Last visit was: 08 Jun 2024, 11:42 It is currently 08 Jun 2024, 11:42
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Which one would you recommend for PT MBA for a Career Change

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: GMAT 720. MS Mechanical 4 years FT work ex [#permalink]
Kudos
kulkarninik4 wrote:
As far as I have researched, Ross part time program gives you all the facilities of a full time program and hence its easy to find even management consulting jobs through the career services.

I am curious to know that, if a PT MBA does not offer any significant growth in your career or does not allow change of careers, why would so many people do it? I am sure the two biggest reasons why people choose to go for an MBA are either a focus on Career change or Career growth. After all you are putting tons of money into it so surely it must have equivalent return of investment. I am on H1B Visa and hence I cannot go for FT MBA because that would mean a change in the visa status which would further complicate matters. I so wish I was born in this country!!

As I said before, anything is possible, but I've never heard of recruiting efforts of big consulting firms targeted at PT students. I might be wrong, but I don't think there are any. Once you complete your degree, you can apply to any of those firms, but it's never going to be easy. It's not easy even if you go to Harvard or Stanford.

PT MBAs are a different program. Why do you think recruiters should believe a two year course on weekends with classes every other weekend is the same from a full-time, immersive, 2-year MBA? It's not the same thing, so you shouldn't expect the same rewards.
People get PT MBAs due to a number of reasons, but career change is not one of them for most people.

Then again, it's your time and your money. If you do your homework and still believe it's what you need, then by all means go for it!
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2067 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: GMAT 720. MS Mechanical 4 years FT work ex [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hey,
I totally agree with bizwiz here that if you want a career change, PT programs are NOT the way to go. If you would be happy with progress in your industry and don't want to take the time off for a FT program, then it can be perfect for you (although yes, as you mentioned, prestige is not as high, cause it is easier to get in). So one of your goals is totally feasible and makes great sense. The other.... a bit less, not unless you got for a FT program.

So what is it you really want? And what are your considerations?

Best,
JF
Moderator:
Admissionado
9233 posts