Last visit was: 22 May 2024, 22:09 It is currently 22 May 2024, 22:09
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1635 [9]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1067 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1635 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2874 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Re: A team has a record of 12 wins and 13 losses for the season. [#permalink]
the only way the team can end with a winning record is if they win all 3 games.

winning 2 games or less can in no way make wins>losses (which is necessary for condition of winning record).

therefore the probability of ending with a winning record = probability of winning all 3 games = (1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2) = 1/8

Ans: A (1/8)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1635 [0]
Send PM
anyone else wants to give it a try before the OA?
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
IMO 1/8

As the team will win the series only by winnning three games(even if it wins 2 or 1 game it will lose)

What is the OA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1635 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Oops forgot to post the OA for this one: \(A\)

All of you got it right, and there are so many ways to reach a probability solution.. here is the official approach given:
Total possible outcomes: WWW, WWL, WLW, LWW, LWL, LLW, WLL, LLL. Total 8.
Favorable outcomes: WWW. Total 1.

Probablity=1/8
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Yale, HEC
Send PM
just want to comment on gmattokyo solution: you forget to add the fact that we need 3 wins to get the wining seasons. lets say if they have 12 L and 12 W and 3 to go, all they need is 2 W and the prob is 1/4.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2401 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
sriharimurthy wrote:
the only way the team can end with a winning record is if they win all 3 games.

winning 2 games or less can in no way make wins>losses (which is necessary for condition of winning record).

therefore the probability of ending with a winning record = probability of winning all 3 games = (1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2) = 1/8

Ans: A (1/8)

I too agree with this approach. They obviously need to win the three games.

Hence, answer is (A)

Cheers!
J :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
The team will have a positive record only by winning all the three matches remained. So it's just 1/2^3 right?

Answer A
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 625933 [0]
Given Kudos: 81931
Send PM
Expert Reply
Downunder87 wrote:
The team will have a positive record only by winning all the three matches remained. So it's just 1/2^3 right?

Answer A

Yes, that is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q50 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
All the 3 games need to be won in order to get a winning streak.
So, required probability = 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/8

So, the correct answer is A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Well the question asks "winning record". If I'm not wrong, winning record would mean winning the last game. Now everyone here is speaking of winning more than 14 games out of a total of 28 or winning 3 consecutive games. However, the question stem never mentions that "winning record" means the team must fulfil either of the two conditions (Winning 3 games consecutively or winning >14 games). If a layman is to be asked, what a "finishing the season with a winning record" means, isn't the expected answer be "Winning the last game".
Can I be kindly guided by the experts regarding the ambiguity I'm facing (the ambiguity regardind the question).
Thanks a lot in advance
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 625933 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sgangs wrote:
Well the question asks "winning record". If I'm not wrong, winning record would mean winning the last game. Now everyone here is speaking of winning more than 14 games out of a total of 28 or winning 3 consecutive games. However, the question stem never mentions that "winning record" means the team must fulfil either of the two conditions (Winning 3 games consecutively or winning >14 games). If a layman is to be asked, what a "finishing the season with a winning record" means, isn't the expected answer be "Winning the last game".
Can I be kindly guided by the experts regarding the ambiguity I'm facing (the ambiguity regardind the question).
Thanks a lot in advance

The question implies that winning record is winning more games than loosing. Since the current score is 12:13, then the team must win all of its 3 remaining games in order to achieve that.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
sgangs wrote:
Thanks a lot in advance

The question implies that winning record is winning more games than loosing. Since the current score is 12:13, then the team must win all of its 3 remaining games in order to achieve that.

Hope it's clear.

Bunuel,
I have I doubt. How do we get to know whether its winning the last game or winning more games than losing the last one. I thought the GMAT was trying to lure us to 1/8 but since it asked for winning record (which I understood as winning the last game), it would be independent of the other two. Hence, the ans would be 1/2.
I do know that I'm wrong (I'm not questioning the OA, but I simply couldn't get the answer)
Either ways, thanks Bunuel for your reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 625933 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
sgangs wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
sgangs wrote:
Thanks a lot in advance

Hope it's clear.

Bunuel,
I have I doubt. How do we get to know whether its winning the last game or winning more games than losing the last one. I thought the GMAT was trying to lure us to 1/8 but since it asked for winning record (which I understood as winning the last game), it would be independent of the other two. Hence, the ans would be 1/2.
I do know that I'm wrong (I'm not questioning the OA, but I simply couldn't get the answer)
Either ways, thanks Bunuel for your reply

Finishing the season with a winning record, at least for me, naturally means winning more games than loosing...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I actually overlooked the fact that if they win only two, the third will automatically be a loss, which will increase the total losses. Sigh. Guess I have a looooong way to go...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Schools: NTU '16
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V27
Send PM
Bunuel you are correct. Then shouldn't we be looking at keeping more wins than loses? Team as of now has 12 wins and 13 loses. So shouldn't we look for winning 2 games rather than all three so that we just maintain the winning streak. Thinking in these lines i opted for answer 3/8 that is LWW, WLW and WWL. Please let me know where i am going wrong. Thanks in advance.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 625933 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sri30kanth wrote:
Bunuel you are correct. Then shouldn't we be looking at keeping more wins than loses? Team as of now has 12 wins and 13 loses. So shouldn't we look for winning 2 games rather than all three so that we just maintain the winning streak. Thinking in these lines i opted for answer 3/8 that is LWW, WLW and WWL. Please let me know where i am going wrong. Thanks in advance.

The team must finish the whole season with a winning record, if it wins 2 and losses 1, then it finishes the season with 14 wins and 14 losses, which is NOT a winning record. Only winning all 3 games guarantees a winning record.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 530 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
gmattokyo wrote:
A team has a record of 12 wins and 13 losses for the season. Three games remain. If the probability of winning each remaining game is 1/2, and there are no draws, what is the probability that the team will finish the season with a winning record ?

A. 1/8
B. 1/4
C. 3/8
D. 1/2
E. 5/8

I got 1/8. Came up with the same solution as everyone else. Thanks for the question.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Math Expert
93405 posts