Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 23:49 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 23:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
MBA Career Advice: Share Your Professional Achievements Before Getting [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Career Advice: Share Your Professional Achievements Before Getting Your MBA
You’ve probably heard the Zen koan “If a tree falls in the forest, and there is no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?” Apply this riddle to your career. If you did an amazing job designing a spreadsheet, conducted a slew of really effective and valuable customer interviews, or spent extra time learning a new technology to inform your team’s recommendations, great! Hard work is critical to success. But if no one knows that you did those things, they will not help advance your career. Consider taking these steps before getting your MBA:

• Upgrade your resume and LinkedIn profile to reflect the demands of your target industry and firms.
  • Assemble a template cover letter that you can customize when applying for summer internships.
  • Plan out the specific stories you will tell people in your target firms about your relevant experiences and why you want to work in their industry and firm.
  • Create solid responses to requests such as “Walk me through your resume” and “Tell me about yourself” to introduce yourself during networking events and interviews.
To even apply for your target internships, you will need a compelling resume that fits your target industry and highlights your core accomplishments and results, not—as most people think—your past responsibilities. Just because your resume gained you admission to a top MBA program, do not assume it will differentiate you from your highly accomplished peer set in MBA internship applications. Although your school will provide some support as you seek to refine your resume, most people find that this guidance is too little, too late at a time when they are already swamped with other activities. Therefore, take some time now to dig deeper into your accomplishments so that your resume, your cover letter, and your LinkedIn profile truly highlight where you have excelled in your career and made a meaningful impact on the bottom line of your company or your clients. To work with a coach to explore, define and promote your personal brand so you can shine in MBA recruiting, sign up for our Master Your Personal Brand Engagement.

The post MBA Career Advice: Share Your Professional Achievements Before Getting Your MBA appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Professor Profiles: Gregory B. Fairchild, University of Virginia Darde [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Professor Profiles: Gregory B. Fairchild, University of Virginia Darden School of Business
Many MBA applicants feel that they are purchasing a brand when they choose an MBA program, but the educational experience you will have is what is crucial to your future, and no one will affect your education more than your professors. Each Wednesday, we profile a standout professor as identified by students. Today, we focus on Gregory B. Fairchild from the University of Virginia’s (UVA’s) Darden School of Business.

As an academic director for Darden’s Institute for Business in Society, Gregory B. Fairchild (MBA ’92) is charged with promoting ways in which business leadership can connect to broader societal issues. Fairchild specializes in entrepreneurship, business strategies, and business ethics and researches ways to create value in underserved areas. In 2011, Virginia Business magazine included Fairchild in its “Top 25: People to Watch” feature, and in 2012, both CNN/Fortune and Poets & Quants named him one of the best business school professors in the world.

Fairchild has received a number of teaching excellence awards at Darden, including recognition as an outstanding faculty member in 2008. One alumna we interviewed called Fairchild’s classes “exhilarating” and noted that he reviews his students’ resumes and can tie someone’s background to the topic of the day. She added that he is “scarily good” at cold calls and “won’t let go until he has dug all of the facts out of you.”

For more information about UVA Darden and 15 other top-ranked business schools, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.

The post Professor Profiles: Gregory B. Fairchild, University of Virginia Darden School of Business appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
mbaMission Consultant Spotlight: Heidi Granner [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: mbaMission Consultant Spotlight: Heidi Granner

After leaving a career in financial services, Heidi Granner headed to the University of Chicago Booth School of Business to earn her MBA. Among her other activities while studying at Chicago Booth, she worked as a member of the admissions team evaluating applications and interviewing candidates. After graduating, Heidi began a new career in management consulting with The Boston Consulting Group (BCG), where she worked with clients in consumer goods, financial services, and industrial goods while guiding BCG associates through the MBA admissions process in her free time. She was also heavily involved in recruiting, including interviewing more than 100 MBA students and leading a project to define BCG’s global recruiting strategy. She later joined The Wonderful Company as director of strategy, where she worked primarily on the Cuties California Clementines business, all the while redesigning and leading recruiting efforts for the BCG Consulting Group. Heidi found her passion in one-on-one coaching and has worked as a full-time MBA admissions coach for four years. In her free time, she volunteers weekly as a resume coach at Chrysalis, a nonprofit supporting low-income individuals in their job searches.

Quick Facts
Received MBA from: University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Undergraduate field of study: Math and Theology

Fields worked in before mbaMission: Management Consulting,  Financial Services and Consumer Goods

Working style: Personally invested in client’s success, organized, straight-shooting

Hometown:
Kenai, Alaska 

Five things you want your clients to know about you:

1. Four years experience working in MBA admissions consulting on a full-time basis

2. Worked as a paid member of Booth’s admissions team, reviewing applications and interviews candidates

3. Enjoys working with applicants to uncover their strengths and passions

4. Views part of her role as being both a coach and a cheerleader; for applicants, the process is stressful and it can be helpful to have someone on your team

5. Very organized and will help you prioritize and plan your MBA applications

What Past Clients are Saying:
“Heidi was incredibly valuable in my application process. While I was initially overwhelmed by the process, Heidi helped me craft my overall story, develop essay topics, and provide suggestions on how to improve my essays. This support was extremely helpful, as I ended up with the good fortune of being accepted to both HBS and Stanford.” — Stanford GSB Admit

“Thanks to Heidi, I not only was able to get into a top business school, but I also was able to get one of the most sought after internships (Goldman Sachs investment banking). I am proud to be able to say that I am now a fellow alum and look forward to having Heidi help more great candidates demonstrate their true potential in their applications.” — Chicago Booth Admit

“I wanted to take a moment to thank you for advising me during the application process for Chicago Booth. I structured my essays and refined my resume according to your recommendations … A few days ago I received a call from the director of admissions at Booth to let me know that my application did stand out and I was told that they had fun and enjoyed reading it. Finally, this week I have been offered a place in the University of Chicago Booth School of Business Executive MBA. … Also, thank you for being so candid and professional during this process. You did an incredible job and represented the school very well.” — Chicago Booth EMBA Admit

See more testimonials for Heidi Granner

Watch Heidi’s Video:

Want a free consultation with Heidi? Sign up here

The post mbaMission Consultant Spotlight: Heidi Granner appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Beyond the MBA Classroom: Think Social, Drink Local at NYU Stern [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Beyond the MBA Classroom: Think Social, Drink Local at NYU Stern
When you select an MBA program, you are not just choosing your learning environment but are also committing to becoming part of a community. Each Thursday, we offer a window into life “beyond the MBA classroom” at a top business school.

Hosted jointly by NYU Stern’s Social Enterprise Association and the Luxury and Retail Club, the Think Social, Drink Local event features an “I Heart NY” themed fashion show highlighting New York–based designers (with Stern students and administrators as models) and an open bar offering beverages produced by local vineyards, distilleries, and breweries. The tenth annual event, which took place in March 2015, was held at 404 NYC. These events raise money for Stern’s Social Impact Internship Fund, which is aimed at helping first-year students who hope to find internships within the joint fields of society and business. An organizer of the 2012 event explained to mbaMission that the event “highlight[s] the economic impact of locally minded consumption and the importance of production jobs and small businesses to a thriving local community.”

For in-depth descriptions of social and community activities at NYU Stern and 15 other top MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.

The post Beyond the MBA Classroom: Think Social, Drink Local at NYU Stern appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Diamonds in the Rough: Rotman School of Management [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Diamonds in the Rough: Rotman School of Management
MBA applicants can get carried away with rankings. In this series, we profile amazing programs at business schools that are typically ranked outside the top 15.

One of Canada’s top-ranked business schools for finance— the University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management —recently began benefiting from the leadership of a foremost figure in the nation’s financial sector. After Roger Martin stepped down as the school’s dean, former senior deputy governor of the Bank of Canada Tiff Macklem assumed the role for a five-year term in July 2014.

Rotman, ranked first among Canadian MBA programs by the Financial Times, underwent significant growth under Martin’s deanship, both in campus size and endowment. Macklem’s appointment as dean suggests a continued rise in Rotman’s academic profile and its reputation for financial education. “He has vast experience managing large institutions, translating academic research into public policy, and representing Canada on the world stage,” stated the university’s vice president and provost.

In addition to its finance-related strengths, Rotman offers a rather unique approach to core business pedagogy. Relying on what it terms “integrative thinking,” Rotman’s teaching model challenges the compartmentalization of traditional functional areas. Students complete a series of core courses in their first year that emphasize generalized business skills and the ability to think across functional disciplines. In their second year, they are given the option to choose from among ten different major areas, while supplementing their focus with a broader array of elective courses.

The post Diamonds in the Rough: Rotman School of Management appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Friday Factoid: The MIT Sloan Application Review Process [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Friday Factoid: The MIT Sloan Application Review Process
What does the MIT Sloan application review process entail? True to the rigorous analytic nature of its curriculum—MIT applications are reviewed in a rigorous analytic fashion! When the admissions office receives an application, the candidate’s information is loaded into a database and the application is printed. Rod Garcia, who has been MIT Sloan’s admissions director for nearly 30 years, first reviews every application online, then distributes the applications randomly among the school’s admissions readers, all of whom are either internal admissions staff members or contract readers. After picking up a batch of applications, readers review, score, and then return them one week later. The scores are entered into the database, where Garcia reviews them to determine which candidates will be interviewed.

After the selected candidates have been interviewed, their applications are scored again, and the committee then decides which individuals to admit. Application scoring is based on nine attributes, which Sloan divides into two major groups: demonstrated success (e.g., GPA, GMAT, work accomplishments) and leadership (e.g., high competency in creativity, relationship building, goal setting, influencing). Each attribute group is scored separately, and the two scores are added together. At mbaMission, we always tell candidates that MBA admissions is not a science—yet at MIT Sloan, a little science comes into play after all.

For more information on MIT Sloan or 15 other leading MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
The post Friday Factoid: The MIT Sloan Application Review Process appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Admissions Myths Destroyed: My Recommender’s Grammar Will Ruin My Chan [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Admissions Myths Destroyed: My Recommender’s Grammar Will Ruin My Chances
At mbaMission, we emphasize the need for effective written communication. Indeed, gaining admission to your target school involves no real “trick”—earning that coveted letter of acceptance depends on your ability to tell your story in a compelling way and in your own words. But is good grammar vital to good communication? And if so, will your recommender’s bad grammar be detrimental to your chances?

We can assure you that no MBA admissions committee will reject a candidate’s application because he/she incorrectly used a semicolon instead of a comma. The committee is seeking to learn about you as an individual to evaluate you and your potential, both as a student at the school and in the business world after graduation. What is most important in your application is that you convey your unique stories—and ideally captivate your reader—in your own voice. Of course, you should always strive to perfect your presentation, but in the end, the quality and authenticity of your content carry more weight than your verbiage and punctuation. And if you are not a native English speaker, you can certainly be forgiven for the occasional idiosyncrasy in your expression.

This is even truer for your recommender. The committee is not evaluating this individual for a spot in the school’s program, so his/her grammar is largely irrelevant to your candidacy. And again, if your recommender is not a native English speaker, the admissions committees can be even more forgiving. The school will not penalize you for having a recommender who grew up in another country or whose English skills are not very polished for any other reason. As long as your recommender can offer anecdotes about your performance that create a strong impression about you and complement the abilities and qualities you have presented elsewhere in your application, you should be just fine. The substance of the recommendation is always what matters most.

The post Admissions Myths Destroyed: My Recommender’s Grammar Will Ruin My Chances appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
GMAT Impact: What Is Data Sufficiency? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: GMAT Impact: What Is Data Sufficiency?
With regard to the GMAT, raw intellectual horsepower helps, but it is not everything. In this blog series, Manhattan Prep’s Stacey Koprince teaches you how to perform at your best on test day by using some common sense.

If you have only recently started studying for the GMAT (or even if you have been studying for a while!), you are likely annoyed by Data Sufficiency (DS). What is this weird question type, and why do they ask it? More importantly, how do we handle it?

What is Data Sufficiency?
The GMAT really is not a math test. (Neither is the GRE—we will look at a weird GRE quant question type next week.) These tests are actually trying to test us on our “executive reasoning” skills—that is, how well we make decisions and prioritize when faced with too many things to do in too little time.

So, DS questions are really about quickly analyzing a collective set of data and trying to figure out which pieces you need to do the job. Imagine your boss dumping a bunch of stuff on you and saying, “Hey, our client wants to know whether they should raise the price on this product. Can you answer that question from this data? If so, which pieces do we need to prove the case?”

We do, of course, have to do some math—and sometimes that math is quite annoying. We usually do not, however, have to do as much as we usually do on regular “problem solving” questions (the normal Quant questions).

How does Data Sufficiency work?
First, we are given what is called the “question stem.” Here is an example:

How old is Oliver?

The question stem asks us a question, naturally. It can also provide information, such as the following:

If Oliver’s age is even, how old is Oliver?

Now we know that Oliver’s age is an even number. If they told me, for example, that Oliver is either 13 or 14 years old, now I know he is definitely 14, because I should only consider even numbers as possible values for Oliver’s age.

Next, the problem will give us two statements, such as the following:

(1) Oliver is 4 years older than Sam.

(2) Sam will be 11 years old in 5 years.

So, can we figure out how old Oliver is? What information would we need to do so? The first statement, by itself, does not help, because we do not know how old Sam is. The second statement, by itself, also does not help, because it does not tell us anything about Oliver.

If we put the two statements together, however, then we can actually figure out how old Oliver is. In this case, using both statements 1 and 2 together is sufficient to answer the question. (And this situation corresponds to answer choice C on the GMAT.)

DS questions have five possible answers:

(A) Statement 1 does help us to answer the question but statement 2 does not.

(B) Statement 2 does help us to answer the question but statement 1 does not.

(C) Neither statement works on its own, but I can use them together to answer the question.

(D) Statement 1 works by itself and statement 2 works by itself.

(E) Nothing works. Even if I use both statements together, I still cannot answer the question.

Okay, these are weird. How do I get better?
These are going to take some practice, yes. In addition, this was only a very short introduction; a ton of great strategies are out there that you can learn. Look for books, articles, classes, and other resources to help. (Here is one to get you started.)

You also, of course, have to learn a bunch of math. What we have presented here, though, should help you get started on this kind-of-bizarre question type in the first place!

The post GMAT Impact: What Is Data Sufficiency? appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
MBA News: Activist Investors Are Enthralling Business School Students [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA News: Activist Investors Are Enthralling Business School Students
A relatively new trend is buzzing within the business school world: activist investors. The Wall Street Journal (WSJ), exploring the phenomenon earlier this month, observed that such schools as Columbia Business School and Harvard Business School are introducing more activist investment case studies to the curriculum and inviting investors to speak at the schools in response to students’ rapidly spreading interest in this topic. The fascination with activist investors could very well change the course of some MBAs’ careers, as many students who once planned to pursue more traditional types of investing jobs have recently changed direction.

A high and rapidly manifesting pay rate is a possible lure for some students, but one recent UCLA Anderson School of Management graduate told the WSJ that making a deeper impact on companies through direct investments could also be a draw. “There’s definitely excitement around [activist investors] and what they do,” the student, Lance Cannon, said. Yet, some experts say the trend could prove to be a dud because of its fast pace and alleged lack of commitment to the future. “There’s plenty of evidence to support the view that activism does far more harm than good,” Cornell Law School professor Lynn Stout commented in the article. Despite the criticism, activism appears to be claiming a prominent seat within business schools. “Activism has changed so much about business,” Christopher Crawford, a Columbia Business School second-year student, told the WSJ. “Whether you think it’s constructive or not, it’s not going away.”

The post MBA News: Activist Investors Are Enthralling Business School Students appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Monday Morning Essay Tip: Set the Tone in Your Opening Lines [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Monday Morning Essay Tip: Set the Tone in Your Opening Lines
As any good journalist will tell you, the key to writing a good newspaper story or opinion piece is to make sure the very first line grabs the reader’s attention. Many authors employ this tactic when writing books. Perhaps few of us have actually read Herman Melville’s Moby Dick, but many know that the novel begins with three famous words: “Call me Ishmael.” A powerful first line can stick with readers long after they have finished reading—and sometimes even when they have not read something firsthand. For example, we all likely recognize the phrase “It was a dark and stormy night,” but few of us may know that it is the opening line of a book by an obscure writer (Paul Clifford by Edward George Bulwer-Lytton).

Although beginning an essay with a very short introduction is the norm, sometimes a punchy opening line can grab the reader’s attention in a useful way. Consider the differences between these pairs of openers. Which line in each example better captures your attention?

Example 1: A “Why MBA?” essay

A: “After I graduate with my MBA, I want to work in the wine industry.”

B: “Blood runs in the veins of all humans, but wine also runs in mine.”

Example 2: A “What are you most passionate about in life?” essay

A: “I enjoy nothing more than playing ice hockey.”

B: “As soon as the nearby river freezes, I wake at 6 a.m. each day and join my teammates for a prework hockey scrimmage.”

No set formula exists for opening lines. In fact, the possibilities are endless, and each opener depends on the context of the story being told. Nonetheless, our point is that you must carefully consider your opening line, because it will set the tone for your essay and determine whether your reader will want to read more.

The post Monday Morning Essay Tip: Set the Tone in Your Opening Lines appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Mission Admission: What Is Your Tipping Point? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Mission Admission: What Is Your Tipping Point?
Mission Admission is a series of MBA admission tips; a new one is posted each Tuesday.

This scenario may be hard for you to imagine when you are still in the midst of applying to business schools, but every year at mbaMission, we see clients get accepted to an MBA program only to realize it is not a place they actually want to attend after all. Alternatively, we occasionally see applicants who are not accepted to any school and realize they must remain in a job they were more than ready to leave.

So how do some candidates end up in these kinds of situations? In both these scenarios, the applicants chose and applied to schools without first taking an honest look at their candidacy, goals, and alternatives. We encourage all applicants to very thoroughly consider where their true tipping point lies in terms of attending business school. At what point would not going to school be better than going to X school? Some candidates feel that if they do not go to Harvard Business School, they may as well not go to business school at all. Others believe they must attend a school in the top ten. Still others think, “I really hope to go to a top ten program, but I’ll be happy to attend any top-30 school.” Having a frank discussion with yourself (or perhaps with us) on this topic may help you pinpoint where this cutoff point is for you.

Start by researching all the MBA programs at which you believe you would be competitive and then organize them into three clusters: dream schools, reasonable schools, and safer schools. Next, further investigate the schools you deemed “reasonable” and “safer,” and as you do so, ask yourself, “Would I rather be at this school next year or not be in school at all?” Essentially, we are suggesting that you imagine your worst-case scenario—not getting into any of your dream schools—and decide what you would do in that situation.

Then, in addition to applying to your dream programs, apply only to those reasonable and safer schools for which you felt going would be preferable to not attending any MBA program at all. This way, you can avoid finding yourself in either of the situations we described at the beginning of this post and instead will be well positioned to embrace the choices you ultimately have.

The post Mission Admission: What Is Your Tipping Point? appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
MBA Career Advice: Admit Your Mistakes! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Career Advice: Admit Your Mistakes!
In this weekly series, our friends at MBA Career Coaches will be dispensing invaluable advice to help you actively manage your career. Topics include building your network, learning from mistakes and setbacks, perfecting your written communication, and mastering even the toughest interviews. For more information or to sign up for a free career consultation, visit www.mbacareercoaches.com.

Cliches are clichés for a reason. Here is one that is frequently invoked and entirely true: you will learn from your mistakes. Indeed, this tired old cliché is a professional inevitability, because you don’t possess all necessary knowledge right now. You will try, fail and learn, but the learning will only come to you if you can admit your mistakes, both to yourself and others. Denying mistakes will stifle your growth and could do considerable damage to your relationships with those around you.

Imagine you made a simple error – you zigged instead of zagging. Zagging was definitely the right way to go, but you didn’t know – how could you have known? You zigged. Your boss stops in and inquires as to why you zigged. Surprised, you start to explain why zigging was the right course, but both you and he know zigging was absolutely not the right course. He starts to pursue your reasoning – why are you still defending the choice to zig, which was so clearly wrong? You take it further. He takes it further. You don’t give up and keep defending zigging with flawed logic. Frustrated and confused, he walks away. You haven’t admitted that you went the wrong way, but he knows it and now he regards you as stubborn and worries that the mistake will repeat itself, because you don’t consider it as such.

Now, imagine that you made an error. You zigged instead of zagging and you know that zagging was the right way to go. Your boss comes by and asks why you chose to zig and you tell him it was an error and you explain your flawed reasoning. He works through your thought process, shows you where you went wrong and teaches you how to avoid the same error in the future. You thank him. He says, “No problem.” You have a clear conscience and new skills and he knows that you are determined to get better. Then, next time, you zag and he is thrilled. You are both happier and you have a new skill.

It all seems really simple, but the zag scenario doesn’t come easily to a lot of people. Being forthright about being wrong can seem risky, but the bigger the stakes, the more disarming admitting an error can actually be. In fact, studies have shown that doctors who admit errors in dealing with patients causing death are less likely to be sued than those who refuse to take responsibility. The odds are, your stakes will be a lot lower in a typical MBA profession. Consider owning up to errors large and small – just do your best to make them only once.

The post MBA Career Advice: Admit Your Mistakes! appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Professor Profiles: Margaret Neale, Stanford Graduate School of Busine [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Professor Profiles: Margaret Neale, Stanford Graduate School of Business
Many MBA applicants feel that they are purchasing a brand when they choose an MBA program, but the educational experience you will have is what is crucial to your future, and no one will affect your education more than your professors. Each Wednesday, we profile a standout professor as identified by students. Today, we focus on Margaret Neale from the Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB).

One former GSB student described Margaret (Maggie) Neale to us at mbaMission as “somewhat intimidating” but quickly added “I love her teaching style! She pushes each student way out of their comfort zone to make them a better negotiator using whatever style is appropriate for the situation.” Neale’s research is based on the psychology of conflict and negotiation. She was appointed as the Adams Distinguished Professor of Management in 2012 and serves as faculty director of two of Stanford University’s executive programs—Influence and Negotiation Strategies, and Managing Teams for Innovation and Success—and as codirector of the Executive Program for Women Leaders.

A first year described Neale to mbaMission as “wonderful, legendary,” adding, “She’s been around the Stanford community for a long time. She is very popular, engaging, and friendly. If you have the opportunity to take a class with her, you should. But be warned, her classes are oversubscribed.” In 2011, she became the 13th recipient—and first woman—to be presented with the business school’s Davis Award, which is bestowed upon a faculty member for lifetime achievement.

For more information about the Stanford GSB and 15 other top-ranked business schools, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.

The post Professor Profiles: Margaret Neale, Stanford Graduate School of Business appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
mbaMission Consultant Spotlight: Jen Kedrowski [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: mbaMission Consultant Spotlight: Jen Kedrowski

Having been accepted at several top U.S. and international business schools, Jen Kedrowski ultimately chose to earn her MBA at Cambridge University’s Judge Business School in the United Kingdom. There she focused on marketing and entrepreneurship and was on the winning team of the A.T. Kearney Global Prize Competition, an annual strategic case competition. She also worked closely with the school’s admissions office and founded the Judge Student Ambassadors Club to assist with MBA admissions. After graduating, Jen returned to the United States to work at the corporate headquarters of Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions in the areas of brand management, strategic marketing, GMAT curriculum and MBA admissions. Jen spent several years in London, advising applicants to the leading U.S. and international MBA programs and has served as the featured MBA admissions presenter at seminars across the United States, United Kingdom and Canada, representing Kaplan and the World MBA Tour. In addition, Jen has provided articles and admissions advice to such organizations and publications as TopMBA.com, MSN, Vault,Bloomberg Businessweek and the Association of MBAs, and has developed MBA admissions seminars and workshops that have been used in hundreds of test prep centers in both the United States and the United Kingdom.

Quick Facts
Received MBA from:  Cambridge University’s Judge Business School

Undergraduate field of study: Bachelor of Science in Nursing

Fields worked in before mbaMission: MBA Admissions, Brand Management, Strategic Marketing, Education, GMAT Curriculum and Small Business Ownership

Working style: Honest and direct; Enjoys helping clients identify their unique stories and attributes and show their story in the most engaging way possible

Hometown: Apex, North Carolina

Five things you want your clients to know about you:

1. Has been in the MBA admissions industry for over 12 years, and has been an MBA admissions consultant for over seven years, based out of both the US and UK, helping US and international clients apply to both US and global MBA programs.

2. Has traveled with the World MBA Tour as the featured speaker on MBA admissions topics, and designed the MBA admissions seminars used around the country at Kaplan Test Prep.

3. Believes every person has their own unique aspects, traits, experiences and personal factors; Helping schools get to know “YOU” via digging deep and sharing those traits can make a big impact on admissions decisions.

4. Passionate about international experiences; Feels that travel and experiencing other cultures always helps people learn more about themselves and impacts their perspective in a large way.

5. Realistic and direct with feedback, but also optimistic and supportive overall and enjoy seeing clients exceed their expectations.

What Past Clients are Saying
“I just want to thank you for all the help you provided. Your feedback was extremely helpful… more than I can express in words!!” — Schulich Admit

“I want to thank you for your work with me. I got admitted to Columbia business School- the only place where I applied. And I honestly think that my essays played a strong role, thanks to you!” — Columbia Business School Admit

“Jen was extremely engaging, attentive and allowed me to voice my concerns regarding my application. From there, she helped me develop ways to highlight my strengths and non-traditional background that would best convey to MBA admissions officers that I would be an asset and fit to their program. Our conversation was very natural and informative. I would absolutely recommend her as a resource to anyone applying for an MBA.” — B-School Applicant

See more testimonials for Jen Kedrowski

Watch Jen’s Video

Want a free consultation with Jen? Sign up here

The post mbaMission Consultant Spotlight: Jen Kedrowski appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Beyond the MBA Classroom: Building Goodness at UVA Darden [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Beyond the MBA Classroom: Building Goodness at UVA Darden
When you select an MBA program, you are not just choosing your learning environment but are also committing to becoming part of a community. Each Thursday, we offer a window into life “beyond the MBA classroom” at a top business school.

Every spring, students at the University of Virginia (UVA) Darden School of Business take a day to partner with area contractors and builders to rehabilitate houses in the Charlottesville area for low-income, disabled, and elderly homeowners. The preparations for “build day” take much of the school year. Students involved with the Building Goodness Foundation select the projects, coordinate the suppliers and volunteers, collect the necessary funds, and apply for permits. Since the program’s inception in 1991, Darden students have volunteered thousands of hours of their time, in addition to investing more than $1M in improvements in the area. In December, the organization sponsors a formal ball as a fundraiser for the event. The ball features a live auction that takes place between a cocktail hour and a sit-down dinner and dancing. A first-year blogger raved about the ball in a February 2012 post, saying it “has been hands-down one of my favorite events to date. Not only was it an incredible social event, but it was a friendly reminder that it’s not all about ‘increasing shareholder value.’”

In April 2014, several hundred Darden students made improvements to a dozen homes in the Charlottesville area. A first year commented in a Charlottesville Newsplex article that month, “A day like today, we all come out in force and do as much as we can to help out [with] little projects around the house,” adding, “To meet some of the people in the community and do something for someone else, it’s a good feeling.”

For in-depth descriptions of social and community activities at UVA Darden and 15 other top MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.

The post Beyond the MBA Classroom: Building Goodness at UVA Darden appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Diamonds in the Rough: Innovative Opportunities at the Merage School o [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Diamonds in the Rough: Innovative Opportunities at the Merage School of Business at the University of California, Irvine
MBA applicants can get carried away with rankings. In this series, we profile amazing programs at business schools that are typically ranked outside the top 15.

Thanks to its proximity to the Tech Coast, the Paul Merage School of Business at the University of California, Irvine, offers significant opportunities for students with an eye toward innovative business. “Whether it’s fashion, interactive entertainment, real estate, medical or biotech,” states the school’s site, “Orange County is where these industries flourish.” Indeed, an emphasis on innovation and business pioneering is built directly into what Merage calls its “visionary curriculum,” supplementing conventional business disciplines with three core, cross-disciplinary areas: Strategic Innovation, Information Technology, and Analytic Decision Making.

In addition, several of Merage’s special course offerings and programs showcase the school’s commitment to putting students in contact with the rapidly shifting face of business. The “EDGE” course, for example, which can be taken during students’ second year of study, offers a notable opportunity to gain cutting-edge insight into the relationship between business trends, globalization, and technology. Similarly, through the school’s MBA Field Project, students have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience with current business practices by working directly with locally based global companies. Merage students can also participate each year in the university-wide Business Plan Competition, whose winner claims $15K in funding for his/her proposed start-up venture.

The post Diamonds in the Rough: Innovative Opportunities at the Merage School of Business at the University of California, Irvine appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Friday Factoid: Faculty Mentoring and Development at HBS [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Friday Factoid: Faculty Mentoring and Development at HBS
Harvard Business School (HBS) is well known for using the case method, through which virtually all the school’s classes are taught. Rather than resting on their laurels with regard to teaching the case method, however, HBS faculty members work hard to stay at the top of their game. Complementing the school’s tradition of faculty-to-faculty mentoring, HBS established the C. Roland Christensen Center for Teaching and Learning (named for the late HBS professor) in 2004 to promote and support teaching excellence and innovation. The center conducts research on pedagogical innovation and teaching effectiveness related to gender and diversity issues and helps faculty members refine their teaching styles and techniques. The center also offers professors classroom observations and the opportunity to do pre-class planning, receive within-term troubleshooting/post-term feedback, and conduct case and course development.

For more information on HBS or 15 other leading MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.

The post Friday Factoid: Faculty Mentoring and Development at HBS appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
   1  ...  43   44   45   46   47  ...  179   
Moderator:
1452 posts