Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 16:16 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 16:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 949 [65]
Given Kudos: 142
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 949 [6]
Send PM
Re: **** Happens - My Journey to 770 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Responding to few PMs:

First of all "review" is very important. No matter how many mocks you do, if you are not reviewing your responses then you aren't getting all out of the CATs. I dedicated 4-5 hours review for each CAT.

My Quant Preparation:

Materials:
1. GMAT Club Math Book - that covers 90% of the fundamentals you need for exam. Rest 10% you learn when you practice questions.
2. GMAT Club Tests - They helped me to improve and scale my level each week.
3. MGMAT - They are a little tougher than actual GMAT, but they prepare you well for the test.
4. GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1 - This one closely resembles what you can expect on the real test. It has 3 levels, simple, medium and hard. I practiced them on exam mode, 6 from each level of difficulty for both DS and PS + 1 medium from PS.

I did not do OG, cause I had done OG 12/13 in my 1st attempt. They are way easier than actual GMAT.

Strategy

1. I reviewed all the incorrects and guesses, and the ones I took more than 1:30 seconds.
2. During review, I checked different solutions on GMAT Club - read all solutions to find out which methods were efficient for particular type of problem.
3. My error analysis (I read my scratch paper for my solution step) revealed - I was doing mostly calculation mistakes (flipping the equation, forgetting to carry over multiplication etc.). I became extra cautious for these steps. And whenever my answer did not match the answer choices, I looked for these steps.
4. I found my DS questions were incorrect for missing out hidden facts, I listed following items to watch out for them:

a. positive or negative
    b. Integer or fraction
    c. Prime or composite
    d. Zero or non-zero
    e. Rational or irrational
    f. Can be true or Must be true
    g. If two variables are listed - if they can be equal
    h. If two equations are provided/deducible - if both are same

After, I started looking for above details - I never got any DS question wrong.

Finally, don't get intimidated with super difficult problems in GMAT club. Even if they come, they will be one or two. You must get all the simple and medium questions correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 949 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
One more clarification, I did not take Veritas, Magoos or eGMAT courses. I did self prep, with the materials listed above.

Mike - I PMed him thru GMAT Club for any doubt I had on verbal. His answers were very elaborative and right to the bulls eye. You can follow him: members/member-231584.html

Karishma - I used most of her solution methods on quants. Her solutions are efficient and less time consuming. You can follow her: members/member-116290.html

Also, I don't think one should use so many test prep courses at all.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM
Kudos
Congratulations!

Incredible how you improved your verbal score so quickly. Any tips? I can't see WSJ being the only reason for a V31 to a V47 improvement in just two months.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
Kudos man!!. You story and mine are so much alike :) . Ofcourse you out did me by a lot :-D .. congrats again. Whats the status on Applications.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 949 [15]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Thanks all for your wishes.

Responding to few PMs.

My Verbal Prep:

I have already listed down what materials I have used. I picked my strategies from various debriefs. Followed the ones worked for me, discarded the ones that didn't.

Necessary for all sections: You must complete all OG, OG verbal, and GMAT prep question pack problems. I read each and every official explanation, irrespective whether I answered correctly. Often I found, the correct/incorrect answers were correct/incorrect for other additional reasons that I missed.

GMAT Prep Exam Pack and GMAT Prep Question pack match closely with actual exam. OG, OG Verbal, and regular 2 GMAT prep CATs are outdated. I did the former ones during my last month and they were useful.

Sentence Correction:

1. You must understand meaning of the sentence, then go for grammar checks. I encountered questions in which grammar error were tough to detect in final 2 options, but meaning wise only 1 of the two fit.
2. Re-read the complete sentence after choosing your answer to ensure that the sentence makes sense or sounds correct.
3. Pay attention to noun-verb, noun-pronoun, adverb-verb, adjective-noun pairs. These are basics. You cannot afford to loose for these.
4. Understand which tense to use when. (read SC grail)
5. Practice a lot and review why you make mistakes.
6. Do not use elimination as your primary weapon.

Critical Reasoning

1. Nothing beats CR bible. I had completed it thoroughly during 1st attempt, so used the notes and revisited the question-explanations from CR bible. This doesn't mean the note is enough. I am attaching the notes here. (p.s. I downloaded from GMAT club, no credits to me)
2. I do not use pen/paper for any verbal section. I used fingers to track eliminated answers. This saves some time.
3. Read the stimulus first, then the questions. While reading the question, if you aren't able to find the flaw, then you need to work on argument construction.
4. Read eGMAT CR topics consolidated: (they say universal truth, which I am lazy to type :P )
e-gmat-s-all-cr-topics-consolidated-168945.html

Reading Comprehension

1. I don't make notes, cause they are time consuming. Instead I summarise each paragraph in my mind.
2. While reading, please focus on how paragraphs are related to each other and to the entire text. Paragraph Purpose and Main purpose is must to be identified.
3. I read the 1st question, then read the passage. This way, at least you will be focussed to find 1st correct answer.
4. For determining role play of particular word or sentence. Read the preceding and succeeding sentences as well.
5. Do not bring outside information at all. Stay close to what is provided.
6. Look at the transition words (e.g. - yet, still, although, however, but, surprisingly, paradoxically etc)
7. Short passage are complicated, take a breathe and understand the first few lines before moving to next.

In general, do not get stuck in a question for more than 2 and half minutes. If you are not able to find the answer, then guess and move one. During practice sessions, I found that my incorrect answers had higher average time-spent.

Finally, I don't think it is possible to improve verbal from 31 to 47 in one month. Those who say that they have improved, they do not count their back ground. In my case, I did score 23, 31 and 47. However, I do not count them as improvements. I got 770 in my 1st GMAT prep exam 2 year back. It is important what you do on the test day. Be calm and do not overthink (easier said than done).

And I am not a native speaker. I am from rural India and did my schooling from state board. If I could do, anyone can do.
Attachments

CR Methods.doc [75.5 KiB]
Downloaded 345 times

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 949 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
rohanGmat wrote:
Kudos man!!. You story and mine are so much alike :) . Ofcourse you out did me by a lot :-D .. congrats again. Whats the status on Applications.

You know - I had read your debrief, a day before my exam. I sort of envied you, but also could understood your state.
I haven't started applications yet. I have to take TOEFEL first.

I haven't decided the schools yet. Have you ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 275 [0]
Given Kudos: 537
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Congratulations))) I want to clarify one point. What do you mean by saying that regular gmat prep cats are outdated. Aren't they similar to real one? By the way I noticed that sc in gmatprep is a lot different than in OG. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
ConnectTheDots wrote:
rohanGmat wrote:

You know - I had read your debrief, a day before my exam. I sort of envied you, but also could understood your state.
I haven't started applications yet. I have to take TOEFEL first.

I haven't decided the schools yet. Have you ?

Ya and now I can totally relate to yours :-D .. For schools I haven't done much, lots of confusing details and suggestions out there. Maybe if you don't mind we can be in-touch and share inputs. I also have to take the TOEFL -- always finding new ways to procrastinate :oops:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 949 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Ergenekon wrote:
Congratulations))) I want to clarify one point. What do you mean by saying that regular gmat prep cats are outdated. Aren't they similar to real one? By the way I noticed that sc in gmatprep is a lot different than in OG. Thanks.

Hi Ergenekon,

By outdated I meant - the tests are there for quite a few years and the exam has evolved in-between. For example, unlike these tests, the real exam did not have SC questions based on idioms, the CR and RC questions were quite different. I got too many 'logical completion' questions in CR, which I did not find in regular GMAT prep, also RC questions were very indirect almost like CR towards end. I did not encounter these in GMAT prep, although I scored equally well in these mocks.

Moreover, my evaluation is subjective. I have read in lot of debriefs(including few recent ones), which mentions GMAT Prep is still equivalent to actual tests. Also, I would say official questions - whether outdated - are always valuable. Just don't expect similar questions on the test day. Your correctly noticed SC in GMAT prep is different than OG, cause the OG is there for longer time than GMAT prep. Same is with GMAT prep and GMAT Prep Exam Pack/Question Pack 1.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 275 [0]
Given Kudos: 537
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
ConnectTheDots wrote:
Ergenekon wrote:

Hi Ergenekon,

By outdated I meant - the tests are there for quite a few years and the exam has evolved in-between. For example, unlike these tests, the real exam did not have SC questions based on idioms, the CR and RC questions were quite different. I got too many 'logical completion' questions in CR, which I did not find in regular GMAT prep, also RC questions were very indirect almost like CR towards end. I did not encounter these in GMAT prep, although I scored equally well in these mocks.

Moreover, my evaluation is subjective. I have read in lot of debriefs(including few recent ones), which mentions GMAT Prep is still equivalent to actual tests. Also, I would say official questions - whether outdated - are always valuable. Just don't expect similar questions on the test day. Your correctly noticed SC in GMAT prep is different than OG, cause the OG is there for longer time than GMAT prep. Same is with GMAT prep and GMAT Prep Exam Pack/Question Pack 1.

Thanks for your information. It will be very useful. By the way I took the TOEFL a year ago and scored well. If you or Rohan need any advice, feel free to ask.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 537 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Send PM
Hi, congratulation for your great score. I want to know something about GMAT prep question pack 1. I have bought it and I am also practising the questions in exam mode. My success rate in all the sections in Quant and Verbal is 80-85% in question pack. What was yours in your preparation. Actually when I take test from other prep companies such as GMAT club or 800 score, my success rate goes down and I have seen that questions in question pack 1 are different from those of these prep company. Where should I concentrate more? Do the actual GMAT questions resemble the same pattern and logic as in question pack 1. If so, I think I am prepared to take test. I should not waste any more time. Please respond.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 949 [0]
Send PM
Raihanuddin wrote:
Hi, congratulation for your great score. I want to know something about GMAT prep question pack 1. I have bought it and I am also practising the questions in exam mode. My success rate in all the sections in Quant and Verbal is 80-85% in question pack. What was yours in your preparation. Actually when I take test from other prep companies such as GMAT club or 800 score, my success rate goes down and I have seen that questions in question pack 1 are different from those of these prep company. Where should I concentrate more? Do the actual GMAT questions resemble the same pattern and logic as in question pack 1. If so, I think I am prepared to take test. I should not waste any more time. Please respond.

Hi Raihanuddin,

Your observation is correct. GMAT Prep Question and Exam Pack are close to what you can expect in real test. Coming to your test scores, I hope you are using questions of varying difficulty. If not, check the following post.

which-cat-other-than-gmatprep-and-mgmat-171234.html#p1364490

Accuracy of 80-85% in Question Pack is a good indication. This lands you in 6-8 mistakes category, which should give you 40+. The variation beyond 40 depends on which kind of question you make wrong. Missing easy question leads to heavier penalty, so check what kind of questions you are missing in your tests. Also, I hope you have taken sufficient full length CATs to familiarise the pressure and timing strategy.

Take GMAT Prep Exam Pack tests - if you are hitting your target score, go for the real deal....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 537 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Send PM
Thank you very much. Yes I do follow it. And I rarely make mistake in easy one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hard work and Perseverance helps, and your post proves that. Awesome score. Congrats Mate...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [0]
Given Kudos: 872
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
Heartiest Congratulations on your simply great score! I also saw that you got into Tepper..man..what can I say..the feeling when you see things finally falling into place...I want to feel what you feel..wish me luck..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Sounds like the huge improvement between the 2nd and 3rd tests is mostly attributed to you being calmer on the 3rd attempt. Amazing how big of a role psychology plays in this game. ;)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts