 14 Jun 2023, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Kudos
LEOLUCCIOLA wrote:

Hey there! I’ll be starting the 2Y program this fall.

Some high level takeaways from the app process (applicable to all schools really): 1) put yourself in the position of the adcomm whos reading hundreds of applications. Stand out and make their job easier by SHOWING as much as possible NOT TELLING. With essays, use imagery and tell stories. It can feel tempting to use the word count to simply explain the answer to the question, but resist! Tell them what you learned, how you grew by giving them good stories to understand. 2) Look at the app in detail thoroughly before starting any specific component. Strategize and think about how you can bring out certain detail in certain areas. Maximize your application by thinking through all of the points of your narrative you want to get through and being deliberate about which part of the app you want it to come through. That includes your resume.

Know the themes Kellogg cares about and try to draw these out in your essays and with the work experiences you highlight. Teamwork, diversity, self-awareness, high-impact leadership to name a few.

Try to attend events and meet with current students/ alum to get their perspective - have a sense of specific courses, professors, clubs, competitions at Kellogg you’re interested in ahead of time and ask their perspective. Then you can highlight both the Kellogg-specific course/club in your app and also mention you talked to XYZ about it! Double win!

Don’t sleep on essay prep. It takes time to get your narrative out there in the best way possible. I’d recommend working with people who have been through the b-school essay writing process from the start. Get them to review or work with a consultant. Having family members or other people that don’t understand the context and how adcomms think will only be moderately helpful - may even be negatively helpful.

Hope that helps!! Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  82   
Moderators:
MBA Section Director
438 posts
Ross & Kellogg Moderator
203 posts