Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 21:16 It is currently 02 May 2024, 21:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [16]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.05
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT Date: 03-06-2015
GPA: 3.29
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: Admit after 2 Years and 12 Dings [#permalink]
Congrats on the admit offers! Your perseverance is admirable! If you end up going to Johnson I'll hopefully see you around!

By the way, out of curiosity, what was your answer to why MBA? What do you wanna do after b-school?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Send PM
dtse86 wrote:
Congrats on the admit offers! Your perseverance is admirable! If you end up going to Johnson I'll hopefully see you around!

By the way, out of curiosity, what was your answer to why MBA? What do you wanna do after b-school?

Thank you, I'm very excited about the opportunity, and you very well may see me in the fall!

Through the application process, I've expressed my desire to eventually own my own company, and I have a few ideas I elaborate upon. However, I have no experience in important business areas like finance, marketing, and investment, so I want to become a consultant for a few years to expose me to more industries, problems, and cultures while allowing me to practice applying what I've learned in my MBA program. My hope is that the experience will help improve the chances that when I do start a company, it's successful.

That response is completely honest, but the story regarding how I arrived there is more complicated. I'll write more about it in the future.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2130 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Congratulations! And thank you for great story. It is similar to mine, which I will write soon.
Good luck !
+1 kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Send PM
Thank you for writing this. My stats:

- Schools applied to: 16 (in two years, applied to Johnson twice, so total 17 apps)
- Interview invites: 10 (twice from Johnson)
- Waitlisted: 8 times (twice by Johnson)
- Dings: 11 (including dings from waitlist)
- Admits: 3 (All received in March 2015)

This Bschool admissions game is not for me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
bradmra wrote:
With out getting to personal, what was your College GPA and GMAT?

i'd think so
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
kboejoe wrote:
I was pumped just to hear that McCombs wanted to interview me, then I heard the same from Johnson, Olin, and Tepper. My interviews are done, and I’ve been accepted at Olin and Johnson, even with an invite to scholarship weekend from the latter. I’ve been dinged (see, I’m learning some terms) from SOM and Stern.

All said and done, I’ve submitted 16 applications to some of the best institutions on the planet. Even if I’m admitted to McCombs and Tepper, I’ll be sitting at a 75% failure rate, and I’m stupidly happy with that. In no other field is someone happy with a 25% success rate. Batters hitting .250 or basketball players shooting 25% from three point range are probably like “meh”, but that’s the best part of getting into business school. We’ve competed for spots with some of the most intelligent, creative, kind, hardworking, and charismatic people in our generation, and as long as we’ve applied to schools we honestly want to attend, we only need one to say yes in order for our emotional state and lives to be changed dramatically.

I guess my point is that I believe I was dinged (12 times) not because I’m not a good candidate, but because I didn’t find a way to present myself in a way that really represented me, and maybe because I didn’t find the right people to listen. If you’ve been dinged, I imagine the same goes for you. While you wait, don't forget to love the things you've done that make you a candidate at all.

Congrats to you. Your story of perseverance is impressive. Thanks for sharing!
GMAT Club Bot