Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 18:46 It is currently 08 May 2024, 18:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [2]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.18
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Send PM
Re: Scored 710 (Q49, V38) but trying to move up to 760. Any advice? [#permalink]
alexau wrote:
First of all, congrats on the great score! I hope to have the same success as you did.

Second, thanks for posting back! Appreciate your input and perspective on this. I definitely began to freak out a little after I had 3 brutal IR problems in a row. Have to make sure to keep that in check next time around.

Are there any sources you particularly liked for reading? Would love to know what you read leading up to the exam.

What particularly did you use from Kaplan and GMATPill for IR? Would you recommend it for a 1-month IR boost? I took a class with Veritas and have the Powerscore CR Bible and MGMAT SC book which I both thought were great. I think the main reason my score was a bit lower than expecting was that I unexpectedly bombed the RC questions.

Really just trying to do as much verbal as possible for the next month and keep quant where it is (maybe up a point on a good day).

IR is a pain because it seems that as many problems as you can do, you can never prepare for a bad IR session. Don't worry much about IR and just make sure you get a 5+ on the section. Business schools focus on the main score!

As far as RC, that's probably the easiest section of verbal to prepare for but if you are tired or the topics are uninteresting to you, you will not do as well as you could. To some degree, this is luck on the exam. I would suggest reading The Economist, the New York Times, and such publications. I read a lot of advanced, technical material for the CFA and CAIA designations that I am pursuing currently as well. Those usually provide me sufficient exposure to well-written material. Plus, I've always been a reader!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Scored 710 (Q49, V38) but trying to move up to 760. Any advice? [#permalink]
SilverBull wrote:
IR is a pain because it seems that as many problems as you can do, you can never prepare for a bad IR session. Don't worry much about IR and just make sure you get a 5+ on the section. Business schools focus on the main score!

As far as RC, that's probably the easiest section of verbal to prepare for but if you are tired or the topics are uninteresting to you, you will not do as well as you could. To some degree, this is luck on the exam. I would suggest reading The Economist, the New York Times, and such publications. I read a lot of advanced, technical material for the CFA and CAIA designations that I am pursuing currently as well. Those usually provide me sufficient exposure to well-written material. Plus, I've always been a reader!

Yea, I was trying to tell myself just to forget about IR since I figured I got at least a 5. I was usually rock solid on RC but mussed have missed something (my percentile was unbelievably low). Definitely more worried about SC. Gonna try to just read every single day to really nail down RC.

Any tips for SC or CR?

Thanks for all of your insight.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Send PM
alexau wrote:
SilverBull wrote:

Yea, I was trying to tell myself just to forget about IR since I figured I got at least a 5. I was usually rock solid on RC but mussed have missed something (my percentile was unbelievably low). Definitely more worried about SC. Gonna try to just read every single day to really nail down RC.

Any tips for SC or CR?

Thanks for all of your insight.

I think CR and SC are all about repetition while RC is about being alert and focused for longer periods of time. I highly suggest GMATPill for SC. I believe most services do CR well but there really isn't any substitute to grinding away at problems and rereading the answers once you are done. There really are just so many ways that they can trick you in SC and CR. I've been killing CR sections since I began the GMAT. I was horrible at SC at first but after enough grinding it made much more sense to me.

And, again, RC will get better once you read more often and stay alert. You need to convince your brain that what you are reading is the most interesting passage of all time even if it's not. No idea how many passages on DNA I had to read before my 760. I never want to read anything on chemistry ever again!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
SilverBull wrote:
I think CR and SC are all about repetition while RC is about being alert and focused for longer periods of time. I highly suggest GMATPill for SC. I believe most services do CR well but there really isn't any substitute to grinding away at problems and rereading the answers once you are done. There really are just so many ways that they can trick you in SC and CR. I've been killing CR sections since I began the GMAT. I was horrible at SC at first but after enough grinding it made much more sense to me.

And, again, RC will get better once you read more often and stay alert. You need to convince your brain that what you are reading is the most interesting passage of all time even if it's not. No idea how many passages on DNA I had to read before my 760. I never want to read anything on chemistry ever again!

I will definitely take a look at GMATPill for SC. Couldn't agree more about CR and RC. For RC you really need to convince yourself that the article is interesting.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: McCombs
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V40
GPA: 2.99
WE:Education (Consulting)
Send PM
Leave well-enough alone! So much stress in this site. =( Take a deep breath. Relax, already! =) I feel like an Agony Aunt.
GMAT Club Bot