Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 06:13 It is currently 08 May 2024, 06:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 336 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: My Supervisor Graduated from HBS – He [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: My Supervisor Graduated from HBS – He Knows!
We know of a now 70-year-old man who graduated from a virtually unknown Canadian undergraduate school in 1963 and who—with no work experience at all—applied to Harvard Business School (HBS), Wharton, and the Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB), earning acceptance at all three (though the GSB deferred his entry for one year so he could earn a little more experience first). He ultimately studied at HBS and now runs a small grain-trading business. You could not meet a nicer man, and although he is certainly wise in many respects, one thing he knows nothing about is MBA admissions. “I attended so long ago, things must have changed since then,” he says. “I did not have any work experience at all. I had studied four years of commerce, and that was it!”

Why are we telling you this? Many candidates each year tell us that their boss, who applied to business school during far different times, has given them “sage” advice about applying and that they feel they should follow it—after all, what worked for their boss in 1966, 1976, 1986, or even 1996 must still be applicable today, right? Wrong.

For a long time, the MBA was actually not all that desirable a degree, so admissions was not really all that competitive. To give you an idea of the relative popularity, Duke University (Fuqua) did not even start its MBA program until 1970, but its law school was founded in 1868. Yale University was founded in 1701, but it did not have an MBA program until 1976. So, the MBA is a relatively new degree that has only fairly recently (as of the late 1990s) reached its current level of popularity and prestige.

What does all this mean with regard to your boss’s advice? Although your supervisor may have gotten into one of your target schools, he/she likely did so years ago and therefore may not have had to contend with the steep competition you now face. Your boss may also not know anything about what the admissions process is like today and could be—however inadvertently—leading you astray. If your supervisor starts any bit of his/her well-intended advice with the phrase “when I applied,” you should view the subsequent declaration with tremendous caution.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
GMAT Impact: Testing Accommodations on the GMAT [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: GMAT Impact: Testing Accommodations on the GMAT
With regard to the GMAT, raw intellectual horsepower helps, but it is not everything. In this weekly blog series, Manhattan GMAT’s Stacey Koprince teaches you how to perform at your best on test day by using some common sense.

Do you qualify for testing accommodations on the GMAT? Or do you think you might?

Broadly speaking, the term accommodations refers to altering the testing conditions for a particular student to “level the playing field” for that student. Someone with serious vision problems, for example, may need some kind of altered test format to read the test questions. These accommodations do not make the test easier for the student; rather, they make the test possible at the same level as for a regular student.

What is the process for applying for testing accommodations, and how are the decisions made? Glad you asked. I have spent the past couple months reading everything I can find and talking to representatives from GMAC. In addition, I spoke with a psychologist who deals with various kinds of learning disabilities.

All this research culminated in our unofficial GMAT Testing Accommodations Encyclopedia! I’ll give you the highlights here and then link to the full article at the end.

GMAC lists five main categories of issues covered (in alphabetical order) and also offers an “other” category (if you feel your particular issue does not fit into one of these five areas).

The general application process is the same for all categories, but the material required to document your condition can vary, and the full article (linked to at the end) covers these details.

What qualifies… and what does not?

No easy answer to this question exists. The overarching issue, according to both Dr. Teresa Elliott of GMAC and private psychologist Dr. Tova Elberg, is a condition that results in some kind of impaired functioning in daily life that meets the criteria of the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) and the DSM-IV or DSM-V.

A diagnosis by itself is not enough, though. The condition must be shown to affect current functioning, and this impact must be documented carefully.

Everyone was very clear that a diagnosis does not necessarily mean that someone qualifies for testing accommodations. The diagnosis must result in functional impairment that has an impact on daily work and living situations in general, not just testing situations. This is precisely why the application asks you to explain how a particular issue or disability affects your current functioning across work and academic settings.

Many additional nuances must be considered, so dive into our GMAT Testing Accommodations Encyclopedia, and let us know if you have any questions or comments!
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Monday Morning Essay Tip: Never Use “Etc.” [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Monday Morning Essay Tip: Never Use “Etc.”
As a general rule, “etc.” should never appear in the text of your MBA application essays. Consider the following sentences:

• I helped draft prospectuses, analyze key company data, value companies, etc.
  • I look forward to courses such as “Small Business Management,” “Leading Teams,” “Multiparty Negotiations,” etc.
In the first example, “etc.” replaces information that the reader values. The reader cannot make the leap and just assume where the writer’s experiences lead and what they include. In the second example, “etc.” trivializes the school’s resources and may even suggest to the admissions committee that the applicant is just too lazy (or disinterested!) to properly do his/her research.

We are at a loss to think of one instance in which “etc.” could be used appropriately in a business school essay. Very simply, ensure that your essays do not include this term.
Send PM
Get 50% Off mbaMission Guides Friday Through Monday with Code [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Get 50% Off mbaMission Guides Friday Through Monday with Code
Thanksgiving is upon us, and we here at mbaMission are celebrating by offering an exclusive discount on all our Insider’s, Interview, and Admissions Guides.

From midnight on Black Friday (11/28) through 11:59 p.m. EST on Cyber Monday (12/1), when you buy one or several of the guides in our store, you can take 50% off your total purchase price by entering a special code. Stay tuned to our blog, Facebook, and Twitter feed for Friday’s midnight code release. Do not miss this rare opportunity to get these valuable MBA application resources for a minimal cost. Happy Thanksgiving from all of us to all of you!

This discount is available for new guide orders only. Purchase must be made between 12:00 a.m. EST Friday (11/28/2014) and 11:59 p.m. EST Monday (12/1/2014) using the special code.

Send PM
Mission Admission: Finishing Your Recommendations on Time [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Mission Admission: Finishing Your Recommendations on Time
Mission Admission is a series of MBA admission tips; a new one is posted each Tuesday.

As Round 2 application deadlines approach, many candidates find themselves immersed in stress, busy juggling multiple essays and constantly revising their resume. Often in the midst of all this, an alarming question suddenly springs to mind: “What if my supervisors do not get their letters done by the deadline?”

In our opinion, the easiest way to ensure that your recommenders complete their letters on time is to present them with your own deadline—one that is a bit earlier than the school’s—when you first ask them to provide a recommendation for you. If the application to your school of choice is due on January 15, for example, tell your recommenders that you are submitting on January 8. (Incidentally, submitting your application early can be good for your sanity as well.) By setting this advanced deadline, you can put some additional pressure on your recommender on the 8th if he/she has not yet finished the letter, so you should still be able to submit on time (i.e., by the school’s official deadline).

Most people work to deadlines. Alleviate unnecessary stress by setting your recommenders’ deadlines one week early, and “enjoy” the application process a little bit more.

For more information on properly selecting, communicating with and managing your recommenders, check out our Letters of Recommendation Guide.
Send PM
MBA Career Advice: Find the Boundaries of Your Comfort Zone [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Career Advice: Find the Boundaries of Your Comfort Zone
We live inside well-defined boundaries. That is just how it is for humans. This desk is mine; that one is yours. This house is where I sleep, and you sleep in another one. I hold onto this bar right here to balance myself on my morning subway commute, and you, by definition will have to put your hand somewhere else. These physical boundaries are an inherent part of reality, and that is a good thing.

But sometimes we act like conceptual boundaries are just as real as these physical ones. Our comfort zone is one such boundary. Anyone who has ever been skydiving, paragliding or bungee jumping will tell you that the notion that you can’t jump off a cliff or out of plane is actually an illusion. With the right support and apparatus, it is not only possible, but exhilarating. What was formerly a very tangible boundary – the cliff’s edge or the airplane’s door – becomes a gateway instead.

So what are the airplanes doors and cliffs in your job right now? What are the boundaries you have imposed on yourself in your work? Where are the limits of your comfort zone? They are easy to find if you think about what you already do well because we tend to be comfortable when we know what we are doing. Are you a quant jock? Then challenging conversations that involve human emotion such as giving constructive feedback or influencing stakeholders to change their behavior might be outside of your comfort zone. Are your soft skills in tip top shape? Then stepping up to a role where your success is contingent entirely on complex data analysis might seem like jumping off a cliff.

Do we need to say that it’s time to push those personal boundaries? Find your limits and extend your comfort zone. Do it with the right support and apparatus. Engage your boss and mentors in your process. Tell people that you aim to challenge yourself and ask them to give you constructive feedback as you go. If you do it bravely and with an earnest attempt to grow, you will quickly extend your boundaries. Your comfort zone will expand. When that happens, start at the top of this post and do it again. Then again and again and again. There will always be more boundaries to discover and you will achieve everything you want from your career, if you keep seeking them out and then methodically extending them.
Send PM
Professor Profiles: George Geis, UCLA Anderson School of Management [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Professor Profiles: George Geis, UCLA Anderson School of Management
Many MBA applicants feel that they are purchasing a brand when they choose an MBA program to attend, but the educational experience itself is what is crucial to your future, and no one will affect your education more than your professors. Each Wednesday, we profile a standout professor as identified by students. Today, we profile George Geis at the UCLA Anderson School of Management.

George T. Geis
(“Entrepreneurship and Venture Initiation”) has been voted Outstanding Teacher of the Year five times while at UCLA Anderson and currently serves as faculty director of the school’s Executive Mergers and Acquisitions Program. Geis is also the editor of a Web site that provides analysis of mergers and acquisitions deals in technology, media, and communications (www.Trivergence.com) and writes a mergers and acquisitions blog (https://maprofessor.blogspot.com). One alumnus described him to mbaMission as an experienced investor and a funny and credible guy. The graduate added that he had very much enjoyed the guest speakers Geis brought to class, as well as the strategic analysis of the board game industry, covered in a case discussion about the game Trivial Pursuit. In 2012, Geis received a teaching excellence award in the full-time MBA program, as voted on by second years.

For more information about the UCLA Anderson School of Management and 15 other top-ranked MBA schools, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
MBA News: Indian School of Business Awarding Ten Merit-Based Tuition W [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA News: Indian School of Business Awarding Ten Merit-Based Tuition Waivers
Our friends at the Indian School of Business (ISB) recently brought to our attention that the program has added ten new merit-based full-tuition waivers to its already large pool of more than 100 fee waivers and scholarships available for the 2015–2016 academic year.

Prospective ISB students can now apply for the following:

• Ten merit-based full-tuition waivers (2 million Indian rupees each)
  • 50–60 merit based waivers (0.5–1 million Indian rupees each)
  • 40–50 need-based waivers (0.5 million Indian rupees each)
  • Two AIESEC waivers (1 million Indian rupees each), for AIESEC alumni only
  • Multiple corporate-sponsored and other additional scholarships
Get more comprehensive details about the ISB’s various tuition waivers on the school’s Web site.
Send PM
Beyond the MBA Classroom: The HBS Show [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Beyond the MBA Classroom: The HBS Show
When you select an MBA program, you are not just choosing your learning environment, but are also committing to becoming part of a community. Each Thursday, we offer a window into life “beyond the MBA classroom” at a top business school.

First presented at Harvard Business School (HBS) in 1974, the HBS Show is a popular student-run comedy production that follows the tradition of Harvard College’s Hasty Pudding Show and Harvard Law School’s Parody. This extremely well-attended show is a major production that pokes fun at life at HBS, incorporating joking—but good-natured—references to case protagonists, professors, administrators, and the recruiting process. A spouse of one HBS student who helped organize the 2012 production wrote on her blog, “It was a great outlet for business school students to roast their own school—the whole performance was based on The Godfather but with a zillion HBS inside jokes thrown in.” Featured among the HBS Show film productions in 2014 was a parody of Charlie & the Chocolate Factory titled “Charlie & the ‘Leaders Who Make a Difference in the World’ Factory.”

For in-depth descriptions of social and community activities at HBS and 15 other top MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
Diamonds in the Rough: Innovative Opportunities at the Merage School o [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Diamonds in the Rough: Innovative Opportunities at the Merage School of Business at UC-Irvine
MBA applicants can get carried away with rankings. In this series, we profile amazing programs at business schools that are typically ranked outside the top 15.

Thanks to its proximity to the Tech Coast, the Paul Merage School of Business at the University of California, Irvine, offers significant opportunities for students with an eye toward innovative business. “Whether it’s fashion, interactive entertainment, real estate, medical, or biotech,” states the school’s site, “Orange County is where these industries flourish.” Indeed, an emphasis on innovation and business pioneering is built directly into what Merage calls its “visionary curriculum,” supplementing conventional business disciplines with three core, cross-disciplinary areas: Strategic Innovation, Information Technology, and Analytic Decision Making.

In addition, several of Merage’s special course offerings and programs showcase the school’s commitment to putting students in contact with the rapidly shifting face of business. The EDGE course, for example, which can be taken during students’ second year of study, offers a notable opportunity to gain cutting-edge insight into the relationship between business trends, globalization, and technology. Similarly, through the school’s MBA Field Project, students have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience with current business practices by working directly with locally based global companies. Merage students can also participate each year in the university-wide Business Plan Competition, whose winner claims $15,000 in funding for his/her proposed start-up venture.
Send PM
Black Friday Exclusive: Use This Code to Get 50% Off All mbaMission Gu [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Black Friday Exclusive: Use This Code to Get 50% Off All mbaMission Guides!
As we announced earlier this week, to celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday, we are offering a special Black Friday–Cyber Monday discount on all the guides in our store! From now until 11:59 p.m. EST on Monday, December 1, you can receive 50% off your total purchase of any mbaMission Insider’sInterview, or Admissions Guides by using the following code at checkout:

mbamthanks

This discount is available for new guide orders only. Purchase must be made between 12:00 a.m. EST Friday (11/28/2014) and 11:59 p.m. EST Monday (12/1/2014) using the special code above.
Send PM
Friday Factoid: See the World on an M-Trek at Michigan Ross [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Friday Factoid: See the World on an M-Trek at Michigan Ross
For incoming first-year students at the University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business who want to get a head start on building friendships within their class or make use of some time off before school begins, the M-Trek program may be just the answer. M-Treks, which were first offered in 1999, are small-group, multiday, outdoor adventure trips that take place before the academic year begins. Organized in locations around the world, the trips are entirely student led (by second-year MBA students) and are designed to provide a team-based environment similar to that found at Ross and to promote leadership in a team setting. M-Treks look to be as inclusive as possible—trips are available to suit a wide variety of interests and thus range from hard-core adventure to relaxing sightseeing excursions.

Treks taken in 2014 have included “Bal-Kan You Handle This!?” (during which students hiked peaks in Montenegro and biked through the Lustica peninsula) and “Czech Yoself Before You Wreck Yoself” (an exploration of Vienna and Prague). Trips in 2013 featured “A Taste of Turkey,” “Alaskan (Mis)Adventures,” and “One in Brazillion.” During 2012’s “Hold Me Closer Thai-ny Dancer,” students visited Bangkok’s Floating Market, the rainforest in Krabi and the beaches in Phuket. In 2011, one standout M-Trek was “Diamonds Are Forever,” a trip to eight cities in North America to visit the oldest, most legendary ballparks as well as the new classic ones, while another was “It Takes YOU to Tango,” which took participants throughout Argentina, from a bike tour of Buenos Aires to a cattle ranch to Iguassu Falls National Park.

So, whether you are interested in hiking and rafting in Iceland or beaching and snorkeling in Mexico, M-Treks provide a chance to build friendships and develop leadership skills while having a great time.

For more information on other defining characteristics of the MBA program at Michigan Ross or one of 15 other top business schools, please check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
GMAT Impact: Mastering Official Guide Sentence Correction Problems [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: GMAT Impact: Mastering Official Guide Sentence Correction Problems
With regard to the GMAT, raw intellectual horsepower helps, but it is not everything. In this weekly blog series, Manhattan GMAT’s Stacey Koprince teaches you how to perform at your best on test day by using some common sense.

Are you struggling to improve your Sentence Correction (SC) performance? Do you love studying official problems but hate trying to decipher the sometimes mystifying official explanations? Do you want to throw your Official Guide for GMAT Review, 13th Edition (OG13), across the room when you read yet another explanation that says an answer choice is “wordy” or “awkward”?

Manhattan Prep’s book The Official Guide Companion for Sentence Correction (OGSC) contains, among other things, our own explanations for every single one of the 159 SC problems contained in the OG13.

If something is “awkward,” there is a real reason why—and we explain that specific reason to you so that you can start to pick out similar faulty constructions in other problems in the future. (Did you know that most of the time, “wordy” and “awkward” are code words for an ambiguous or illogical meaning? The OGSC will help you learn to decipher these for yourself!)

We also tell you the SC process for getting through any SC question efficiently and effectively. We discuss how to eliminate each wrong answer in terms that are easy for students (not just teachers) to understand. The book also includes an extra section on sentence structure and a glossary of common grammar terms.

In addition, OG Archer, our Official Guide study companion program, now contains all these explanations. If you already have access to OG Archer, you can view these explanations immediately. (If you are in one of our study programs, including our nine-week classes, tutoring or guided self-study programs, then you already have access to Archer. If you have never used it, start today!)

If you want to get a hard copy of the book, it is available on our site and on Amazon.
Send PM
MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: The Admissions Committee’s Glass Is 99 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: The Admissions Committee’s Glass Is 99% Empty!
“I was the first in my class to be promoted at McKinsey. I have a 710 GMAT score and completed Level 1 of the CFA exam, but I had a B- in calculus during my freshman year. Will that grade ruin my chances for admission?”

“My company has been under a hiring and promotion freeze for the past three years, but during that time, I have earned pay increases and survived successive rounds of layoffs. Will the admissions committee accept someone who has not been promoted?”

“I have been promoted, but my company changed names. Will the admissions committee think I am going somewhere at a sketchy company?”

Although these questions may seem somewhat silly—the individuals’ strengths are obvious and their “weaknesses” comparatively innocuous—we get asked about scenarios like these every day. In short, we can assure you that your candidacy, even at vaunted schools like Harvard Business School and the Stanford Graduate School of Business, is not rendered tenuous by such trivial “shortcomings.” Admissions officers do not consider you guilty until proven innocent, and they are not looking for trivial reasons to exclude you from contention.

Many candidates have mythologized the “perfect” applicant and fear that any small area of concern means that they do not measure up to this myth—and thus that their candidacy is insufficient. Rather than fixating on small details that in truth are inconsequential, you should think about the big picture with respect to your overall competitiveness.
Send PM
Monday Morning Essay Tip: Why You Should Show, Rather Than Tell [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Monday Morning Essay Tip: Why You Should Show, Rather Than Tell
You may have heard the old journalistic maxim “Show, don’t tell,” which demands that writers truly illustrate the actions involved in an event or story rather than simply stating the results of what happened.

Tell (results oriented):

“I arrived at ABC Bank and took on a great deal of responsibility in corporate lending. I managed diverse clients in my first year and earned the recognition of my manager. Because of my hard work, initiative, and leadership, he placed me on the management track, and I knew that I would be a success in this challenging position.”

In these three sentences, the reader is told that the applicant “took on a great deal of responsibility,” “managed diverse clients,” and “earned recognition,” though none of these claims are substantiated via the story. Further, we are given no real evidence of the writer’s “hard work, initiative, and leadership.”

Show (action oriented):

“Almost immediately after joining ABC bank, I took a risk in asking management for the accounts left behind by a recently transferred manager. I soon expanded our lending relationships with a children’s clothing retailer, a metal recycler, and a food distributor, making decisions on loans of up to $1M. Although I had a commercial banking background, I sought the mentorship of our district manager and studied aggressively for the CFA exam (before and after 14-hour days at the office); I was encouraged when the lending officer cited my initiative and desire to learn, placing me on our management track.”

In this second example, we see evidence of the writer’s “great deal of responsibility” (client coverage, $1M lending decisions) and “diverse clients” (a children’s clothing retailer, a metal recycler, and a food distributor). Further, the candidate’s “hard work, initiative, and leadership” are clearly illustrated throughout.

The second example paragraph is more interesting, rich, and humble—and more likely to captivate the reader. By showing your actions in detail, you ensure that your reader draws the desired conclusions about your skills and accomplishments, because the necessary facts are included to facilitate this. Essentially, facts become your evidence!
Send PM
Mission Admission: Waitlist Strategies, Part 1 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Mission Admission: Waitlist Strategies, Part 1
Mission Admission is a series of MBA admission tips; a new one is posted each Tuesday.

In recent weeks, many candidates have received a response from MBA admissions committees that can sometimes be far more frustrating than a rejection: “You have been placed on our waitlist.” So what should you do when your status is uncertain? The first and most important thing is to listen to the admissions committee. If the committee tells you not to send follow-up material of any sort, then do not yield to temptation and send material that you think will bolster your case. If you (misguidedly) choose to do so after being specifically instructed not to, you will most definitely identify yourself in a negative way—not the type of message you want to send to the group that will decide your fate.

Does this rule have any exceptions? Yes, actually. If you know a current student or an alumnus/alumna who can tactfully, diplomatically, and independently work on your behalf, you can have this third party write a letter to or otherwise contact the admissions committee in support of your candidacy. But again, this is acceptable only if this individual truly understands the delicate nature of the interaction. If you have no such person on your side, you will have to wait patiently, as difficult as that may be.

Next Week: Responding to admissions committees that do accept additional information.
Send PM
MBA Career Advice: Interviews are Not a Test [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Career Advice: Interviews are Not a Test
In this weekly series, our friends at MBA Career Coaches will be dispensing invaluable advice to help you actively manage your career. Topics include building your network, learning from mistakes and setbacks, perfecting your written communication, and mastering even the toughest interviews. For more information or to sign up for a free career consultation, visit www.mbacareercoaches.com.

One of the most powerful things we learn as we go through interviews in our professional life is that perspective matters. The perspective you have will influence your attitude, your behavior, and your performance in an interview.

Most people have the perspective that an interview is a test. They think of the interviewer as a judge or evaluator, scrutinizing their skills, strengths, weaknesses, character, and experiences and deciding whether they are worthy or good enough to proceed further. It is natural to think of an interview this way because, indeed, the outcome of an interview is either a pass to the next round or a rejection.

But if you think about your own experience as a person in conversation with others, you will know that this perspective is not the whole story. Certainly, you will remember times that you judged others and evaluated them in a conversation. But, you will likely also remember times that you were disarmed by a story someone told and felt a strong connection to them as a person. For reasons you couldn’t quite explain, you thought: “I just like this guy (or girl)!!”

That is because we are all human, and history and science have proven that human decision making is governed more by emotions than by rational or analytical thought processes. What this means is that an interview is not really a test. The interviewer will be influenced more by how he or she feels about you than by the content of what you say.

So what if you adopted the perspective that the interview is just the first step in a new relationship? What if you thought of your interviewer as a future friend and colleague and the interview as the first conversation of many you will have with him or her throughout your career? Wouldn’t that make an interview a more interesting exchange? Wouldn’t it be more fun? Wouldn’t that make it easier for you to just relax and share yourself openly? And, wouldn’t that in turn engender more trust and affinity on the part of your interviewer?

The thing about perspective is that it can never be right or wrong. It is a choice. If you choose to think of the interview as a test, you will have to deal with the consequences of that choice, including increased discomfort, performance anxiety and stress. But, if you choose to see it as the first step in a relationship with a friend, then you will likely treat it as the open dialogue and exchange of ideas it is truly meant to be. And – perhaps it goes without saying – make the important emotional connection more readily, leading to better results in the process.
   1  ...  21   22   23   24   25  ...  179   
Moderator:
1455 posts