Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 18:53 It is currently 14 May 2024, 18:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16972 [31]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16972 [4]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2763 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: If 25% of the employees at a firm did not take a vacation last year, [#permalink]
Kudos
To make things simpler let us assume employees at a firm be 100.
employees who took vacation are 75.
1. this statement gives the information that the no of employees who took vacation and ( out of those1/3) who received promotion is 25. thereby it is 25% percent of the employees received a promotion. Stmt 1 is sufficient.
2.This gives the info that out of people who did not get promotion, those who attended vacation is 5 times the no of people who did not attend vacation. This does not give us enough info to solve the question.

Stmt 1 is sufficient. Answer is A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [4]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Re: If 25% of the employees at a firm did not take a vacation last year, [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
This is how I approached it to get to Answer = C:

Let's assume there are 100 employees
Given - 25 No Vacay & 75 took vacay
1)
1 in every 3 vacay employees got promoted ---->25 & 50 didn't get promotion. At this point we can't say what % of folks got promotion, so insufficient
2)
Given 50 is 500% of No Vacay folks who didn't get promoted
So 25 folks took no vacay…some got promoted and some did not.
Let x be the # of folks in the category of no vacay + no promo
so, 50 = 5 * (25-x)….hence, x = 15.....Again 2 alone is not sufficient to answer

1) + 2)
So, in total how many people got promoted = 10+25
Thus, 35% got promoted & Therefore both statements considered together are SUFFICIENT.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [2]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Kudos
According to me,the answer should be C. However the number of people who are promoted is coming out to be 40% of the total.

Cheers :-D
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16972 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
kunals31: You answered the question right and your analysis was spot-on till the very last sentence. Please have a look at the red part in your solution below:

kunals31 wrote:
The people who took a vacation as well as got a promotion is 25%. Hence, the people who took a vacation but did not get a promotion is 50%. This means that the people who neither took a vacation nor got a promotion is 10% of the total. Thus, the people who got a promotion but did not take a vacation is (100-50-25-10)%, i.e. 15%. This means that the number of people who got a promotion is 35% of the total.

Thus, both statements considered together are SUFFICIENT.

The correct % of people who got a promotion is 40%. Had this been a PS question, even this mistake in the last step would have led to you marking a wrong answer choice.

Mechmeera: This 25% number refers to the number of employees who took a vacation AND got a promotion. What about the employees who didn't take a vacation and got a promotion?

Mechmeera wrote:
1. this statement gives the information that the no of employees who took vacation and ( out of those1/3) who received promotion is 25. thereby it is 25% percent of the employees received a promotion. Stmt 1 is sufficient.

rohitd80: You got the answer right but please have a look at the red part in your solution below. The correct equation would have been 50 = 5x. This would have led you to the total % of promoted people = 40%

rohitd80 wrote:
2)
so, 50 = 5 * (25-x)….hence, x = 15.....Again 2 alone is not sufficient to answer

1) + 2)
Thus, 35% got promoted & Therefore both statements considered together are SUFFICIENT.

anewbeginning: You were absolutely right! :-D

I hope you guys found this discussion useful! :)

Japinder
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2763 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
kunals31: You answered the question right and your analysis was spot-on till the very last sentence. Please have a look at the red part in your solution below:

kunals31 wrote:
The people who took a vacation as well as got a promotion is 25%. Hence, the people who took a vacation but did not get a promotion is 50%. This means that the people who neither took a vacation nor got a promotion is 10% of the total. Thus, the people who got a promotion but did not take a vacation is (100-50-25-10)%, i.e. 15%. This means that the number of people who got a promotion is 35% of the total.

Thus, both statements considered together are SUFFICIENT.

The correct % of people who got a promotion is 40%. Had this been a PS question, even this mistake in the last step would have led to you marking a wrong answer choice.

Mechmeera: This 25% number refers to the number of employees who took a vacation AND got a promotion. What about the employees who didn't take a vacation and got a promotion?

Mechmeera wrote:

rohitd80: You got the answer right but please have a look at the red part in your solution below. The correct equation would have been 50 = 5x. This would have led you to the total % of promoted people = 40%

rohitd80 wrote:
2)

1) + 2)

anewbeginning: You were absolutely right! :-D

I hope you guys found this discussion useful! :)

Japinder

Thanks for the pointing the mistake.
I somehow missed it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
The correct answer is Option C

The information given in the question statement can be tabulated as below.

From St. 1:

This is clearly not sufficient.

From St. 2:

Not Sufficient

Combining Statements 1 and 2:

5Y = 50

So, Y = 10%
Therefore, X = 40%

Sufficient.

I Egmat, I am unable to look at the images that have been posted. I tried refreshing and opening it in chrome as well as internet explorer. It will be really helpful if you can pst he images again
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34 (Online)
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35 (Online)
Send PM
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:

The information given in the question statement can be tabulated as below:

From St. 1:

From St. 2:

Not Sufficient

5Y = 50

So, Y = 10%
Therefore, X = 40%

Sufficient.

Hi, the images seem to be corrupted or unavailable.
Can you please update the URLs?
Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [0]
Given Kudos: 1608
Send PM
EgmatQuantExpert ,

Hi, I am unable to view the images in your explanation. Please help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:

The information given in the question statement can be tabulated as below:

From St. 1:

From St. 2:

Not Sufficient

5Y = 50

So, Y = 10%
Therefore, X = 40%

Sufficient.

Hi,
The word 'only' in the first statement is creating some confusion. The statement can mean -> Promoted = Only (1/3 rd of Vaccinated)
Statement 2 doesn't mention when they got vaccinated - last year, year before it or this year?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 828 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
93261 posts